Anyone else do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a nastily beaten chain done in the shop I blow it off with air, put it on the saw and idle up till warm as usual burp once or twice to hear my MM and let r feed, in the bush touch up, burp it one or twice to hear my MM and let r feed.

Well!! that all depends on the kind of oil you use.

Lets just say I pay a premium price for my bar oil and whether it be the 'summer' or 'winter' grade my chain is slathered with oil. I tried a couple of the cheaper oils and the smell of used atf did not appeal to me in the least.

I really did not feel that I was doing anything abnormal or wrong when I started this thread, nor will I change my method. It just seems to make sense that if you filed a chain and then we'll say let it sit unused for a period of time without some sort of lube on the freshly touched cutters they would rust if exposed to any moisture. I would rather err on the safe side and as was said more than once so far why not start the saw and listen to it purr or scream or eat or whatever after sharpening.

If you want to run your saw after sharpening the chain, go for it. But any rust that you are preventing is surface rust and is going to be gone in the first nano-second after the chain hits the wood, and the difference in cutting times isn't going to be measurable.

Don't we all just like the feel of that saw cranking up after its gone cold?

that sorta lumpier idle,at first.
a reassuring snort or three of the throttle that says it's ready and able.

the sound of that chain as it rounds the nose and with no load
you can hear it getting a little oilier and see the that little mist that says all is good with the oiler
and bar.

just part of the grumbling resistance to "fripperies" like auto-tronic carbs That isolate us from the heretofore visceral experience of running a saw.

Just a little part of getting to be and staying familiar with your equipment
i think...

stilhrookie, it's cool that ya like to fire up yer saws after sharpening...if it makes you happy, it's all good.
Personally, my chains never seem to rust...unless it's one i lost in the woods and find again a year later...:msp_blink:

I haven't, but like the idea. Of course the spinning chain will fling oil over itself, just like when we check to see if it's oiling by free revving over a piece clean wood to look for spray.

So you are telling me that no oil gets on the cutters?

No, oil gets slung everywhere, but so what? Are you saying that oil mist that lands on the cutter edges means something?

I agree that everything cuts better with a layer of oil or grease on it, I don't think that it enters into the chainsaw chain theory.......
as a saw digging into a log has now "pre-spray" of oil.

If I get a chain that looks dry, I will sometimes put it in can with an inch or so of oil in it, and let it sit overnight. I'll hang it on a nail the next day and let it drip dry back into the can.

Latest posts

Back