Anyone ever run .404 chain on a smaller saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think bars longer than 36” are common anywhere, but around here they’re not terribly unusual, and I’d guess most of those big bars are running .404 chain.

I happen to have a 41” Stihl bar with a .404 chain.

Digital Out of Home or DOOH refers to digital media used for marketing purposes outside of the home. This excludes TV advertising and radio advertising, but includes digital signage. This is sometimes hyphenated as digital-out-of-home or abbreviated as DOOH.

So, you are saying a 38" Stihl bar with .404" pitch is common these days? Not sure what you mean, but I accept your condition. I'm also too old.

The other day LOML said that I was a model husband. Then I checked my college marketing textbook. It says that a model is a simplified representation of the real thing.
Naaaaaa. Mainly the Homer Simpson part.
I originally read it as you never saw a bar that long.......no as that length........TOTALLY misssed what you meant.

You guys are over my head. I'm too mundane. Regardless, where on earth did he get that 38" Stihl bar designed for .404 pitch chain? I called a Stihl dealer and did he can't find one either. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down the part number. I made him a loop for it and he mounted it onto his MS880.

Are you sure it is 38"? I`m able to find a 36", 41", and 47" .404 Duromatic bar for the MS 880 but no 38".
Rollomatic ES .404 bars listed have 36", 41" and 59" for the MS 880.

So do I. Where on earth did a 38" Stihl .404 bar come from? I doubt that anyone knows, but it happened. Sorry for the typo in post #13, it was 38" and needed 108 drive links of .404" pitch chain.

Thank you for the cross examination. I have never heard of a 38" Stihl bar until this happened. After he dropped off the bar, I made the chains. I was shaking my head at the time in disbelief, and I doubt I will ever see another one of these bars. I imagine it had a part number, but I confess that I never wrote that down.
108 links of 404 says 36” bar on the Stihl bar and chain chart for 3002 bars that are sprocket nose.
Says 36” Hard nose is 104 links....sooooo 108 would be about 38”.

So do I. Where on earth did a 38" Stihl .404 bar come from? I doubt that anyone knows, but it happened. Sorry for the typo in post #13, it was 38" and needed 108 drive links of .404" pitch chain.

Thank you for the cross examination. I have never heard of a 38" Stihl bar until this happened. After he dropped off the bar, I made the chains. I was shaking my head at the time in disbelief, and I doubt I will ever see another one of these bars. I imagine it had a part number, but I confess that I never wrote that down.
Stihl 088 Rollomatic S 36" bar 3002-000-9753 uses 108 drive links in .404 chain - in a Stihl 2003 bar and chain catalog

Stihl 088 Rollomatic S 36" bar 3002-000-9753 uses 108 drive links in .404 chain - in a Stihl 2003 bar and chain catalog
OK, my eyes must be going bad. It must have been a 36" bar. The older I get, the more that a 6 looks like an 8. And, I noticed a rather sudden change for the worse in vision with my right eye last month and yes, I do need to see an ophthalmologist to determine if it can be corrected surgically. No kidding. :(

Back