Anyone chalk-lining or using Malloff designed gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stumbled upon a couple sites through here and elsewhere where people freehand mill with a jred 2171 and a chalkline. Anyone here doing that? Also saw some of the inventive stuff Will Malloff has been doing for years. Any resources asides from a 69-99 dollar collectible hardcover book? Will I have to call or write him personally.

feedback please.

Stumbled upon a couple sites through here and elsewhere where people freehand mill with a jred 2171 and a chalkline. Anyone here doing that? Also saw some of the inventive stuff Will Malloff has been doing for years. Any resources asides from a 69-99 dollar collectible hardcover book? Will I have to call or write him personally.

feedback please.

I often snap a chalkline when freehand milling the sides off of a slab I just milled from a log. Makes it easier to mill a strait line, especially when I start at both end and meet in the middle. I actually modified the end of the chalkline by inserting a 6p nail in a small aluminum L shaped piece, so I can tap it into the end of the log and it stays there as I pull it to the other end and line it up when I am alone.

Chain Saw Lumbermaking

I just visited Will Malloff's website. No information on "Chainsaw Lumbermaking". I have searched exhaustively for a reasonably priced copy to no avail. Maybe if enough of us contacted him he would consider making more copies available at a reasonable price. $20?

From his site:
To contact Will Malloff please write to:
E.A.R.T.H. Mission One
P.O. Box 541
Alert Bay, B.C.
Canada
V0N 1A0

Freehand cutting using lines

If I need to do any freehand cutting, what I have done in the past is, to run a string line down the log, then use a tin of road marking spray I have, this gives a nice positive line to follow, chalk tends to blow away making it harder to see and follow.

I just visited Will Malloff's website. No information on "Chainsaw Lumbermaking". I have searched exhaustively for a reasonably priced copy to no avail. Maybe if enough of us contacted him he would consider making more copies available at a reasonable price. $20?

From his site:
To contact Will Malloff please write to:
E.A.R.T.H. Mission One
P.O. Box 541
Alert Bay, B.C.
Canada
V0N 1A0

The site:
spirit-wrestlers.com
says that he is looking for someone to pick up the rights to reprint. Since he lost money on the first printing you would have to sell for more than 20 bucks to break even.

If I need to do any freehand cutting, what I have done in the past is, to run a string line down the log, then use a tin of road marking spray I have, this gives a nice positive line to follow, chalk tends to blow away making it harder to see and follow.

I will use that one. Thank you.

I wonder if he would consider E-publishing? I could probably help with that
depending on what he wants...

Wifey has e-published several books...

Dang, I had no idea this book was worth that much! I inherited it from my grandfather a few years ago after he died and it's pretty much responsible for my interest in milling. He was a cabinetmaker and had a standing subscription to Fine Woodworking for decades, so maybe he got it included in that sometime, because I don't believe he ever owned a chainsaw.

Book

I would love to find his book at a reasonable price. Its hard for me to think about paying 75 bucks for a used dog eared copy.

Library Loan System

I ordered a copy from my local library, they found it somewhere and I had use of it for two weeks. Of course a personal copy would be nice.

Back