Anyone climb for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Climbing trees with power tools is not in my skill set. I doubt it ever will be. I told a guy that wanted a big oak taken down on his rental property that if he got a pro to drop it, I'd haul it off. It's still standing there, all 2 or 3 cord of it.

Ian
+1! Exactly the same situation exists in my neck of the woods. The big oak tree is threatening a building and has been condemned. The landlord is too cheap to hire a crew with a cherry picker to drop it top down. It's been there for a year. I said, "Get it down. Then I'll buck it up, haul it away, and save you some bread."

The tree is still there, half dead. :chainsaw:

I may take some heat on this and maybe some negative rep, but if I can find a demand and provide my supply for cheaper than the other guy, that is capitalism baby! I don't like Walmart and Home Depot much and personally support the local guy, but I fully support their position. They found a way to do it better and cheaper, and if the local guy can't figure out a way to make up for it, then he is going out and it is total BS for him to complain about it.

If all people in the US were truely worried about crap from China they would buy local and pay the extra money to the local guy. But if people have that change of heart, I promise you the big box stores will be the first to follow that trend and raise prices and sell made in the USA.

I got a little off tangent, but hopefully my point is taken. So Avalancher, climb away, make your money, buck the system, you are a capitalist american providing a service for cheaper than someone else, and I fully support it.

I know I would do the same if I could. My buddies and I used to fix cars out of our garage on the weekends, I don't see how that is much different. We had a service that we could offer people to save them money and they took it. If they didn't trust us to do the job they didn't hire us and paid more to take their car to an ASE certified shop. My $.02.

Kyle

crazy.

first of all. one of you guys are going to end up all sorts of hurt. just because you own a rope and or saddle doesnt make you a tree guy. you havent put in the time. simply put.

do you know the differences between the way different wood acts?

on day you are going to take on a tree , and i wont tell you what kind because you are going to need to learn the hard way, that doesnt act like an oak and end up severely F'd up if not dead.

you are the epitomy of the "guy in a pick up" acting like a real tree guy.

great you are helping some old bird out, really good for you. but dont act like you are doing us any favors. you are not. why the hell do you think companies have equipment and why do you think bids might be more than your 200 dollar working alllll day effort? equipment costs money as does insurance and advertising. what you are doing is taking money out of real workers pocket.

what i laugh about is that you are sucking all that you know about tree work off a website. which is called "arboristsite". not "doing hard work for damn near free site" or "i spent 400 on a saddle and now look at me i'm a tree guy site"

one day and soon this little gamble of yours is going to take a father away from their kids. which in no way shape or form what i wish.

but be a little realistic about what you are doing.

like i said avalancher. i have a wrench. do you want me to come over and fix your diesel while you make me a sandwich? do you have insurance for your "tree company" ?

and haywood. do you run the risk of dying everytime you cut the lawn or paint a concrete wall? yes there is a difference.

good luck out there "jack legs".

hey iowa. everything i learned about engineering was self taught from a website. and i'll go do your job for well under a 1/4 of your pay. do you still want me to running around your work places claiming i can do it but i cant be held responsible if i screw it up?

sound like a good deal or what?

I was gonna say something earlier but they ain't gonna listen, OD. That firewood's TOO valuable!

Thanks boss, I'd toss some your way but they won't let me rep you again.

what i laugh about is that you are sucking all that you know about tree work off a website. which is called "arboristsite". not "doing hard work for damn near free site" or "i spent 400 on a saddle and now look at me i'm a tree guy site"

[sarcasm]Well, they don't check for a Loyal Order of Arborist Membership Card (LOAM=another word for dirt) when I registered, so either chill out or go back to TreeGuySite.com[/sarcasm]

Avalancher asked a valid question and has received feedback from both sides. It appears he will continue what he is doing and does not exceed his own ability.

hey iowa. everything i learned about engineering was self taught from a website. and i'll go do your job for well under a 1/4 of your pay. do you still want me to running around your work places claiming i can do it but i cant be held responsible if i screw it up?

sound like a good deal or what?

If you could do it, and the customer is willing to accept the risk, then I support you fully 100 percent. Hell, anyone could do my job with enough time and intelligence. That is capitalism, and if you can do it for less money, then I need to figure something out or I will be out of business.

You sound awful pissed about this whole thing. You must have a lot of people than can do your job and are taking away your business. I can only assume that is why you are taking this so personal.

By the way, I have people do what you are talking about all the time. It does not bother me one bit. I take it as a challenge to take my game to the next level. If I don't innovate, respond to competition and figure out way to do things better and cheaper, then hell I am out of a job. We live in capitalist america, step up your game, do the same as I do. Don't take it personal, other people want to make money too or get their firewood supply for the winter.

I happen to take trees down for persons I know from time to time. I am a computer guy by trade but my Dad and Grandfather both worked for tree services and along with a couple of Uncles had a tree buisness for a few years. I have been around trees my whole life. I am just as qualified as the rest of you professional out there.

BTW how did you prfessionals learn the trade? Go to arborist technical college? You learned by doing and advice from someone else that learned from someone else who learned by doing.

