Anyone have any Mobile 1 2-stroke synthetic left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells awesome and burns extremely clean.

attachment.php

Look at Red Line synthetic 2-cycle racing oil. I called redline about using the racing oil in my saws,brush-cutter,blower and he laughed and said..."sure you can son....but don't you think thats overkill?". So i do use it, virtually no smoke and the engine runs better. I always mix it to OEM specs though.

Picked up some today. Turns out it's water based. Won't mix.

Ian

You must of got the wrong stuff, the dye I use mixes very well with oil, or gasoline. I use 10 to 12 drops to the pint of oil and it turns my fuel mix a nice blue, no problems mixing, it is almost instantainous, just a couple of shakes and it's done! It is petro based dye, I don't know why they would sell water based dye for candle making as parafin is oil based. I would take it back and recheck the candle making area for dye, the bottles are small maybe 1 oz. or so. You can get larger amounts from ebay for less money if you are a big user. Good luck!

I think it is too bad that John Deere is getting into other types of products like Stihl Chainsaws and Gun Safes. You would think that farm equipment would be enough. We need the good mom and pops outdoor lawn care stores, they don't need to be run out of business by the greedy big boys. The offer still stands for shipping you a case or two of the Mobil oil, I think I can still find it at $8.50 a qt. plus UPS shipping.

The only difference between the FB and FD rating is smoke output. Ultra produces a little bit more smoke than the synthetic blend. Ultra however burns cleaner inside the engine, and smells a whole lot better than any synthetic blend or dino oil.

WRONG!!!

FB and FD has differences in smoke, exhaust blocking and detergency testing. The only difference between FC and FD is the detergency test which for FD is 3 hours versus 1 hour for FC.

Last edited:
This cannot be right though:

"ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD."

Becasue many of the JASO FC oil out there is rated ISO-L-EGD, as is the Elf 2T oil that I bought, and the last empty bottle of Mobil 1 2T racing oil that I have.

Could be as you have to pay to display the relevant JASO licence and it isn't cheap to get all your oils tested, and they have to be re-tested for each spec.

Mobil may have tested and bought an ISO-L-EGD licence and not bothered with the JASO FD as it already had an FC licence for it and the oil was being discontinued anyway, yet it may well exceed the FD spec if tested.

Have the complete JASO test protocol and licence procedure as a PDF, as well as the most recent list of JASO two stroke licences if anyone is interested.
Trying to get the ISO testing protocol.

While obviously out of date, this is interesting...

The exhaust blocking and smoking tests are run by mixing the test oil at an over-rich 10:1 ratio and running it in a two-stroke portable generator. The exhaust is channeled into a chamber where a photo cell measures the light that can pass through the smoke. It sounds crude but it works! Finally, a real world test to measure exhaust smoke from two-stroke engines! The exhaust blocking test simply examines the pencil sized exhaust outlet for carbon blocking. At a 10:1 ratio, these tests are very hard to pass. The highest JASO rating is FC. Lower ratings are "FB" and "FA." An even higher "FD" rating could be seen in the future.

In Europe, European two-cycle engine manufacturers were simultaneously working on two-cycle oil tests to separate the cheap, poor quality oils from the top quality oils. They tested the JASO reference oils in European engines and
their top reference oils in Japanese engines. They found that European two-stroke high performance engines needed an oil with a better detergency and
higher temperature performance than the best JASO "FC" oils. In April, 1997, they published their ISO global standards for two-stroke oils with two quality level categories: ISO-L-EGB and ISO-L-EGC. The ISO-L-EGB aligns closely with JASO "FB" and the ISO-L-EGC aligns closely with JASO "FC" for minimum test standards. Then, they developed the "GD" detergency test to run hotter and longer (3 hours vs. 1 hour) than the JASO detergency test. Oils passing the new ISO quality level, ISO-L-EGD would be superior to any previous two-stroke oils available! Of course, it didn't take long for oil manufacturers to develop and test oil formulations that pass this new quality test, and most of them involve using synthetic base oils. Running these tests is a very expensive and time consuming effort but in the end, a bottle of oil with one of these JASO FC/ISO- L-EGD certified ratings means that the oil meets the highest quality tests set by the engine manufacturer in Japan and Europe.

from here http://snowmobile.off-road.com/snowmobile/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=253908

<edit>

The JASO FD test measures detergency at a "fundamental part" and the piston skirt. The FB and FC tests only measure detergency at the "fundamental part"

Last edited:
Look at Red Line synthetic 2-cycle racing oil. I called redline about using the racing oil in my saws,brush-cutter,blower and he laughed and said..."sure you can son....but don't you think thats overkill?". So i do use it, virtually no smoke and the engine runs better. I always mix it to OEM specs though.

I bought a bottle to try out when the last bit of my Mobil 2T runs out.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?categoryID=3

JQ

So much for my dream of moving to kiwi-land...

Moving to NZ is rather difficult. You have to have enough points to emigrate there. Points are for age (more if younger), a$$et$, educational degrees, job skills, family ties in NZ, and some other stuff. I looked into it some years ago.

Elf oil I bought last week was $12 for a liter.

Oil Measure Method

Over this weekend I refined my oil measurement method. A couple of us on this thread have the Ratio Rite funnels - and they are marked so that you can measure out a 50:1 mix for a 1 gallon container (2.6 ounces of oil). The problem is that the funnel is rather large and when you measure the oil and then pour it out you end up with a lot of oil sticking to the side of the Ratio Rite - and it takes 3-4 rinses with gas to get the oil in the gas can where it belongs.

In the past I have been using a plastic bottle left over from Lucas Fuel Treatment that I used in my truck. Originally I marked the 2.6 oz level in the bottle by using a pre-measured Stihl bottle of oil that I dumped into the Lucas bottle - however I was still a little uncertain of how the oil clinging in the Stihl bottle might have affected my measurement.

This weekend I got another Lucas bottle and dumped it in my truck.
attachment.php

I then removed the labels, and then measured out 2.6 ounces of gasoline in my Ratio Rite and dumped it into the empty Lucas Bottle. I used gasoline instead of oil as very little would cling to the Ratio Rite - and I marked the Lucas bottle with a thin felt tip where the 2.6 OZ level was. I then poured this 2.6 OZ of gasoline into a second Lucas bottle I had - then poured 2T oil in to the marked line on the Lucas bottle. Then (this is the tricky part) - I dumped the oil in tje Lucas bottle oil back into the quart oil bottle and waited about 5 seconds for it to drain and then turned it upright. This was a simulation of me dumping the 2T mix oil into my fuel jug - and it left a portion of oil clinging to the sides of the Lucas bottle. I then added the 2.6 OZ of gasoline that was in the other Lucas bottle to the Lucas bottle that had the oil still clinging to the bottle, put on the cap and shook it up and marked the oil level with a heavy marker. The result is that the bottle now had two lines on it - one was a 2.6 OZ level and the higher one was a correction for the amount of oil that was needed to pour out 2.6 OZ in a 5 second dump - the extra oil accounts for the oil that will stick to the sides of the Lucan bottle when it is dumped.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The good news is that if you want to be able to measure out 2.6 OZ of oil in a Lucas bottle you can just mark the bottle at 2-5/8" from the bottom of the bottle - and if you want to make a correction for the oil that sticks to the bottle measure 3" from the bottom. The bad news is that you have to spend a bit more than $ 5.00 to get the Lucas Fuel Treatment and the bottle it comes in.
attachment.php

I know this is a bit detailed and a long post....but I now feel a lot better about how I measure oil......and I don't need to spend time rinsing out my oil bottle after I measure to make sure I got the right amount of oil.

Back