anyone got any good options for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is what we folks around here refer to as the typical "Flatlander".

That's what we say over my way when someone from Loudon moves close by. :laugh:

Just kidding. uh-oh, b1irdman's gonna kill me if he reads this post.

MRNDAD's point is a good one. He's in an area where there're a lot of transplants from down below. I'm in a touristy area where there're lots of second home owners from the 'burbs and the big city.

I'm better off, I suspect. A lot of the second homers are respectful of our way of life and don't want too much to ruffle feathers. The transplants are another story...

Now Woodbooga...just cuz I hang my hat in loudon now...doesn't mean I am from here. I was born and raised way up in Coos County where the men are men and the sheep are scared..ha ha ha. I moved my family down here almost 30 years ago so my daughters would live closer to civilization and have better opportunities but my heart will always be in northern NH. As it is..I consider all the area between Hooksett and the Mass. border as the DMZ between us and the flatlanders. I never truly relax until I am headed north on 93 and I start coming down the NORTH side of Franconia Notch heading into Sugar Hill.

The really sad part of it is, we were good friends until about 2 years ago.he was a great borrower, borrowed me to death, but I always figured no big deal.Screws,nails, caulking, gas, you name it he borrowed it.When my splitter went belly up and i was pushed for time, I asked if I could borrow his until my parts came in.
Over the coarse of the next 3 days all I heard was how i was wearing it out,blah blah blah.I couldnt take it anymore and returned the splitter.After listening to his tirade about how many hours I burned up on it, I asked him if he recalled that I had rebuilt the engine for him, welded the axles, replaced two hydralic lines, all at my expense over the years, and this was the first time I had ever borrowed anything of his?
Words got heated, and war was declared.Every chance he gets he calls the cops on me.Firing guns at targets in the backyard, the cops show up.If I run any machinery after 6pm or before 8am, the cops show up.
When we first moved here, I wondered why the neighbors hated him so much,I thought he was a pretty nice guy.Took me 4 years I guess before I saw his true colors.

Now Woodbooga...just cuz I hang my hat in loudon now...doesn't mean I am from here. I was born and raised way up in Coos County where the men are men and the sheep are scared..ha ha ha. I moved my family down here almost 30 years ago so my daughters would live closer to civilization and have better opportunities but my heart will always be in northern NH. As it is..I consider all the area between Hooksett and the Mass. border as the DMZ between us and the flatlanders. I never truly relax until I am headed north on 93 and I start coming down the NORTH side of Franconia Notch heading into Sugar Hill.

I seem to recall that you're originally from just south of Colebrook near the headwaters of the Conn. River. Great area if you like having lots of elbow room. But you're right, a lot fewer opportunities for young people. Only county in the state that's been losing population for decades. The north-of-Concord area's a nice compromise. Still fairly rural, but not too far away from hospitals, museums, and other goodies.

I have friends in the southern tier. I tell them that they're the first line of defense against the type of folks avalancher's complaining about.

I consider all the area between Hooksett and the Mass. border as the DMZ between us and the flatlanders.

I hear ya, and here I am WAY behind enemy lines. I keep holding onto the hope that one day the housing market will start to return, and I can finally run for the hills!

Until then, I will be firmly planted in the Commiewealth of Marxistchusettes

You're correct that I am from just south of Colebrook, Woodbooga..But off on the headwaters of the Connecticut river by about 40 miles. That would be up in Pittsburg. Sadly..tis true that Coos County is losing population. All the Industry up there was either agricultural or revolved around the forest industry. Very few dairy farms are left and the furniture plants and paper mills are closing left and right. I hate to see it happen but alas..nothing I can do. Ever since Concord started listening to the self-proclaimed voice of the North Country (John Harrigan) and hung that evil epithet upon Coos County that I refuse to utter from my lips but will say it one time here so you know what I am referring to (The Great North Woods) yuck..ptooey..awful insult to my people, Concord thinks all is just peachy with Coos County. Hopefully someday things will turn around up there..

I hear ya, and here I am WAY behind enemy lines. I keep holding onto the hope that one day the housing market will start to return, and I can finally run for the hills!

Until then, I will be firmly planted in the Commiewealth of Marxistchusettes

I consider being a flatlander less of a geograpical thing and more of an attitude thing, Adam. If folks move up here and just blend in and not try to drag Mass. north WITH them, they tend to blend in quite well. There is a couple that live in Westford whom my wife and I have gotten very close to over the years and they sometimes go up north with us for a weekend. When they sit out on the front porch of the house and look across route 3 into Vermont...you can see them physically relax and all the tension that builds up in them just floats away. They really are good people. Hell..They are even NASCAR fans now and I always manage to get them pit passes for the big NASCAR races here in town and they LOVE it when we go there for the weekend!!

ummm..Avalancher..I apologize for wandering off topic in your thread here....please forgive me..

ummm..Avalancher..I apologize for wandering off topic in your thread here....please forgive me..

You better apologize. Avalancher's never hisself made a thread veer offcourse from the topic of an OP. :)

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. :cheers:

But seriously, I hope things work out for you. Sounds like you at least have a plan. Which is step #1. Remain vigilent and keep at it.

And if this don't work out and you decide to relocate, I know of an arborist in GA with a professional background in real estate who might be of assistance. :biggrinbounce2:

Shoot, that is what conversation is albout, sometimes it doenst always head in a straight line.

