Newbie with a thirst for knowledge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comingbackdown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I don't even know where to start. I suppose a very brief introduction is in order. Eh, screw brief. I lie through my teeth. I always say "brief introduction", and I end up writing a book. My apologies. Read if you have the time. My apologies if I'm too wordy, or if any of my questions seem really, really stupid. I just have no idea where to start. Once I'm started though, I run with things.

Keep in mind two things. I have occasional bouts of insomnia. When I'm tired, I tend to ramble just a bit too much for anyone's good. At this moment, I'm so stupidly tired I can barely type. At least I know what I want to ask about.

I'm 20 years old, 21 in December. I've been running saws out cuttin' firewood for a good while now. Got a few saws under me, some borrowed, a couple owned, some in need of work or minor tweaking.

I love running a saw. First one was my grandfather's Echo 302 trimming a massively overgrown tree. That saw sits in my garage waiting for a little TLC.

I've loved climbing trees since I was real young. By the time I was about 12 years old, I had enough muscle and long enough limbs to do some real climbin'.
I scared the daylights out of my mother once. She came outside lookin' for me, rounded the barn and just about jumped out of her skin when she realized I was staring at her from near forty foot off the ground the whole time. :)

I've been searching for something good to get into, something that I love doing, for quite some time, and after being dropped here during a search for parts, I realized I'd already been whetting the appetite for it.

I want to work in tree service, whether it be with a company or on my own. My goal is to become a certified arborist, that I may take proper care of my own trees and those of anybody who'd have me do the job.

I have a lot to learn though. I'd like to start by looking for a job with some of the local companies. There are some things that I'm missing, though, and some I'm sure I'd have to learn on the job. Let the education begin.

Most of what I know, I learned cutting firewood. I don't know much about tree care, so any knowledge you can impart would be much appreciated. Our Pin Oak is in bad need of trimming, and I don't want to hurt the tree in the process, or have it grow back looking like it got a haircut from a drunken barber.

I've studied up on felling, limbing, bucking, etc. I've got experience there. I've never worked off the ground though, other than very, very short ladders.

Direct me to books or articles or whatnot if nothing else will do. I'm here to learn, and will follow any advice y'all can give. If something is in no way possible to learn and practice on my own and must be learned in the field just let me know.

What I don't know:
Climbing: Sure, I can climb... until I run out of limbs that are thick enough to pull myself up with. Never used climbing equipment, don't know much about it. I've certainly never hauled a saw up in a tree with me either.

Let us say you have a tree that needs dropped, very large, close to a house. Not something you'd want to just try felling and hope. How do you go about it? I'm guessing from watching it being done that you'd need to take some of the top out and then sculpt somewhat to keep weight pulling it where you want it to drop, working from the top down. Or, as I've seen done more than once, slice the top out, tie off and remove the limbs, chop the log down piece by piece, and drop the main log when it's too short to hit anything breakable.

Educate me.

Jeez... I have so much to learn. I may or may not have a shot going to work for a local service. I'd enjoy that. Problem is most of them list a CDL as a job requirement, and I can't even get one yet.

Anything you can elaborate upon, recommend some reading on, etc. I'm all ears. I'll meet my goals if it takes everything I've got.

Now, to end this post, I want to thank this site in general. I started lurking here after I stumbled upon the site in a search for parts. After five days straight of poring over page after page of information trying to find parts for a saw, I found my answer here. The saw is an Olympic 254, my favorite out of all the saws on this property. Two weeks ago, it was a seldom used saw in desperate need of a carb kit and a new air cleaner. Now those parts sit in the garage, and soon enough it'll come alive again. Thanks much, y'all. If I hadn't found that one post on this one forum among all the information one can find on the internet, that thing would've ended up as an ornamental reminder of better days, collecting dust day after day.

My sincerest apologies for being a forum novelist. I'm just fighting a losing battle against impatience. I wanna get out and do more than "Go into the woods, fell tree, cut up tree, split, load, bring home, stack, dry, burn in wood stove, repeat." Don't get me wrong, that's fun, but... I've got the itch. I want to advance, I want to do more, to learn, to excel, to grow, and to do things the right way from the get go!

