Anyone ever count a cord of firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This got my curiosity up so I went out to measure. Each rack is approximately one cord. Took a 1' square count and multiplied by total HxW square. Looks to be over 400 splits on average.

Gosh, I need to get a life away from laying in firewood. Why'd you post this anyhow? ;)

Just on general principle, 128 cubic feet of stacked firewood is a cord, no matter how long or how short it's cut. If splits are 18" long, that's 1.5' in depth. The math don't lie. :D

Last edited:
This is a crazy question !!!!!
The answer is simple. I sell firewood to campers and the ring holds about 40-50 pieces of wood.Sits out by the street. Was trying to figure how many rings to a cord to make sure i'm not under selling myself looks like 10 is the average number.Usually i just split it and just toss it in a big pile and just take it from there.

4x4x8 is a cord....so 2 pallets 48x48 would be 8' long....2 pallets to a cord...

Really depends on how tightly he stacked it. If I read his description right it would be somewhere between a "well stacked" and loose thrown".

I would say he would be short about 1/4 to 1/3 cord with two pallets. Justspeculation without seeing the pallet piles though.

Hary K

If your pieces are 18 inchs the customer is getting a great deal. Say 16 long by 4 ft by 4 ft is a half of a rank. Most fire inserts take 18 to 20 inch pieces. But like was said before 16 inchs is one of the legal length. The boy in green with yellow patches on there sleeves check you you will find out what legal is. My self I am not crazy about fines and jails but different strokes for different folks

I also would like a cite to the state law. I will put money on it that it says 4x4x8 OR 148cut ft and that it will not mention how long it has to be cut.

I have seen a lot of state laws cited over the years and absolutely none of them said it had to 4x4x8 cut to 16" to be legal. As someone else said, 128 cut ft no matter how you want to stack it. One rick, one stick high, cut 4 1/3" howeveer long it would need to be to measure out LxWxH = 128 cut ft would be a legal cord.

Harry K

Last edited:
Length of splits only matters if it makes compact stacking impossible.

Some states, like NY, explicitly forbid selling wood by stick count. Only legal unit of measure is the cord, no "rick", "face", "truckload" or anything else. Great idea.

My advise is, prior to dumping the load, whether stacked in the truck, wrapped in plastic on a pallet or thrown in loose into the back of a truck, measure the load for them while they stand there and ask the buyers if they are happy with what they see as far as a cord of wood. If so, dump away. When I was delivering firewood, I only had one customer that stacked it and called back for more wood which I delivered to him. Said I shorted him by 5 cubic feet.

Whatever. :msp_rolleyes:

16"x5"x5"=433 pieces per cord according to my handy dandy firewood app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for going off topic... :)

True, the only nationally recognized measure of firewood volume is the cord. But that doesn't mean wood can't be sold in lesser amounts. The 128 cf standard is a guideline for the consumer. I've never seen firewood stacked 4x4x8. All it takes is a few seconds with a calculator and a tape measure to determine the cord value.

"Closely stacked" is subjective. Where some wood dealers get in hot water, they claim to deliver a variation by calling it a rack, face cord, pickup load or whatnot ~ and the math doesn't work once it's been stacked. If wood is selling for say, $125.00 per cord and the customer got 1/4 cord delivered for $75.00, he's gonna be ticked off.

He's asking how many pieces....... not the cu ft of a cord...... pieces in a cord
I get about 500 but I split kinda small. if that helps.

What would Rodney King say?:confused2:

I find small wood burns faster so I keep them large. Why small? Small wood is great for starting a fire.....

I find small wood burns faster so I keep them large. Why small? Small wood is great for starting a fire.....
Small splits are best for getting a hot fire going. There's more surface area exposed with smaller pieces. :)

If you've ever got out of bed on a cold winter morning with a cold stove, you'll know. You wanna get that stove burning hot and quick. :D

mga, you can't use 18" splits to make a cord, <SNIP> Stick around here a little more often and you won't make a rookie mistake like cutting 18" wood.

What about a rookie mistake at math?

A legal cord is 128 cubic feet of wood, THE DIMENSIONS OF THE PILE OR LENGTH OF LOG IS IRRELEVANT. So if MGA wants to cut 18" pieces of wood and stack them 4' high, if his stack is 21 and 1/3 feet wide it is a cord. Just like if he stacked them 2 pieces deep, 5 foot high, and 8.5 feet wide. Both are 128 cubic feet.

Last edited:

A legal cord is 128 cubic feet of wood, THE DIMENSIONS OF THE PILE OR LENGTH OF LOG IS IRRELEVANT. So if MGA wants to cut 18" pieces of wood and stack them 4' high, if his stack is 21 and 1/3 feet wide it is a cord. Just like if he stacked them 2 pieces deep, 5 foot high, and 8.5 feet wide. Both are 128 cubic feet.

Fish are really biting up on Lake Huron today.....

Can anyone of you experts find the legal definition of a Cord? :msp_confused:

Correct.

I believe what is being disputed is the idea that all wood needs to be cut into lengths that are factors of 4' (48") like 12" or 16". At least thats what I got from MGAs post.

I have an app for that. I really do it is called cord of wood, or something like that.

Back