Anyone climb for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crazy.

first of all. one of you guys are going to end up all sorts of hurt. just because you own a rope and or saddle doesnt make you a tree guy. you havent put in the time. simply put.

do you know the differences between the way different wood acts?

on day you are going to take on a tree , and i wont tell you what kind because you are going to need to learn the hard way, that doesnt act like an oak and end up severely F'd up if not dead.

you are the epitomy of the "guy in a pick up" acting like a real tree guy.

great you are helping some old bird out, really good for you. but dont act like you are doing us any favors. you are not. why the hell do you think companies have equipment and why do you think bids might be more than your 200 dollar working alllll day effort? equipment costs money as does insurance and advertising. what you are doing is taking money out of real workers pocket.

what i laugh about is that you are sucking all that you know about tree work off a website. which is called "arboristsite". not "doing hard work for damn near free site" or "i spent 400 on a saddle and now look at me i'm a tree guy site"

one day and soon this little gamble of yours is going to take a father away from their kids. which in no way shape or form what i wish.

but be a little realistic about what you are doing.

like i said avalancher. i have a wrench. do you want me to come over and fix your diesel while you make me a sandwich? do you have insurance for your "tree company" ?

and haywood. do you run the risk of dying everytime you cut the lawn or paint a concrete wall? yes there is a difference.

good luck out there "jack legs".

Well, Im sorry that you took my post/question personal. I dont claim to be a tree guy, far from it. I love to run my saws and cut wood, and there really isnt any more to the story. If I had the opportunity to work with a real tree guy and learn from him, then I would. But sadly I have bills to pay so I have to resort to working my business and leaving the wood cutting to when I have a day off or when I can spare the time
As far as learning to climb by reading here on ArboristSite, far from it. Mostly I have gotten your type of response when I ask a question about how to rig for a certain type of task, methods, etc. Namely a heated and pessimistic response to a valid question. I am truly sorrry that you feel that I am threat to your livelyhood.
As far as you have a wrench, come on over. I am not trying to be sarcastic. The last time I totalled up what I have spent on factory training from Cat,Detroit Diesel, and Cummins, it was a little over 175K spread over a 20 year period, but I welcome anyone that would like to learn a new trade. My shop has several new guys working for me that want to learn, but never paid a cent to learn from a school. A great deal of my time is spent on road calls along major highways where the danger of getting run over is pretty good, but I have never hestitated in taking along a guy that wants to learn.

The way that I look at it, I want to learn everything that I can about anything that interests me.If someone is not available to teach me, then I have to resort to learning on my own. You can flame me all you want, but I know for a fact that at some point in your life you were in the learning stages for your trade. Dont hold it against me if you had someone to show you but I do not. As you said, I have to put in the time,and that is exactly what I am doing.Putting in the time and learning where I can.

Never in my life have I seen an industry so hostile to a new guy wanting to learn something.

Use whatever talents you have to make whatever money you can.

The modern attitude that only certain people with certain skills/licenses/certificates/degrees or in certain unions or associations should be allowed to make a living at certain jobs is one major contributing factor to why prices are so high for all sorts of basic services.

The line of reasoning that says only "professionals" should do certain jobs, also leads us inexorably to an over-regulation of our daily lives. Once a group of plumbers, for example, decide that there is a sufficient supply of plumbers in an area or state, they begin to lobby the government to impose restrictions like licensing and certification requirements on performing plumbing services (which by the way are usually tailored to meet the exact standards of those aforementioned plumbers) to limit the amount of competition in the market place. This same tactic is employed in all of the skilled trades and effectively prevents anyone without an "in" into an industry from getting work. So, not only can I not afford to hire a plumber, if my dad or uncle isn't a plumber I can't be one, nor am I allowed to fix my own pipes. (in some areas you quite literally can't legally fix your own plumbing or electrical unless you are a "licensed professional")

I can understand wanting to preserve the reputation of the industry in which you have labored so hard to become skilled and a desire to maintain your wages as high as possible. The way to do it is not through discouraging competition or by soliciting the force of government to protect your interest, but by educating your customers and providing a superior product.

right on, this is what I was trying to get across to olddirty, but the only way he seems to thing he can innovate and educate is to work for "ham sandwiches and cookies". Good post although I think it will fall on deaf and ignorant ears.

Wow, a lot of insecurity here!

While I do own a small landscape and tree business, I fully support Iowa, Strong, and Avalancher on their point of view here.

There's plenty of work out there for all of us, you just have to look for it and find your niche. I see nothing wrong with the little guys taking a small piece of the cheese. Lets face it, the number of little independent guys out there climbing that have the equipment and skills to tackle real pro level tree work is completely insignificant. Sure there's a guy here and there, but he's certainly not going to make or break any true tree business that's worth anything.

While I do own a small landscape and tree business, I fully support Iowa, Strong, and Avalancher on their point of view here.

There's plenty of work out there for all of us, you just have to look for it and find your niche. I see nothing wrong with the little guys taking a small piece of the cheese. Lets face it, the number of little independent guys out there climbing that have the equipment and skills to tackle real pro level tree work is completely insignificant. Sure there's a guy here and there, but he's certainly not going to make or break any true tree business that's worth anything.
:agree2: What I worry most about these independent guys is that they end up getting injured, usually from falling off the ladder. Falling off a ladder is the #1 cause of injuries in the USA today. I believe it even exceeds bicycles as the top cause of injuries in the nation.

When you try to run a chain saw while sanding on ladder, both hands are occupied and you are leaning. One slip or muscle cramp and you are down. Not to mention the fact that the bar and chain are usually almost at eye level or higher. That's a far cry from bucking felled trees.

I have also watched large limbs drop and knock the ladder right out from under the saw operator. It is often hard to predict where the limb will fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back