Anyone Looking At New Trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booshcat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking advantage of the excess pickup inventories, and financing deals and buying a new truck. Anyone else thinking along these lines, and if so what brands do you think would be the best deals?
The way things look at GM, there might not be a GMC around this time next year.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the excess pickup inventories, and financing deals and buying a new truck. Anyone else thinking along these lines, and if so what brands do you think would be the best deals?

I'm not in the market, but if I were I'd save even more money and buy a truck that is a year old or so. Plenty of gently used trucks around too.

Its not a bad idea, Toyota has by far the largest inventory, but they usually think to highly of themselves to drop the price enough to move vehicles. After them it went Ford, Dodge, Chevy... I don't know if they group GMC in with them or not. Everybody has at least a 60 day supply, Toyota was around 140 day supply not too long ago, so who knows.

Everybody has gas deals out there too, Chrysler has the $2.99 gas for 3 years, which when I figured out last didn't save any money compared to financing with 0% (but that would depend on how much money you put down).

Its definitely a buyers market, and don't let the dealer fool you that its not. They need to move vehicles pronto, and the financial groups are willing to really take a hit to move cars since most are owned by Auto makers/Parent Companies.

Shop around a bit, find a dealer willing to work with you, and budget accordingly. Good luck!

Its not a bad idea, Toyota has by far the largest inventory, but they usually think to highly of themselves to drop the price enough to move vehicles. After them it went Ford, Dodge, Chevy... I don't know if they group GMC in with them or not. Everybody has at least a 60 day supply, Toyota was around 140 day supply not too long ago, so who knows.

Everybody has gas deals out there too, Chrysler has the $2.99 gas for 3 years, which when I figured out last didn't save any money compared to financing with 0% (but that would depend on how much money you put down).

Its definitely a buyers market, and don't let the dealer fool you that its not. They need to move vehicles pronto, and the financial groups are willing to really take a hit to move cars since most are owned by Auto makers/Parent Companies.

Shop around a bit, find a dealer willing to work with you, and budget accordingly. Good luck!

aren't GMC's built on the same assembly lines as chevy trucks? i could never figure out the difference. all they do is switch some name plates.

Since I'm still using my old '71 Chevy 1/2 ton as one of my wood haulers, I'll consider getting a "new" (used but newer than 1971!) if this truck glut continues. I would def. get a Chevy or a Ford.

What I'd like to find is a 4 speed; 4WD; 3/4 ton; with a straight six and a big box and normal cab.

Have they made anything like that in the last 20 years?

A practical wood hauler?

aren't GMC's built on the same assembly lines as chevy trucks? i could never figure out the difference. all they do is switch some name plates.

Good point, but what I'm hearing is that Chevys' are selling well, but GMCs' are not...
go figure.

I'm lucky in that I only drive about 12 miles to work, right now my 96 Bronco (5L 302) gets about 13mpg.

I'd like a Ford 250 but they are still over priced.

The best bang for the buck right now is Dodge, about 7000 back to the buyer OR 0% finance for 60 months

I've ordered up a new 4wd mercedes sprinter Lwb, although you may not have them over there or they go by another name. all my logs are sold in bags so i don't need a tipper and a pickup isn't secure enough for any gear.

Dodge or Freightliner sells the Sprinter here stateside. Great vehicles, but not too practical as wood haulers over here. You can't load them from the top like you can a pickup, and we really don't have to worry too much about gear protection, a lot of us can store it inside, or in a toolbox. I have all my ropes, harness, bags, saws, axes, fuel, oil, spikes, and ppe inside my toolbox, locked whenever I want it to be.

GMC is a rebadged Chevy, with slightly different options (basically more upscale, which they call "Professional Grade"... look on a construction site for a GMC, the only "Professional" driving it is the white collar foreman or owner, who rarely gets dirty).

I haven't been looking at new stuff but there sure is alot of used stuff sitting for sale. I have noticed that Texas, Illinois, and Florida seem to be especially glutted with very nice used trucks. Obviously people are selling them because they aren't able to keep fuel in them, but I don't know why those areas are worse.

