Anyone have a Harbor Freight engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one on a generator. Apparently, ethanol "melted something down" in carb and rusted the fuel tank something fierce. Replaced tank and carb, it started on the first pull again, just like when it was new. Used heavy dose of Stabil this time. Hope it helps!

Sadly, I'll take the little chinese HF engines over the Honda GF engines any day.
I have not had good luck with the gf Honda engines built in China, I've had valve train failure in two. We run one of the Harbor Freight engines on a water pump, pumping all summer long to irrigate a big patch of sweet corn and tomatoes. It will run 8 to 12 hours a day for three months unless it rains heavily. The little HF engine just keeps on going, starts the first pull.

Here are pictures of my splitter showing if the ripcord is reversed how it will be impacted by the I-beam.

Reaper.......

You have an easy fix to use one of these Lifan engines. Turn the whole engine 180 degrees and put the pump out the back of the splitter and the pull cord will now be where the pump is at and oriented in the proper direction.....problem solved. You might need a couple longer hoses, but in the end you will still invest less then purchasing a Briggs or Honda as a replacement.

Craig

Pull Cord Orientation

Thanks for posting a pic of your splitter with the engine on it. But just as I expected, the recoil will be positioned right next to the I-bean making it hard to access the rip-cord. My hydro pump faces the front, or ball hitch side of the splitter. At the local Northern Tool store, they sell another brand of the blue colored chinese engine. Only the rip cord is facing the same way as the Honda engines do. Which would be to my benefit. I'll figure something out.

PS. Thats one mighty big tree your taking on.
Changing the pull cord orientation so that it pulls away from the frame of the splitter is a piece of cake. I spent about 15 minutes doing exactly that for mine.

I just put one of those 6.5's on my 20 ton splitter the thing is awesome it originally had a 5.5 brigs on it, night and day difference the 6.5 I don't even run wide open otherwise its constantly bouncing off the governor so I idle it down a bit (still turns 3600) but just sips the gas and when you hit a hard round it doesn't bog down at all just smooths out and powers through. the second time I used it I think I split just shy of a full cord of elm with a full tank ~1 gallon and had to put in the last little splash I had left in the can no complaints. just remember to buy 4- 8mm bolts to mount the pump to the engine

Back