anyone buy used broken saws to fix them and then sell agin ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasontech

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am a newby I bought a ms 260 that had been run with straight gas and I put in a piston and jug I haveabout $200 into saw and I would think the saw is worth at least $300 so got me thinking. The guy I bought saw from at a small engin shop said he had 2 more stihl 026 saws that need motor work and he would sell them so my question is does anyone do this alot and can give me some advice because the guy I know had about 20 saws in back that was his old parts pile huskis and even a stilh 044 that needed a crank any input would be great thanks !

Are you kidding? :smile2: I only have 1 new saw, the rest I bought cheap and most needed work, I have kept more than I have sold as I have a problem called CAD. I think most here enjoy making a old or used up saw run like new again, some will even make them look as if they came off the show room floor. Buy as many as you can and enjoy.

yea but what fun is that ? anyone now how hard it is to become a small stihl dealer. the one in my hometown is a joke can't fix anything can't order the right parts they asked me if I wanteda job to fix some saws blower ex..... I said I would come in and talkto them , long story short they wanted to pay me 7 per hour I laughed and said I make 20 per hour at a transmission shop but I need to make some extra side money .

I buy plenty of non runners. Then i fix them and can't come to sell them. I have packrat syndrome LOL...Bob

If you can get the saws, you will make plenty of money parting them out. I buy new Stihl saws and part them out too.

Most shops make $30+ a hour for labor and that is on the cheap side. I would tell them $25 an hour UtT or no deal he can do it himself, you would make more from buying them and selling parts or fixing up and selling. For $7 a hour there would be a lot of coffee drinking and bull$hiting with customers because you get what you pay for. What a cheap skate.

Thought about it before, but got enough project's of my own, and like Jim and Bob said I bet I would keep more than sold LOL! Kinda get attachched to them myself. Norm............

where do you guys buy the saws ?? how much do you pay ,on averadge I payed 50 bucks for the ms 260 looked pretty new also I thought it was the best one of the bunch

where do you guys buy the saws ?? how much do you pay ,on averadge I payed 50 bucks for the ms 260 looked pretty new also I thought it was the best one of the bunch

for that price I would buy every one he had. I also buy out of the junk pile of small engine shops, craigslist, and word of mouth, I am going to have to check out the local scrap yards.

It's hard to let them go after you fix them up. I have sold a couple like that but my wife does better parting out old saws on fleabay. If you enjoy doing it that's great, you won't make a ton but you may be able to do it to support CAD, that's the only reason I sell any of them. If it's something you are interested in doing to make a little extra, try hitting the scrap yards. Sometimes you can find some gems at the scrap yard that don't have much wrong with them.

Most shops make $30+ a hour for labor and that is on the cheap side. I would tell them $25 an hour UtT or no deal he can do it himself, you would make more from buying them and selling parts or fixing up and selling. For $7 a hour there would be a lot of coffee drinking and bull$hiting with customers because you get what you pay for. What a cheap skate.

yea thats what I thought they ended up hireing the guy that worked in the wood burning stove department to do all the stihl repairs what a joke

Many people do this, but don't look to make millions doing it. By the time you factor in your time, the cost of parts, gas, dealing with cheapskates looking to beat you down on price your $20 an hour job will look pretty good.

Parting saws out takes time and then you have the hassle of shipping.

I've bought and fixed and sold lots of saws on the side but I don't recall ever making much money doing it. I see it as an enjoyable hobby that pays for itself. Hell, if I knew how to rebuild transmissions, that's what I would do on the side. It pays tons better than fixing saws.

Since I am not a certified small engine repair guy, or actually have a business I only charge $15 a hour + parts. I try to get projects done in a timely manner and am up front with the customer, If I can fix it I will, if it is not worth my time or their money I won't charge them anything. I don't charge for diagnosis. The good thing about doing this is you get to decide how busy you will be, and word of mouth is the best advertising, so is craigslist.

I've bought and fixed and sold lots of saws on the side but I don't recall ever making much money doing it. I see it as an enjoyable hobby that pays for itself. Hell, if I knew how to rebuild transmissions, that's what I would do on the side. It pays tons better than fixing saws.

takes alot to set up my garage for a build room would cost about 3 k for the stuff needed to rebuild in my home I have tryed this and came to the conclution Its not worth it I rebuild that saw in like 4 hours 1st time. who knows just trying to make a buck

I have repaired some saws and sold them on e-bay. I stopped doing it because the profit margin was small and the buyers could be unbearable. I found out some people buy used and think they are getting new-out of the box.

I did best selling parts or repair saws. With parts/repair saws I had no time into them. I simply spotted problems and listed the saw as such.

I have a bunch that I have bought and fixed.
Haven't sold many at all.

I thought CAD was bad but CRAP (Chainsaw Resurrection Addiction Phenomenon) is a lot worse!!!

As has been said, the troubles are;

1) Many want as much for a junker as a good used saw will bring.
2) If you figure anything for time, travel, fuel, tools and so fourth you will be working for free OR LESS!
3) Buyers are CHEAP!! Unless a storm just went through they will needle and jew the devil out of you.
4) Everyone thinks a repaired saw should have a lifetime warranty, regardles of what THEY did to screw it up!

The list goes on and on but I'm sure you get the idea.
But if you think you can make a go of it, by all means give it a shot.................maybe I can pick up a few BARGAINS from you!!!LOL

Mike

I got a shop I buy from all saws $25 a piece no matter what it is just bought a ms180,ms210 and 026 pro last time out fixed all three and cleared $250 after buying parts all in a matter of about a week sold them right out of the front yard and craigslist, I love it !!!!! wouldn't trade it for nothin !!! by the way whoever said shops charge about #30 an hour I would take all my saws there if I didn't work on them myself, my shop charges $75 an hour !!!!

i have bought and sold a lot of saws,, i never made a lot of money on them if any at all but i just love getting them running

Back