Anyone have anyexperience with using a Logosol to build a cabin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFC B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the site here. I am a soldier who loves to do woodworking whenever possible (ie using my Kreg Jig) and have recently discovered the Logosol line and am interested in the possibility of using one to build a cabin with. I am an ametur sawyer and currently only have a 38cc Mac. I have had it for ten years of home usage so I guess I got my $90 back... Any experiences or suggestions would be great. I am in the feasibility stage right now.

227798d1331209104-100_0129-jpg
I also wanted to mill my own logs for a cabin,I went with a D- log design.After much consideration,I found it more economical to hire an experienced mill operator.He came to the site and with a Timber King bandsaw mill,he milled all the logs for less than $300.00.
Just something to think about.Here's a picture of the finished cabin.

Last edited:
hmmm

Yooper,
How did you get the D profile milled? Did this guy have a moulder? Cabin looks GREAT!! Do you have t&G cut into the logs? Thanks for responding!

Hi,

The logs were just milled flat on 3 sides.There isn't any tongue and groove.Suprisingly,the logs seasoned very well and didn't twist much.
I just stacked the logs on top of each other and used 10 inch timber screws to fasten.The timber screws would pull out most of the twist.
After the walls were built and stained,the joints were caulked with Log Builder's Caulk.

Nice!!

I really do like that. If you have anymore pics I would love to see them (especially if they are of the building in progress:biggrin: ). How long ago did you build this? How long did it take you?

Started on the cabin in June of 2011 and had it pretty much done(except for the trim and a chimney)on Labor Day Weekend.I only had the evenings and weekends available.It was just me and my Dad building it.I'll get some more pictures up tomorrow.It was a very fun time with my Dad(something I'll always remember) and I'd love to build another one.

if you check the logosol site theres a lot of info on the kit they do for log building, I myself have an M7 mill, with a 660 powering it, along with the log moulder, again powered by another 660, and the things that you can turn out from raw timber with these two bits of kit is amazing. Over here in th UK I have a friend not far from me who started a business building log cabins using the exact same kit, he's now progressed to static sawmill production because he was getting to busy with what he had(took about 14-20 days to saw and mould the timber for a cabin) I only do smaller stuff at the moment, sheds, garden furniture, hot tubs and the like, because i dont have the yard space, but hopefully this will change soon!! Ive been involved building the cabins and with the logosol kit its real easy, 4 passes with the chainsaw, and 2 with the moulder(3 or 4 if you want internal/external profiles) and your log is done, they do moulder knives up to 8" so you can use some really big logs the only down side to logosol kit is the price, but compared to what else is out there the quality and simplicity of use make up for this.

$$

Mog,
I would love to be able to have the whole set up, but for me this would have to be a low budget affair. More sweat than $ :laugh: How is it finding timber in Scotland? I was stationed in England for a while and lived on a farm that abutted the Southern edge of the Elveden Estate in Suffolk. It was torture looking at all that timber( not too mention the DEER!!) and not be able to partake. :D I missed the chance to get up North while I was there. I have family roots from the Isle of Harris and would have loved to have gotten out there.

Yoop,
Thanks!!

Those pics look great. I believe I am going to start looking for land. I will probably have to make it a "camping" cabin since water availability and rights are a BIG issue here in CO. From looking at this I believe I can do this :)

Yep, I'm not gong to have plumbing or running water,or electricity either.I'm using an inverter with a deep cycle battery to run the lights.Works great! This summer I'll add a solar panel to keep the battery charged.

I would like to be somewhere with water available. The electricity is a much simpler question to answer. Especially solar out here is very viable. I hope I can find some land now. The older I get the more I really want to get some peace in the woods. I have been accused of being a closet hermit :)

There was an extensive posting on the Logosol owners forum about building a cabin with a Logosol M-5 posted by alaskayukondave in the portable sawmill section. The site has since been overrun by spam, but you may still be able to access the thread by doing a name search. Forum is accessed through the Logosol website. You may need to register to do a search.

Lots of options if you're looking at a stick built or timberframe cabin. A log cabin will narrow options significantly, especially if you want the cabin to be reasonably air tight. First question to answer is: Will you be milling in the future after the cabin is done? If no, then you could hire out the milling or buy a more expensive, more capable mill and resell it when you're done. If you cut your own, you will need a LOT of time to do it. Chain saw mills are cheaper but slower and you will need a big saw. The saw will be a major part of your investment and will be overkill for sawing firewood after you're done with the mill, so it only makes sense if you plan on future milling or resell it. I have owned an M-5 for a long time, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the Big Mill system and make my own mill support.

Thanks for reply. I tried to get on the Logosol site but it was totally jacked. If I can get enough land with enough timber I would like to do some milling of my own and in the area there is the possibility of hiring out. I had thought about a Timberking/Woodmizer set up but that is a good amount of $. If I could build a decent little cabin I might be able to get Mama to buy into me building a house. :msp_biggrin: I really do want to be responsible for my own place. Also, the more wood working and cutting I get to do the happier I am.

Hey yooper how strict are building codes up your way? My son is going to college in Sault St. Marie and loves it up there thought about getting some property and building either a getaway or retirement home wondered if you could cut your own logs mill them and build something similar to what you have done. Great work and thanks for all the pics !! :msp_thumbup:

Back