Anyone buy a Carlton BAr?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew where they stand quality wise compared with Stihl ES and Oregon Powermatch being the standard...I know Stihl has better metallurgy and prob the better bar than Oregon... so between the two where would you place the Carlton? Also some good stuff on their site if you ahevn't looked..a lot of specs if you have adobe acrobat as to their chains and bars poke.. http:www.sawchain.com

I was picking up a new 14" bar and chain for my dads limber a Mac 130 and was getting a 12" bar and chain for my limber Poulan 2000. I picked up and was looking at the Carlton bars and when I flipped it over it had the little gold sticker on it made in Taiwan,bar stamped made Taiwan also. I put the Carlton's back and left. I went and found a Oregon 12" Pro 91 and a Oregon 14" 91 for the saws and they both have made in the USA on them. I was just wondering is just the small Carlton's bars made in Taiwan or have they all went Taiwan? I heard good things about Carlton on this site, but when given the choice of Taiwan bars, I even has a homeowner will find something else.

Dennis Cahoon said:
GB made Carlton bars for years....now Tsumura does. Much better quality.
Well Dennis being financed by Carlton I thought you would be bias.The v-neck Total(Tsumura)the only thing that is good they're easy to drill and replace which happens alot.Seth

I buy Oregon because they are still made in the US.

In my humble opinion. Swedish and German steel is the best in the world. After that it is the manufacturing of the bar itself. I will stick with Stihl.

PS Lakeside we stihl have our own identity in Canada even though Harper ends all his speeches with God bless Canada. LOL.

Arnie

stihlatit said:
PS Lakeside we stihl have our own identity in Canada even though Harper ends all his speeches with God bless Canada. LOL.

Arnie

Being of neutral origins myself, and having that country often referred to as the "8th State of Oz", I know exactly what you mean :)

John Dolmar said:
Well Dennis being financed by Carlton I thought you would be bias.The v-neck Total(Tsumura)the only thing that is good they're easy to drill and replace which happens alot.Seth

Not bias at all....I use Cannon, but the premuim Tsumura is a good bar.

At my local stihl shop they have stihl brand bars some with made in Canada and some with made in Germany.

Dennis wrote: the premuim Tsumura is a good bar

I have one and it is made in Japan. Good quality steel; a tad on the heavy side; it feels solid. I got it on a close out at Bailey's a while back for a decent price.

SawTroll said:
Stihl bars made in Canada are probably rebadged Oregons.
See this tread.

Anything made for the past few years are not rebadged Oregons... quite different in looks and construction. A long time ago Stihl rebadged Sandvick for the high end and Winsor for the low, but I haven't seen a new bar like these for many years.

JPP said:
Both Oregon bars I bought last month said 'Made in the USA'.
Hey JPP, Far more OREGON bars are made in the U.S.A. plant than at the Canadian plant. Both plants have been around for more than fifty years.

Oregon Engineer said:
Hey JPP, Far more OREGON bars are made in the U.S.A. plant than at the Canadian plant. Both plants have been around for more than fifty years.

Well, I always look for things like that.
If I have a choice, I ALWAYS buy things that say 'Made in USA'.
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible these days.

JPP said:
Well, I always look for things like that.
If I have a choice, I ALWAYS buy things that say 'Made in USA'.
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible these days.
I agree totally! The greatest threat to the U.S.A. is "Made in China". We send them raw materials and China sends back finished products and at a huge deficit. Kinda reminds me of our early days when we were a colony of England.

Oregon Engineer said:
I agree totally! The greatest threat to the U.S.A. is "Made in China". We send them raw materials and China sends back finished products and at a huge deficit. Kinda reminds me of our early days when we were a colony of England.

Very true!
I think about the 1930's when the US was sending steel and iron to Japan. They turned it into tanks and war ships. I hope China is not thinking the same thing.

Back