Brand New Stihl 076AV: Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These "what's it worth threads are almost always useless. They always turn
bad for one reason or the other. In reality there is no other 076AV new in
the box for sale or sold recently to determine it's real value. To me if some
one wants a value on anything, Put it on ebay where everyone in the world
can see it if they wish. Interesting parties can bid accordingly and the high
bidder wins. That tells you what it is worth. The selling price. There are lot's
of chainsaw nuts out there that don't visit these forums. Some collectors with
thousands of saws that might like the 076AV but will never know about it cuz
he or she isn't on this site.

Lee

Hey uncle Lee, what`s a chainsaw nut?....LOL

A brand new 076 should have a chain brake...
It is not easy putting a price on "new" vintage stuff. From the initial post all I could tell was that the intention was to use this 076. In that case buying a used one for less money would be more reasonable.
It is difficult to put a value on that saw because there really is no market for new vintage stuff.

Opening this thread was a major mistake. I am sorry for that.
There's too much of a difference on how saws are considered by people here and in the world at large. Apparently we speak two completely different languages: I asked for a realistic valuation for a 30+ years old chainsaw with no chainbrake (hence not usable by loggers and other commercial operators) which was produced on large scale and it seems like we are dealing with Van Gogh's lost masterpieces.

There's a 076AV in good shape on the local classified. The seller wants €600 for it. The ad has been around for three months (I know the website and it needs to be manually reconfirmed every two weeks), meaning there are no takers even at that price. What does that say? Surely that on our market a 076AV is not worth the crazy valuations I've read here. A brand new MS880 can be had for about €1600. I am no "collector" but I would consider that the benchmark for a 100+cc Stihl chaisaw.
No, this isn't just a 30+ year old saw. If it's truly NOS, it's a survivor, and worth MUCH more because of that. No, it should not be sold for less than 1,000 for someone to run on a mill. Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer.

No, this isn't just a 30+ year old saw. If it's truly NOS, it's a survivor, and worth MUCH more because of that.

Got to agree with Brad on this - the value is to a collector, not to someone who is going to actually use it. If you're looking for something to use, it makes a lot more sense to find one that's in good condition, or buy a nice 084/088 in good condition. Frankly, if the NOS 076 was mine, I wouldn't even think about selling it for less than $1,500. And I know it's not an 090, but didn't an NOS 090 recently get bid up over $3000 on eBay?

FYI - to the folks in the states, a chainsaw with no brake is not worth nearly as much in Europe. Case in point - a complete and running Stihl Contra can be bought all day long in Germany for $300. None of these came with brakes, of course.

Ok, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't even call to ask the price. As I mention in my post, there's a significant difference in the saw market in Europe and the US for saws without brakes. And the majority of folks responding here are in the U.S. or Canada. It might be significantly cheaper because of the legal issues of using this saw in Germany or wherever it's located.

Don't worry, I won't bother you people anymore.
I have no doubt you'll all become billionaires selling those saws you have stockpiled.

I don't understand your attitude. No one said you had to pay this guy $1500 for it. Hell, low-ball him, sell it on here, buy an 088 and still have cash in your pocket.

Or give me the shop's address so that you don't have to fool with it. ;)

Don't worry, I won't bother you people anymore.
I have no doubt you'll all become billionaires selling those saws you have stockpiled.

OK, in other words:
I would put the price at around 900 Euros w/o chain brake and if never fuelled. You buy the saw and start her once the price drops to roughly 60% or 500 Euros. You use it for one season and it will be around 350 Euros, provided the saw survives one season.

In most cases a 30-year old saw used regularly and maintained properly will outlive a 30 year-old virgin suddenly put to use without a full overhaul...

Opening this thread was a major mistake. I am sorry for that.
There's too much of a difference on how saws are considered by people here and in the world at large. Apparently we speak two completely different languages: I asked for a realistic valuation for a 30+ years old chainsaw with no chainbrake (hence not usable by loggers and other commercial operators) which was produced on large scale and it seems like we are dealing with Van Gogh's lost masterpieces.

There's a 076AV in good shape on the local classified. The seller wants €600 for it. The ad has been around for three months (I know the website and it needs to be manually reconfirmed every two weeks), meaning there are no takers even at that price. What does that say? Surely that on our market a 076AV is not worth the crazy valuations I've read here. A brand new MS880 can be had for about €1600. I am no "collector" but I would consider that the benchmark for a 100+cc Stihl chaisaw.
My 2 cents ! The last saw I would ever spend my money on to use as a everyday saw ,be it milling or bucking or for firewood saw would be a 35 pound dinosaur. There is the almost non availability of replacement parts when it breaks down and the modern saws of today will out perform it all day long. As for an 076 in its day it was the nuts!!! As for arboristsite, very seldom will you find a logger who works 6 days a week on a forum like this! The saw in question is worth what the seller gets for it. To a collector this is a Van Gogh ,to a logger a door stop.

I agree to a degree with so many who have offered replies. Not sure why the OP was getting perturbed.
The 076 anbd any saw for that matter can have a wide range of price valuations. As some have said, condition, intended use, country saw will be owned and used or displayed in can all bear various impacts on the price. It is also as simple as what price is one asking about? Selling price, or purchase price. A seller will always see the saw as worth more, while a buyer will likely be looking to get it for as "little" as possible.

An 076 makes a fine milling saw, while something like a 660, 880, 395 Husky all make fine large tree felling saws.

I agree to a degree with so many who have offered replies. Not sure why the OP was getting perturbed.
The 076 anbd any saw for that matter can have a wide range of price valuations. As some have said, condition, intended use, country saw will be owned and used or displayed in can all bear various impacts on the price. It is also as simple as what price is one asking about? Selling price, or purchase price. A seller will always see the saw as worth more, while a buyer will likely be looking to get it for as "little" as possible.

An 076 makes a fine milling saw, while something like a 660, 880, 395 Husky all make fine large tree felling saws.

OP threw a fit and left this thread, im guessin he wont be back haha. In this case, the condition of the saw was brand new 30+ years old and he intended to use it. Hes got a private profile so nobody knows where hes from. He was obviously buying, so thats the price being talked about. IMO, anybody looking to spend big coin for a NOS collector saw and then go out and cut firewood with it is a ****ing idiot, amd his behavior in this thread proved that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Cus_Deluxe, I agree and am still ok with threads like this. They bring out the various sides to a situation like geographic differences etc that we sometimes forget about.

On that note, I am hunting a decent and reliable 076 to do some milling with. It doesn't have to be a show piece, just a good runner and ready to do so for years to come.

Cus_Deluxe, I agree and am still ok with threads like this. They bring out the various sides to a situation like geographic differences etc that we sometimes forget about.

On that note, I am hunting a decent and reliable 076 to do some milling with. It doesn't have to be a show piece, just a good runner and ready to do so for years to come.

075?

on new pc, so dont have pics handy. $500. it is what you ask above. pm if interested, will get ya some pics.

Latest posts

Back