As far as insurance just make sure the homeowner understands that you are not a buisness and you are just a general laborer working for the homeowner that puts all of the liability on the homeowner. You could actully sue the homeowner if you get hurt on his property. I have a friend who is a congresman and he told me years ago when I bought my first home to get workers compensation insurance it costs about $30 per year and protects me it any one gets hurt on my property (the kid from down the road cutting my grass or the farmer that rents my barrn for straw storage ect)

I also fix my own vehicles and do my own home improvement. No one in my family takes their cars to mechanics and we do not hire things done it is call self reliance more people should try it then their kids might know how to take care of themselves instead of calling a plumber when their toilet flapper need replaced. People learn by doing more people should try doing instead of growing up not knowing how to take care of themselves or their posessions.

sorry for the rant but I work with over educated people who can not change a light bulb. (not an exageration my company actully calls an electricitian to chane light bulbs)

"... Sorry for the rant but I work with over educated people who can not change a light bulb. That's not an exageration; my company actually calls an electrician to change light bulbs.
I worked 4 years for a company that hired a technician full time to do practically nothing but change light bulbs. I could have done that job, but I never made fun of the guy who did it. He needed a job and he and I became good friends. That's our society.

I happen to take trees down for persons I know from time to time. I am a computer guy by trade but my Dad and Grandfather both worked for tree services and along with a couple of Uncles had a tree buisness for a few years. I have been around trees my whole life. I am just as qualified as the rest of you professional out there.

BTW how did you prfessionals learn the trade? Go to arborist technical college? You learned by doing and advice from someone else that learned from someone else who learned by doing.

As far as insurance just make sure the homeowner understands that you are not a buisness and you are just a general laborer working for the homeowner that puts all of the liability on the homeowner. You could actully sue the homeowner if you get hurt on his property. I have a friend who is a congresman and he told me years ago when I bought my first home to get workers compensation insurance it costs about $30 per year and protects me it any one gets hurt on my property (the kid from down the road cutting my grass or the farmer that rents my barrn for straw storage ect)

I also fix my own vehicles and do my own home improvement. No one in my family takes their cars to mechanics and we do not hire things done it is call self reliance more people should try it then their kids might know how to take care of themselves instead of calling a plumber when their toilet flapper need replaced. People learn by doing more people should try doing instead of growing up not knowing how to take care of themselves or their posessions.

sorry for the rant but I work with over educated people who can not change a light bulb. (not an exageration my company actully calls an electricitian to chane light bulbs)

an electrician to change a light bulb, hmmmm, sounds like a business opportunity. Professional light bulb changer. I am going to be rich.

We have a "maintence guy" this is no kidding who calls to have the plumber put softner salt in the water softner.

I worked 4 years for a company that hired a technician full time to do practically nothing but change light bulbs. I could have done that job, but I never made fun of the guy who did it. He needed a job and he and I became good friends. That's our society.

I have no problem with the person doing the work.

Like I said I am a computer guy and I have 4 employees that I supervise. Last week I asked one of them to take a printer to an office in another city and they replied "how is the printer going to get there" (the guy thought it was below him to put it in the company van and carry it in there)

sadly that is our society

You sound awful pissed about this whole thing. You must have a lot of people than can do your job and are taking away your business. I can only assume that is why you are taking this so personal.

are you telling me that i should work for nothing? for a ham sandwich? for a couple stories from gramma?

no thanks man.

no i am not pissed, more like insulted.

and you are right about it being capitalism. i try to get as much side work as possible after my 9-5 gig. but i sure as hell am not going to work for nothing or bid so low that it becomes not worth the effort.

avalancher. i got my wrench. where's that diesel engine you got?

jetskiman. for someone coming from a tree guy background i think you being in the office has softened up your head.

just stay safe all you guys who try this sh1t at home when you are not doing your day job. you gotta be tapped to try to take on the deadliest of occupations for nothing and some firewood.

jetskiman. for someone coming from a tree guy background i think you being in the office has softened up your head.

I don't know about soft in the head but it is making me fat, I trim trees and cut fire wood mostly for the exercise:)

are you telling me that i should work for nothing? for a ham sandwich? for a couple stories from gramma?

no thanks man.

and you are right about it being capitalism. i try to get as much side work as possible after my 9-5 gig. but i sure as hell am not going to work for nothing or bid so low that it becomes not worth the effort.

just stay safe all you guys who try this sh1t at home when you are not doing your day job. you gotta be tapped to try to take on the deadliest of occupations for nothing and some firewood.

my point has been lost, you are getting too emotional to think clearly. Lowering your price is not the only way to innovate and gain customers. Think outside the box. This is your business, your life, your way of making ends meet. I can't tell you how to do it.

no thanks man.

Would you get over yourself a little bit? He obviously has some experience doing this and if he wants to do it cause he enjoys it so what! Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what you do is easy work by any means, I had climbing training in my forestry class in high school, but it doesn't mean that no one but an arborist can do it. Thats kind of like the guys like THALL and Andy getting on some of us who try to fix our own saws, they give out advise not put us down and chastise us for trying.

Kyle

Would you get over yourself a little bit? He obviously has some experience doing this and if he wants to do it cause he enjoys it so what! Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what you do is easy work by any means, I had climbing training in my forestry class in high school, but it doesn't mean that no one but an arborist can do it. Thats kind of like the guys like THALL and Andy getting on some of us who try to fix our own saws, they give out advise not put us down and chastise us for trying.

Kyle

hey i would love to fight fires man but you dont see me grabbing the hose from the guys who do it for a living. its easy though right? just aim the water at the fire?

my point has been lost, you are getting too emotional to think clearly. Lowering your price is not the only way to innovate and gain customers. Think outside the box. This is your business, your life, your way of making ends meet. I can't tell you how to do it.

"will work for story time and some cookies"

you saying that should be on my business card?

"will work for story time and some cookies"

you saying that should be on my business card?

better than

grandma can't afford her medication because the city told her she had to hire an over priced tree service to take a problem tree off of her property

He was using this as an example of the people he has helped out if you are worried about the hand full of jobs you are loosing you had better find a new marketing consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back