I'm gonna grab some sleep now. Much to do in the morning. My backyard is decorated by a massive stack of wood chunks that need split (busted the handle on the splitting maul. I get to wake up, eat, get dressed, and go to town with an axe, a sledge, and wedges. Wish me luck.) and a pile of sawdust that'd take several of me to cover it. I also have a chain to sharpen.

Peace, y'all.

Ok welcome to AS saws n trees with much to learn with many mistakes ready for you along the way. Your poor mom gonna rue the day she found you in a tree. Some here may say turn go find yourself a easier safer cleaner career somthin that will get you closer to pretty girls. Hmm ladies shop window dressing comes to mind. So, if trees it is, here at AS all to find.

Books start with http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/index.html

The best way to learn is to get a job with a tree service and get hands on experience. Reading will give you some but working with a pro will teach you a million times faster.

Thanks for asking questions first. Best advice is to hire on with a reputable company. One forewarning, some of the national companies require a college degree before you can advance far in the co. But, if you are happy being a climber, you may not want to go to the top, of the company that is.

As for the gals, don't worry, they love real men. Before my wife and I were dating she tried to set me up with one of her girl friends. Then she felt one of my hands and said she would never let me touch one of her friends with hands as hard and rough as that. I replied, "What do your friends want? To be touched by a man , or another woman?" You can figure out the end of that story, Joe.

If you really want to learn, get a job as a groundy with a reputable tree company. Also, get your hands on a copy of the Arborist Certification Study Guide and the Tree Climbers Companion. Those two books have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. Knowing how to run a saw is really such a small part of this business. Good luck.

I don't even know where to start. I suppose a very brief introduction is in order. Eh, screw brief. I lie through my teeth. I always say "brief introduction", and I end up writing a book. My apologies. Read if you have the time. My apologies if I'm too wordy, or if any of my questions seem really, really stupid. I just have no idea where to start. Once I'm started though, I run with things.

Keep in mind two things. I have occasional bouts of insomnia. When I'm tired, I tend to ramble just a bit too much for anyone's good. At this moment, I'm so stupidly tired I can barely type. At least I know what I want to ask about.

I'm 20 years old, 21 in December. I've been running saws out cuttin' firewood for a good while now. Got a few saws under me, some borrowed, a couple owned, some in need of work or minor tweaking.

I love running a saw. First one was my grandfather's Echo 302 trimming a massively overgrown tree. That saw sits in my garage waiting for a little TLC.

I've loved climbing trees since I was real young. By the time I was about 12 years old, I had enough muscle and long enough limbs to do some real climbin'.
I scared the daylights out of my mother once. She came outside lookin' for me, rounded the barn and just about jumped out of her skin when she realized I was staring at her from near forty foot off the ground the whole time. :)

I've been searching for something good to get into, something that I love doing, for quite some time, and after being dropped here during a search for parts, I realized I'd already been whetting the appetite for it.

I want to work in tree service, whether it be with a company or on my own. My goal is to become a certified arborist, that I may take proper care of my own trees and those of anybody who'd have me do the job

Most of what I know, I learned cutting firewood. I've never worked off the ground though,

What I don't know:
Climbing:

Jeez... I have so much to learn.

Peace, y'all.

Good luck.
Jeff

Get yourself a copy of the latest Sherrill Arborist supply catalog. It's got lots of educational material to buy and just looking through the catalog is an education in itself. Just google them.

Well, an entry level job opened up at a local nursery. I'm going down there this morning to apply! Related: Damned insomnia!

"Modern arborculture" and "the new encyclopedia to tree biology" by alex shigo are great books to have for references. a little pricey but a lot to learn in the books. ISA certification study guide is an other great book to have. If you do go to work for a local company make sure they are not ran by some hillbilly that cares more about the money than the trees. You can do more harm than good if dont do work properly and proper times. Good luck to ya. any questions feel free to send me direct questions. I will only give facts and if i dont know i will tell you i dont know and we can find the answers.

Dropped off some resumes today. Hopin' and prayin'. In the mean time, I may have to manufacture a special tool to work on one of my saws, since I don't have a source for said tool. I've got an idea, though.

I'm in the same position

Trying to find a spot to start in. Give us an update if you found work.

Latest posts

Back