Anyone have any Mobile 1 2-stroke synthetic left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a qt. mix bottle I got from the boating section at Walmart to mix my mower and saw gas. They no longer carry the bottle but I am sure that any boating store would have one. I pour in oil, stabil then add some fuel from my fuel jug and mix it in the bottle and then pour it back in the jug. I then fill the jug with the proper amount of gasoline. If you put the cap back on the bottle it will stay clean for the next mix session, keeps things clean and simple and I like that.

Ive had good luck with the opti-2 oil,although it isnt cheap,it also has built in stabilizer which helps with the way chain saws are often stored without thought to the fuel going bad.Ive also run opti-4 in my hot running briggs air cooled side valved push blower,the 8 hp I/C usually doesnt last long in that application being run full load all the time,but mine is 7 yrs old,runs like new,no oil usage at all,and no smoke.I only change it once a season,and Im very impressed with it so far.

http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-2.htm

Not to try and hijack this thread but does anyone know who makes Ultra for Stihl? Is it a re branded motorbike 2t oil or their exclusive formulation ie. can you find it under another brand name?

The beauty of the scale method is that you can easily determine the amount of liquid that does not pour out.

I measure out several smaller batches worth at a time in a disposable cup (put into used premix bottles) so there is no cleaning up.

I have ran Amsoil 100:1 full synthetic 2-cycle oil for...well, since 1988. I've used it in outboard motors, weedeaters, chainsaws, motorcycles, and blowers. All I'll say is that the 100:1 is the only oil that I've ran where I got 20+ years service out of any 2-stroke engine. One spark plug change on a single commercial weedeater in 21 years of use. Pretty good I'd say. I've got 8 years on a Poulan Pro chainsaw with stellar results and even on my MS-361 that seems to like the oil just fine. Just my humble experiences.

I happen to find some more..............................yes it is.

attachment.php

Last edited:
re: liquid candle makers dye

Picked up some today. Turns out it's water based. Won't mix.

Ian

I looked at one local Autozone Yesterday.....no 2T left.

Here is something a bit scary. I emailed the national distributor for Sherco Trials bikes and ask him about running Amsoil Saber at 100:1 in my trials bike. I ride pretty slowly as I am learning and there is always a little bit of oil oozing out of the exhaust pipe flange even though I am mixing at the specified 80:1. He reported that Amsoil works fine at 100:1 and they have even run it as lean as 125:1 without any problems. YIKES!!!!!

Modern trials bikes are water cooled and they don't turn a bunch of rpm's for any length of time...and I would never run this lean mixture in my air cooled chainsaw that is run at full throttle continually. But here is how a modern trials bike is used (my bike is not challenged this much):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KQRmUzPNU&feature=related

Holy carp. I had no idea it had come that far.

I found myself thinking about how much beating that guy's body has taken in learning to do those big rock climbs.

Each generation starts where the last one left off, advancing each sport. Amazing.

This guy's got some brass balls as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXPflPh-8M&NR=1

Last edited:
Maxeys Honda here in Oklahoma have a bunch and I think I know why! It's 13$ a quart:chainsaw: Probably will buy a couple of quarts until I can buy in bulk somewhere:givebeer: -dave-

Well, thanks to those that sent information and/or offeres to get Mobil 1 2T and ship it. The price with shipping is just too high to justify my buying it that way, and seemingly the stuff is all but gone from any store shelves. At blowout prices of 2 cents a bottle in some places, it is all but gone.

I wound up buying Elf 2T full synthetic at a motorcycle shop that is rated the same as Mobil 1 2T for $12 a litler. It seems to run OK so far.

Not to try and hijack this thread but does anyone know who makes Ultra for Stihl? Is it a re branded motorbike 2t oil or their exclusive formulation ie. can you find it under another brand name?

There is a new Deere/Stihl shop in town now that Deere is out of the chainsaw biz, they seem to have cut a deal with Stihl at some of their locations. Sadly that is going to drive some other Stihl dealers out of business. Anyway, I went there the other day and looked around. They have all the types of Stihl oils, and I looked them over. I found that Stihl regular oil has a JASO FB rating. No same rating as Castrol 2T blue goo that is cheap at any auto parts store, but that stuff smokes a lot. The interbediate synthetic blend Ultra has a JASO FD rating, which is pretty darn good. The fully synthetic Ultra has only a JASO FB rating on it. I do not know why that is, but that is what it said on the bottles that they had there on the shelves.

Now, several here and other places have said that the full synthetic runs better than synthetic blends, but the JASO ratings say otherwise, at least in the case of the Stihl Ultra oils. :dizzy: :confused:

Last edited:
The primary reason I run 2t over dino is that it stinks the least of any oil I've tried so far. (Admittedly I haven't tried that many different synthetics, though.)

Ultra close behind.

I had occasion recently to have to use some Husky XP and had forgotten how much more stink it made. Poured the rest of the batch into some vehicles and mixed up some 2T. Whew.

Last edited:
..I now remember the reason that I don't like to use it for small mixes is that the cup is huge - and when you measure out 2.6 oz and pour it into the gas container - most of the oil sticks to the sides of the Ratio Rite. This requires you to start pouring some gas from the fuel container into the Ratio Rite and swishing it around until it is all washed of the side of the Ratio Rite. It takes me about 3 or 4 of these rinsings until I have all the oil out of the Ratio Rite.

I found the same about the RR. I started pouring gas into the RR before pouring to reduce the amount of oil I need to clean up, i.e. only the oil at the bottom, none in the pour path. Requires one or two fewer washings.

There is a new Deere/Stihl shop in town now that Deere is out of the chainsaw biz, they seem to have cut a deal with Stihl at some of their locations. Sadly that is going to drive some other Stihl dealers out of business. Anyway, I went there the other day and looked around. They have all the types of Stihl oils, and I looked them over. I found that Stihl regular oil has a JASO FB rating. No same rating as Castrol 2T blue goo that is cheap at any auto parts store, but that stuff smokes a lot. The interbediate synthetic blend Ultra has a JASO FD rating, which is pretty darn good. The fully synthetic Ultra has only a JASO FB rating on it. I do not know why that is, but that is what it said on the bottles that they had there on the shelves.

Now, several here and other places have said that the full synthetic runs better than synthetic blends, but the JASO ratings say otherwise, at least in the case of the Stihl Ultra oils. :dizzy: :confused:

The only difference between the FB and FD rating is smoke output. Ultra produces a little bit more smoke than the synthetic blend. Ultra however burns cleaner inside the engine, and smells a whole lot better than any synthetic blend or dino oil.

Last edited:
Back