anyone have a gasification stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topofthehil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
anyone have a gasification boiler?

I'm looking to install a gasification stove this summer.
I've been looking into a Garn, EKO or a Greenwood.
the Tarm is out, as they are some what limited to the east coast.
I live in west central WI.
does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with any of these?

Last edited:
i think they are wood boilers. not wood stoves do they even make gasification wood stoves?

thanks
Jason

yes, they are wood boilers, not wood stoves.
I have also been looking into soap stone stoves.
I don't think there is such a thing as a gasification wood stove.
any info on gasification boilers such as who has a better boiler?

We just purchased a Crown Royal gasification boiler this fall. So far we are having problems getting it to run properly. It overheats and shuts off often. We've only had it a few months. We're still trying to get it adjusted properly. Haven't had a lot of help from Northland Distributing (they sell the Crown Royals). I have to say, though, that it is very efficient. I'll try to keep you up to date as we progress with. If you know anyone who owns one, we would love to talk to them about their experience with it.

Try the Boiler Room at the ********** forums. Lots of great advice and knowledge there.

Don't rule out Econoburn either...

The two main categories of gasification are the forced downdraft.. which includes Eko, Tarm, Econoburn, Woodgun...

and the Seton type refractory mass boilers which would be your Greenwood, Seton, Greenfire, etc.

There are gasification-combustion wood stoves, but no major brand names that I know of. The only one with any sort of national distribution is Sedore, and even then it's sort of a mom-and-pop operation. The design of that stove is good and I see no reason it wouldn't work well. I almost bought one but I was a little concerned about long-term availability of parts and such.

I thought this thread was dead.

wow, I thought this thread was dead.
I started it june of '06 when I was looking for a boiler.
after much research, I bought a garn 2000.
expensive, but works great.

No thread is too old for someone like me to unwittingly post a reply without looking at the start date after some yaehoo dug it up from the grave.

Glad you're happy with the Garn, I've heard they're very well built units. All gasifiers are expensive initially, but if, like me, one is going from buying oil to cutting wood of one's own land, the payback period can be as little as three or four years.

Roi

I figure it will take me about 4 - 5 years for the pay back of the garn.
that's including the plumbing of the infloor heat, shop heaters, valves, ect...
I have about 110 acres of woods.

No thread is too old for someone like me to unwittingly post a reply without looking at the start date after some yaehoo dug it up from the grave...

I also didn't pay attention to the start date of the thread. Need a flag on it or something for those of us that don't pay attention.

We just purchased a Crown Royal gasification boiler this fall. So far we are having problems getting it to run properly. It overheats and shuts off often. We've only had it a few months. We're still trying to get it adjusted properly. Haven't had a lot of help from Northland Distributing (they sell the Crown Royals). I have to say, though, that it is very efficient. I'll try to keep you up to date as we progress with. If you know anyone who owns one, we would love to talk to them about their experience with it.

Welcome to the site. You can dig up any old thread you want. Course us upstater's gots to stick together.

I'd like to hear more about your Garn.I have a welder friend (a master) who did prototype work for them.This was probably the early 90's.He had a unit there that he offered to sell for something like $400.I have been kicking myself for years for not getting it.

Matt,
Northland is the manufacturer, right? Do you have a local dealer you purchased it through?

keep kicking

coog,
you can continue kicking yourself for not buying that prototype Garn.
$400 .... wow, I think I bought my 2000 for around $14,000.
that was with a SS stack & elbows, chemicals, wall thimble, ect...
I have a neighbor that has one of the earlier Garns.
it's over 20 years old and still going strong.
look at some of my old posts for more info.
I almost bought a wood gun, but liked the idea of nonpressure and btu storage, so I bought the Garn.

You want to really humiliate me? I had information about a facility that had three large Garns that they were no longer using as they felt the labor was too high to keep them running.Last I heard, they were giving them to a guy for the cost of the clean-up.They were going to require a full boat toxic clean-up because the boilers were packed in vermiculite inside the building.I have emptied places of a least 1000 yards of the stuff over the years.

Last edited:
vermiculite insulation

I did not build the suggested enclosure with vermiculite insulation for my Garn.
instead, I used a 2" thick high temp, high density wrap with a reflective backing.
it has a rating of 2,000^F.
I have a diff of about 1^F from the water temp in the boiler to the temp of the outside of the insulation jacket.
I don't mind the slight heat loss, as that helps keep the chill out of the shop where I have the Garn installed.

Latest posts

Back