Here's a tip from an experienced user. A used ('97 to '05 or new if you can afford it) Ford Ranger with a heavy duty 4WD package. Don't laugh. Outfitted with racks like mine shown in the avatar, you can easily load and haul 70 cubic feet of wood. I have the big P265 tires, but I believe P235s are still available.

Best little wood hauler for the money that you can buy and lots of used ones are available. With only 35,000 miles on her, I'm keepin' mine. :D

+ on the ranger!!

I have a 2002 ford ranger also. Now believe this!I put 4.10 full posi in the rear.It has a 5 speed auto air etc.It will take almost 1/2 a cord of red oak with no problem.Now get this it's 2 wheel drive and I never have been stuck!!I live in Hawley Pa. and winters can be tough.And the best part is 22 miles per gallon.4.10 shift up into high gear fast and it stays there.I tow a 25 foot rv also
Ed

Here's a tip from an experienced user. A used ('97 to '05 or new if you can afford it) Ford Ranger with a heavy duty 4WD package. Don't laugh. Outfitted with racks like mine shown in the avatar, you can easily load and haul 70 cubic feet of wood. I have the big P265 tires, but I believe P235s are still available.

Best little wood hauler for the money that you can buy and lots of used ones are available. With only 35,000 miles on her, I'm keepin' mine. :D

I have a 2002 ford ranger also. Now believe this!I put 4.10 full posi in the rear.It has a 5 speed auto air etc.It will take almost 1/2 a cord of red oak with no problem.Now get this it's 2 wheel drive and I never have been stuck!!I live in Hawley Pa. and winters can be tough.And the best part is 22 miles per gallon.4.10 shift up into high gear fast and it stays there.I tow a 25 foot rv also
Ed

+3 On the Ranger,

Mine's a 4x4 5 speed 2.3 4cyl. Still running strong and old enough too vote :cheers:
attachment.php

I had a Dodge pickup, then a Toyota, now a Chevy Silverado. I'm thinking of trading in the Silverado for a new one before they go belly up. Best truck I ever owned: Stainless steel exhaust--replace nothing due to rust; locking rear differial--whole axle locks, if one wheel spins; don't touch anti-freeze for 5 years; don't touch plugs for 100k miles. GMC sister truck has same bennies. Oh yeah, Toyota said if I put a plow on their truck, I would void the warranty.

I miss my ole 93 STX 4x4 ext 4.0L stick shift with 4.10's. I pulled many a cars to the race track with that truck. The rear end is the same as most half tons and the 4.0 (even the older less HP ones) make plenty of grunt to haul the little truck around. Btw, I got 24-25 mpg empty with mine running 80 on the highway with 31x10.50's at the time. Got 21.5 mph hauling a car back from kentucky (beach bend raceway). Oh yeah, it hauled wood and even wood on the trailer. The big thing was stopping it without elec. trailer brakes....which I would recommend also.

But then again, my Z71 is a great truck with more power and room for passengers, just doesn't have the fuel economy the little 6 cyl wonder did.

If you decide to go with the Dodge let me know. I work at one of their plants. I can get you a friends and family discount. It's a pretty good discount and you get all rebates also. Also the person that wanted a big box truck with a 4-speed and a straight six they have made one close to that. Get a Dodge with the cummins. It's a straight six with a 5-speed. Put a flatbed with sides on it and you are ready to go.

Scott

Actually the new Dodge's with Cumimns are 6-spds, the older 24V or 12V were 5-spds, and the Old VE Rotary 12V were 5 spds too, but those Getrags were never much to brag about.

I have a 1992 with a Getrag. They are good trannys if you fill them a quart over full. Mine sees a lot of abuse. It hasn;t had a problem in the 3 plus years I've had my truck. It pulls a chipper (6k) with a chip box full of 10yards all the time. I pull 3 cords of wood down the hwy with a trailer that weighs 5k empty. Two cords on the trailer and 1 on the truck. It's like anything else if you abuse it it will break. I take it easy and don't jam gears. It seems to hold up fine.

Scott

Back