Anyone climb with a Camelbak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone climbs with one. I dug an old lightweight Camelbak knockoff out of my stuff and have considered using it when I climb. Would cut down on time sending water back and forth and would also keep me from putting off water breaks when it gets really hot. I mean, it get up to 110 sometimes here in the Summer. A sip of water sure will refresh you in that kind of heat...

Anyone tried using one while they climb? Too hot? Too bulky? Waste of time?

I have the 70 oz and it never gets in my way and it sure comes in handy on those long hot days. You can just keep it adjusted tight for less play but they aren't bulky at all. If you are serious it is good to have.

Fill it with water the night before and throw it in the freezer. Not only will it provide cool water during the climb, but it will also have a cooling effect on your back.

I'm using the bigger size of camel back (3 litres) and wear it every day. Like the above poster, I put mine in the freezer as soon as I get home from work and by the next morning its a block of ice. It usually defrosts enough to drink by 8:00 (I start work at 6) and by 10 there's hardly any ice. By 12, it's getting warm, but I've drunk the whole thing by then and already on a refill.

The big mouth in the camelbak takes ice as well, so thats an option. Another guy on my crew has one and on hot days we'll go halves in a 3.5kg bag of ice. It costs less than water, and is pure. One bag does both our camelbaks, and it sure is nice on a hot summer day!

You can get water sent up, but I find I dont take the heat too well. If i dont have water, I'll keep pushing myself, just trying to get he next few branches, then the next few, then the next few, and pretty soon you're dehydrated. You try to compensate for it by guzzling, but that just makes you bloated. With the camelbak I just keep sipping, a mouthful every few minutes.

Shaun

I have a couple of them. For one or two big trees it's nice. This past summer I wore it for 2 days when it was really hot, and I was climbing almost 20 trees a day. After a point I took it off, too much extra weight when I was going up and down and up and down.

I keep several 20 oz. size Gatorade bottles in my ice chest. I take one up with me in a pouch on my saddle. When empty I toss it down with the pouch and the groundman sends up a full one. The bottles are usually filled with iced tea or water. I actually bought a Camelbak, but never used it. I tried it on and felt it would be too heavy and bulky moving through the tree for me.

Likely from bacterial contamination. It's a very widespread and largely unrecognized problem with water bottles, etc.

I'm going to have to buy a bladder for my pack as it did not come with one. I'm looking at the CamelBak Omega HydroTanium. It claims to be anti-microbial and eliminate 99.99% of bacteria. Don't know if it's true or not but I like to wash my water coolers out with bleach water every so often so no one gets the screaming chits...

Being a bigger guy, 70 ounces won't get me to noon on a hot day. That's barely half a gallon.

Gallon milk jugs, screw caps, left in freezer overnight, hung off my shackle/friction saver rig on the crane, replaced when empty. Every time i'm at my tip, water is available.

I'm going to give the 35 ounce a try, that's just over a quart. I might as well get some use out of the dam pack. If it works for me I may upgrade.

I went through my entire Army career with the Infantry and swear by them, I upgraded to the high volume mouth piece. Fill them with water, and you'll be fine.. I didn't clean mine ever, and never got sick. I also had about every inoculation you can think of too. Maybe that had something to do with it.....

I use a camelbak when I remember to. It sure beats a water bottle hanging off my belt, and I usually throw a few granola bars or something in the pack for some quick energy.

I use a camelbak during the summer months. I have a 100 oz. Mule that's great for it's capacity and storage for snacks or whatever. As far as keeping the creepy crawlies at bay, I rinse mine out with some mouth wash. Kills germs and leaves your breath minty fresh. ;)

Back