Anyone else try this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
I am sick of the expense of stumper teeth. I had a set that were getting badly worn and had a medium sized job 40 stumps to knock out. I knew with dull teeth it would be quite a bit longer than I wanted it to take. Hmmmmmmmmm I have a decent ac,dc arc welder and some 7018 rods :monkey: I welded them up ground em sharp and it did real good for half of the stumps. I am going to my welding supply and get some hard surfacing rods and will try them out and I bet it will be as good as new teeth at 10% costs too.

Last edited:
I am sick of the expense of stumper teeth. I had a set that were getting badly worn and had a medium sized job 40 stumps to knock out. I knew with dull teeth it would be quite a bit longer than I wanted it to take. Hmmmmmmmmm I have a decent ac,dc arc welder and some 7018 rods :monkey: I welded them up ground em sharp and it did real good for half of the stumps. I am going to my welding supply and get some hard surfacing rods and will try them out and I bet it will be as good as new teeth at 10% costs too.

Oh Oh, I hope I don't read about you in another room!
Jeff :confused:

Rope,

Find the old timer in the welding shop, and tell him what you're doing.

There's a slew of different surfacing rods for a bunch of different applications, and if ya get things wrong, ya might be payin' the doc to pull shrapnel outta your shins.

Sometimes, ya gotta build up with one alloy, then surface with another.

I forget the rod number, but surfaced our Brush chopper blades with the same rod used to surface a set of Track Bogies, and that didn't go well LOL!!
Too hard, and cracks form, and then let loose.;)

Redneck engineering either works out really well, or fails in an epic manner it seems.:D

Best of luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have often wondered if it would be just as easy to have teeth with a lots of steel,and just grind them sharp with an angle grinder every 20 stumps or so???

Got a 50 in DBH water oak stump [probably 85 in at the root rise ] to do today.
Of course I gotta finish the tree first.
I got all the side limbs flush with the trunk. Just left central leader.Should not take more than 45 minutes to get it down to the fork [about 9 ft from the ground.]

From there????????
Hope it's not full of junk. Old tree ,at an old house . I'm slightly pessimistic on the trunk being clean wood.
Slightly optimistic though on the hopes of the stump being hollow in the middle. Most of them this size around here are .

Got a new set of yellow jackets on old yeller,so it shouldn't be too bad either way.

I'm with Rope on this one. Sure seems like it would work. It is low speed isn't it? Yes the hard tips might be prone to crack, but it is the surface, not the whole tooth.

Give it a try, and what are you out? Some throw away teeth?

Yo

what kind of teeth you running?

try the Greenteeth. They can resurfaced.plus you have three cutter sides.

I hire stumps out now.

I'd rather watch The View than deal with stump grinding.

Ok I run yellow jackets 15 bucks er tooth "my"comutor wont tye the letter so its not my tying I just noticed it:dizzy: It is the only letter it wont tye lol. I guess I now have seech imediment.

Rope,

Find the old timer in the welding shop, and tell him what you're doing.

There's a slew of different surfacing rods for a bunch of different applications, and if ya get things wrong, ya might be payin' the doc to pull shrapnel outta your shins.

Sometimes, ya gotta build up with one alloy, then surface with another.

I forget the rod number, but surfaced our Brush chopper blades with the same rod used to surface a set of Track Bogies, and that didn't go well LOL!!
Too hard, and cracks form, and then let loose.;)

Redneck engineering either works out really well, or fails in an epic manner it seems.:D

Best of luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hey I am an old-timer lol. Stress relieving is the biggie here treheating T= letter my comtutor wont tyte lol. keeting the heat below 500 and gradually cooling the work tiece!
It may crack but heck so do new ones I will build several ut and try them and take some tic's

Weld on low heat range too I need metal to ground hard surfacing rods!

Last edited:
Hard surfacing rods 5 bucks a tound 5lbs trolly near 200 teeth vrs 15 bucks ter tooth hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:monkey: Ok maybe double the rubber shield to trotect shins.

Last edited:
Better get ur P fixed, thats some funny @#@$. I dont know about resurfacing grinder teeth sounds kinda dangerous to me. I rent a couple different units had to buy a whole set of teeth though cuz half of them are usually trashed when I pick the macchine up.

Better get ur P fixed, thats some funny @#@$. I dont know about resurfacing grinder teeth sounds kinda dangerous to me. I rent a couple different units had to buy a whole set of teeth though cuz half of them are usually trashed when I pick the macchine up.

How u fix letter t?:confused:

Back