Well, Wolf tree service just showed up few minutes ago, and they said nope, to far from the power lines for the right of way.Back to square one.Guy did agree with me on the hazard though,and gave me a map to where they are clearing some wood nearby though.Some good oak in the works for me tomorrow.I had a job for this week,but it got postponned.Another window as they say....
I was surprised how fast they showed up after a phone call!

Shoot, that is what conversation is albout, sometimes it doenst always head in a straight line.

Well, Wolf tree service just showed up few minutes ago, and they said nope, to far from the power lines for the right of way.Back to square one.Guy did agree with me on the hazard though,and gave me a map to where they are clearing some wood nearby though.Some good oak in the works for me tomorrow.I had a job for this week,but it got postponned.Another window as they say....

Should have slipped him a $50 and asked, "Are you sure about that?"

Documentation still seems to be the best route, although unfortunately it appears that hindsight may be the only factor that will get the right people to agree with you.

Good luck on this one.

:cheers:

Shouldn't the tree service be able to write a statement about how harmful the tree is? Get a couple of those and start the court battle. Sounds like time is not on your side.

I must be the exception....I have great neighbors all around me.

I guess I'm lucky, too. A couple months ago, a neighbor asked if he could hire a tree service to trim a tree that was threatening the power line to his house. I told him it was OK and thanked him for asking me first. They did a good job of leaving a nice branch collar on my big red oak.

Avalancher, it sounds like you are going through all the steps and keeping your cool. I admire your patience. Thanks for keeping us posted! :cheers:

Call the power company. They don't want their lines torn down by falling trees or by the mistakes of landowners. They have an easment and don't require anyones permission to enter private property. They should take the tree down with no expense to you or your neighbor. Good luck.

This will work!

Hey Avalanche-Don't go in there and take it down. If the power lines are between you(house) and the pine and the power company sees no threat I don't see you have much to stand on. Same goes for your insurance company. As far as it hitting your house if you're worried about it can you move your daughter into another room-sucks I know but consider if you go onto private land and something goes wrong cuttin' it down like a freak wind, now you get sued for downed power lines, jail? Not worth it in my view. You can't legislate/force sanity and good judgement in people. If you can calculate the height accurately and measure the distance(rangefinder dont go on his land)-should be able to judge what dia the portion of tree will be that hits your house should it fall. I had a good size pine hit my cabin few years ago and didn't do much damage. Any way I'm ramblin'- hard to see without being there but point is sometimes you just can't change things. No sense you getting into trouble over it.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Everyone has a neighbor like that. I think that if you were to get a couple of expert opinions as to the most likely direction of fall that maybe your homeowners insurance company might be interested in it. If the problem were presented to the owner of the property and ignored then I would think it would open up a possible lawsuit by your homeowners insurance company if if did happen.

I am just sort of talking here, but I can say document everything. In the past when I had an issue with an individual I made sure that everything was in writing, and sent by usps return receipt. I also sent the same document back to myself on the same day and left it in an unopened envelope with the postmark on it. It did help me out a lot when it finally came to court. When you talk to someone on the phone, get name, a direct contact number, time on the phone or in person, and send an "as per our discussion " letter, just to keep a complete paper trail.

Good luck.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_wG6Cgmgn5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_wG6Cgmgn5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If the problem were presented to the owner of the property and ignored then I would think it would open up

See if you can find the landowners insurance company as well as the landowner. might be public record if there is escrow and mortgage, maybe not. Your insur company can probably do that and may be motivated. Both companies have a vested interest in preventing not just a tree removal but a lawsuit against them.

I have a back yard neighbor with an oak that will take my whole house if it goes my way. And a bunch of teenagers that like the firepit, with several cubic yards of leaves and trash along the fence, next to my garage.
When I politely asked if we could work together and clean up the leaves, he said 'I am not worried, that's what I have good insurance for' or somethnig along that lines.

k

Around here, the power company has it's own tree crews, but it sounds like in your situation, they contract the work out. This is not bad in your case, because you should call the power company again and discuss what other options are available. If there is an obvious and virtually certain hazard, I can't believe they would ignor it because of the 25 ft regulation. How far beyond 25 ft is it? If it's just a matter of a few feet, their decision to do nothing is silly. I'd say you need to call them and press the issue some more.

Speaking of "press", I think the earlier post about the 6:00 news is an idea to consider. And if TV is something that's too far away, there must be a local paper that can be called. A picture of the tree, a picture of your daughter, some ignorant quotes from the stupid neighbor. Let the jerk defend why he won't permit the dead and useless tree to be taken down. How about a visit to local town officials, maybe bring it up at the next town meeting. A little community involvement here might get the guy to cave.

If you get nowhere legally, you have to weigh the real danger to your daughter and home vs. the consequences if you just go and cut the thing down. Ask a cop, ask the town justice. If the worst case is that you will have to pay a fine, then just take the damn thing down and ride out the storm. I can't believe that you would actually have to do any jail time for cutting down a dead tree that was leaning towards your house. There's an old saying that it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

Make sure you park something of value in the direct path of the tree. So if and when it falls it takes that object with it. You could use a new wood splitter couldnt you? Or perhaps a new four-wheeler?

Back