Anyone ever make a homemade Winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never discourage someone thinking outside the box :clap:

I just looked up a hydraulic motor (northern) low speed, high torque.
310 ft. lb torque, 150 RPM, about 16 gpm.

One of your drawings showed a granny tranny. Let's make some assumptions. 6 to 1 first gear? Maybe a 3.5 to 1 differential?
7.14 RPM Ah yes I know this speed! It is the speed of evolution!!! :)
Your basic really slow mode. What is the torque? 6510 not counting friction. This is in pounds/feet. So.... that means if you were using a wheel, with the cable about 1 foot from the axle it would pull 6000 lbs. cut the wheel to 1/2 size and you can double that. 12000.... Which would not work for long. THe axle would break. Or the bearings would explode. The U-joints between the tranny and the differential have a torque rating as well.....

Okay, leave a wheel on there for now. makes a nice place to spool cable onto. It will pull almost 3 tons like it is. Now let's get something done!!
High gear! 42.85 rpm, and 1085 pounds! This is brutal.

It would pull over 1000 pounds at 3 mph!!!! This could work...

Your mileage may vary... This is based on a "wheel" of 24 inch diameter.
In actual fact, you may be using a 15" auto steel wheel Which is gonna be considerably smaller (more pull) but slower.
I like the 3 MPH idea, that is fast enough to actually get-er-done !!

Food for thought from a guy who has been there, and done things like this.
-Pat:dizzy:

====

Patrick

Can you tell us how you calculate these load winching abilities????
Inquiring minds wantta know....

I thought it was simple enough....

>Patrick
>
>Can you tell us how you calculate these load winching abilities????
>Inquiring minds wantta know....

Gears convert RPM into torque. Or torque into RPM. Not complicated.

Torque expressed in foot/pounds. A 1 foot lever with 5 pounds on the end of it.... would that not make a measurement of 5 ft. lb. :confused:

You just gotta sit there and play with a stick and think about it a bit....

-Pat

>Patrick
>
>Can you tell us how you calculate these load winching abilities????
>Inquiring minds wantta know....

Gears convert RPM into torque. Or torque into RPM. Not complicated.

Torque expressed in foot/pounds. A 1 foot lever with 5 pounds on the end of it.... would that not make a measurement of 5 ft. lb. :confused:

You just gotta sit there and play with a stick and think about it a bit....

-Pat

====
Your basic really slow mode. What is the torque? 6510 not counting friction. This is in pounds/feet.
=====

If you don't mind would you explain how you arrived at this figure..

They have been making pulp trucks with rear ends for years here!
I have an old cable loader it is actually a real loader not homemade,
the good thing about them is they are fast and work off a brake
and drum and master cylinder, two sprockets and chain pto powers
mine! It will skid load a good log 20' long and 36" across or it would
until the motor went out! Very fast but the safety factor has a learning
curve, I learned or I would not be typing!

Last edited:
====
Your basic really slow mode. What is the torque? 6510 not counting friction. This is in pounds/feet.
=====

If you don't mind would you explain how you arrived at this figure..

Got it, thanks...

For anybody else needing help, it's

Torque input x Trans grear X diff ratio...in this case

310 x 6 x 3.5 = 6510

Very cool to watch the vids Mike (hey I gives ya 5 stars even though it wouldn't play right, I could track through it though), as I said, stay outta the bite man! :clap:
I think Treeco meant something like this stuff (just scroll down the page a bit), its double braided polyester, 1/2" is rated at 7200lbs, pretty respectable and its the type my friends and me use for many boating uses (sail lines), tough stuff and not expensive, here> http://www.portablewinch.com/en/05.asp
Up in price would be stuff like Tectra rope, info link here> http://www.heightec.com/equipment/anchor-lines-rope/general.html
Then there is rope like HTP static, their 5/8ths has a tensile strength of 15000lbs (man I'd love ta have a couple of good lengths of this stuff!), here>
http://www.lifesaving.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page36.html
And lastly some just plain old good stuff about ropes, theres a decent rundown of various species at the end of the article, a good refference imho>
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/rope/

:cheers: to a cool project!

Serge

FYI, I am very cautious about the 'bite' due to several gory stories (of big ropes and cables, logging and tugging boats) and my own experience with a wee 1/4" poly rope, a speed boat, and an unsecured anchor, I wear a nice scar on my bicept and am lucky I didn't lose my fingers, or worse, don't mean ta be a nag about it so take no offence eh! :)

Last edited:
winch from truck rear end

I built one over 30 years ago. I placed the rear end in line with the truck frame. used a right angle gear reducer off the pto shaft into the u-joint of the rear end. for control I got a brake master cylinder from a 1950 era chevy and plumbed that into the unused wheel of the rear end. I used that type master cylinder because it has a arm on it. I would put a pipe over the arm of the master cylinder and apply pressure when the pto was on, that would stop the non cable wheel from turning and would apply force to the end with the rim and cable on it. I had holes cut into the rim and a bracket. to lock the load i slipped a bar through the bracket into the pulling wheel. I loaded a lot of car bodies with that set up.

In Video #1 at the end i put my 026 with a 18" bar in the shot for size
Sorry the videos are bad done with my cell phone.

YouTube - ‪Homemade Winch 1‬‏

YouTube - ‪Homemade winch 2‬‏

YouTube - ‪Homemade winch 3‬‏

YouTube - ‪Homemade winch 4‬‏

attachment.php

I see a problem WAITING to happen....You need to build a pretty sturdy cage around them saws...and i would probably make the back of it solid...just saying...

Other wise you did an awesome job...

Good luck with it...

Latest posts

Back