Anyone ever count a cord of firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capetrees ----> picture

227410d1330914821-hook-jpg

Me ----> :hmm3grin2orange:
I tried to post this 1st thing this morning and it wouldn't work. Guess i caught a few more since.

Last edited:
Can anyone of you experts find the legal definition of a Cord? :msp_confused:

This is a paste from my state forestry commission taken from a PDF:

"CORD - A volume measure of wood. A standard when cut and stacked is 4X4X8 feet, or 128 cubic feet of space.
Cord volume in standing trees averages 70 to 90 cubic feet, because only the tree volume is measured - not the tree volume plus the empty spaces that form when the wood is stacked. Pulpwood volume is typically measured in
cords. A face cord or short cord is 4 feet by 8 feet of any length wood less than 4 feet and is often the measurement used for firewood."

And this is from the state ag department market bulletin, as regards firewood sales:

"All firewood advertised in the Market Bulletin must be cut from the advertiser's personally owned property. In addition, by law, terms such as face cord, rack, pile, truckload, etc., cannot be used to advertise firewood. Advertisers must use the standard unit of measure, the cord, when specifying the amount of firewood for sale."

Where the exact law is, I don't know, but these are official enough for around here, although frequently violated on CL.

On CL you can get you a "standing about face farmers pulp rick load, all ranked up" for blah blah , or any variation. My fav so far I have seen is a "reck" of wood.

Wikipedia....yup thats legal and binding....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You don't like it? Look in your state laws. Most states regulate firewood and every one contains the legal description. Your state doesn't? Then look at NY, WA or numerous others. Lo and behold it will read 4x4x8' OR 128 cu ft. or language very similar to that.

Further many of them will also add that rick, rack, load, face cord etc. are specifically names as being illegal.

Harry K

This is a paste from my state forestry commission taken from a PDF:

"CORD - A volume measure of wood. A standard when cut and stacked is 4X4X8 feet, or 128 cubic feet of space.
Cord volume in standing trees averages 70 to 90 cubic feet, because only the tree volume is measured - not the tree volume plus the empty spaces that form when the wood is stacked. Pulpwood volume is typically measured in
cords. A face cord or short cord is 4 feet by 8 feet of any length wood less than 4 feet and is often the measurement used for firewood."

And this is from the state ag department market bulletin, as regards firewood sales:

"All firewood advertised in the Market Bulletin must be cut from the advertiser's personally owned property. In addition, by law, terms such as face cord, rack, pile, truckload, etc., cannot be used to advertise firewood. Advertisers must use the standard unit of measure, the cord, when specifying the amount of firewood for sale."

Where the exact law is, I don't know, but these are official enough for around here, although frequently violated on CL.

On CL you can get you a "standing about face farmers pulp rick load, all ranked up" for blah blah , or any variation. My fav so far I have seen is a "reck" of wood.

See now we are getting somewhere...

Now can anyone show me where it says "well stacked" as someone else put it....and what EXACTLY that means?

Well stacked is so that the pile doesnt fall over or well stacked is tightly stacked....

I always like a bit of air space between some of the pieces to aid in the drying process...(not every piece) I just dont try to fit it all as tight as possible. As long as the pile will stand, and it looks resonably neat, thats good for me...

See now we are getting somewhere...

Now can anyone show me where it says "well stacked" as someone else put it....and what EXACTLY that means?

Well stacked is so that the pile doesnt fall over or well stacked is tightly stacked....

I always like a bit of air space between some of the pieces to aid in the drying process...(not every piece) I just dont try to fit it all as tight as possible. As long as the pile will stand, and it looks resonably neat, thats good for me...

NJ Office of Weights and Measures Tips on Buying Firewood in New Jersey

ODA Measurement Standards Division Firewood Facts

G5452 How to Buy and Sell Cordwood | University of Missouri Extension

Firewood

Ever notice how jokes are never as funny when you have to explain them?

So now we have a clearly defined legal definition of "cord"...anyone disagree?

So now I suggest as this is the one topic that gets everyones panties in a bunch in this section of the forum, that we make this a must read in the rules section...

Its the same as 2-cycle oil in the chainsaw section of the forum...

To the OP:

Yes, I've counted a cord of firewood. Just last night, I went up to one of my piles appoximately 18" wide, 5' tall and about 17' long, counted "one!" and went back inside. Doesn't take long at all.

You know, I've been wondering about 2-cycle oil. Glad you brought that up, should I mix it at 50:1 or 49:1?

:D

Depends? How much of the little bottle drained out before I tired of holding it upside down on the gas can, how close to a gallon I can get before stopping on and even $.10, and other factors I've been sworn to secrecy over.

On the original topic, I took advantage of the 50° and sunshine today to go inspect the stacks, always therapy for the soul. I counted number of pieces high x number of pieces long, and got a good rough guesstimate.

3 1/3 cord samples:

#1 - 12 high x 19 long - 228 pieces
#2 - 11 high x 23 long - 253 pieces
#3 - 12 high x 22 long - 264 pieces

Grand total of 745 pieces/cord. Remind me next fall when I move them and I'll get an actual count then.

Depends? How much of the little bottle drained out before I tired of holding it upside down on the gas can, how close to a gallon I can get before stopping on and even $.10, and other factors I've been sworn to secrecy over.

On the original topic, I took advantage of the 50° and sunshine today to go inspect the stacks, always therapy for the soul. I counted number of pieces high x number of pieces long, and got a good rough guesstimate.

3 1/3 cord samples:

#1 - 12 high x 19 long - 228 pieces
#2 - 11 high x 23 long - 253 pieces
#3 - 12 high x 22 long - 264 pieces

Grand total of 745 pieces/cord. Remind me next fall when I move them and I'll get an actual count then.

My wife says the wood count is 3/4. I wonder what she means.

Harry K

Let's Assume...

... that your wheelbarrow holds 25 logs mounded up. It takes about 12 of these to fill a half-ton pickup truck, and 24 wheelbarrow loads might fill it twice and get you to a cord.

So, 25 x 24 = 600 logs for a full cord. Seem reasonable? Again, these are average size logs, not a bunch that LOML cannot pick up. It takes 2 half-ton pickup truckloads to obtain a stacked cord of logs.

Here's another way. I wrap 9 logs in a bundle. I can get about 33 bundles in a pickup truck, or 297 logs. Double that and you get 594 logs in a cord. Add 6 more for some extra air and you are back to 600 logs per cord.

Back