Anyone mill for money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a oppurtunity to make some cash milling, it's my wifes uncle he has a band mill, a real nice one with a 4cyl turbo kubota motor on it. After our visit on some family related issues he gave me a tour of his place and showed me his mill and process. I got to talking about Alaskan mills and he didn't know what it was, but after giving the best description I could you could see a light bulb went off in his head and then he asked "what would you charge me to cut these big logs down so I can get them in my milL?"

I really didn't have a clue and told him it's a hobby and not something I thought of as a profit so he told me what he was paying someone to come in with a chainsaw and rip one down free handed. They guy he has coming charges 38 dollars to half it. I'm sure he pays more than that but thats what he said he paid...who knows. But I'm thinking that is pretty profitable. But I don't know any thoughts anyone??

I believe the drive is around 30-35 miles round trip. I will have to figure that out. My truck gets around 16-17 MPG.

Chainsaw mix and bar oil, It really depends on how much he has to do, the more the better for sure. He said he would have several for me to do at once and not one here one ther type of thing.

The other variable is chains and the time it takes me to sharpen them. ughhh

The final is I might have to invest in a bigger bar for some of the stuff he was showing me. Big crotches and other weird odd shaped butt logs. All I have to do is get the size below 24" so he can fit it in his band mill, but I starting to think if he realizes he can mill those weird ctoches without having to cut part of them down he would start to have me mill the big weird uns!!

I look forward to seeing the different replies.. hourly, $/sq.ft. etc. One thought I had was that if you use lots of milled wood, you clock your time milling, and ask for an equal amount of time milling in return from his band mill. CSM's don't make good 1x6's, but if you needed some, your uncle-in-law could return the favor by cutting for you too.

Then again, if he can be source for those crotches and flared butt end logs... maybe trading time for bd.ft would be an option for some really neat wood.

We use a 4' or 6' bar on the 088 to split the big ones.

For my mill, I charge $45 an hour. Whether I am searching for nails with a detector, splitting a log or milling it.

Nails, spikes and wire are my biggest time wasters.

You have to place a value for your time and all equipment.

With the customer helping....tail end of the mill, unloading boards..it saves time.

Just what we do here.....

Good luck....don't forget pics...

Kevin

It sounds like you need a Granberg Mini Mill to go along with your Alaskan. Obviously you have saws that make enough power, and bars to work with the Alaskan, so you should have it covered otherwise.

In addition to some $$ for your effort, it sounds like an opportunity to score some odd wood.

It sounds like you need a Granberg Mini Mill to go along with your Alaskan. Obviously you have saws that make enough power, and bars to work with the Alaskan, so you should have it covered otherwise.

In addition to some $$ for your effort, it sounds like an opportunity to score some odd wood.

Yeah I think at some point I will end up with a Mini Mill, when I tried Stipes mini out I was imprssed by the ease of set-up that was nice. The thing I disliked was how much saw dust was all over me. I might end up having to go with a 42" bar and longer rails for the Alakan to get through some of that narly logs he had.

What sawdust?....:confused:

attachment.php

LOL, RIGHT THERE!!! Thats what I'm talking about, somewhere behind that cloud of dust is me. After the GTG I wonder what the girls in Kokomo thought of the 2mix cologne and saw dust all over me:)

I am still thinking for cutting cants it would be hard to beat the mini mill...I need to get busy...

I've only done one cash job for money, just a couple months ago in fact. I usually mill to save money which has so far more than paid for my main milling saws and the equipment.

Sounds like you might have a decent opportunity on your hands. I would agree with getting a Mini-Mill or something similar if you're going to be quartering or canting really large logs, and they're really useful for making odd-angled cuts on crotches and burls etc. because you just have to screw a board on at whatever angle you want and cut away.

After the GTG I wonder what the girls in Kokomo thought of the 2mix cologne and saw dust all over me:)

I used to not like going to restaurants etc. after a day's work at the sawmill, but then a co-worker said, "I don't give a :censored: if I'm a bit dirty, the girls just smell the money!" which was good enough for me. I don't need/want a woman that can't tolerate a bit of sawdust and grease anyhow!

Last edited:
I also charge $45/hr for my time.

Here is how I cut cants----

View attachment 102642

(I am still not able to get the picture to appear in the text box, jut the link--I guess I need really basic steps)

Last edited:
I do not have any clear pics of it but will be glad to oblige if you will let me know how you put my picture in there like you did. Do I need to change some settings in my user CP? I upload the picture, put my cursor wher I want it to go, then click on the paperclip above and it puts the link in the field at the cursor--?
The Carriage,or sled, as we call it is the Logosol standard issue, i.e. it comes with the mill, but I am sure you can order them separate. They are made to slide on Logosol's beam.

Here is the best I have for now--

attachment.php

Last edited:
I do not have any clear pics of it but will be glad to oblige if you will let me know how you put my picture in there like you did. Do I need to change some settings in my user CP? I upload the picture, put my cursor wher I want it to go, then click on the paperclip above and it puts the link in the field at the cursor--?
The Carriage,or sled, as we call it is the Logosol standard issue, i.e. it comes with the mill, but I am sure you can order them separate. They are made to slide on Logosol's beam.
Thanks,

Paper clip, up-load the picture then mouse over and right-click the attachment, copy the address from 'Properties' and paste in the thing that looks like mountains on a postage stamp.

Here is the best I have for now--

attachment.php

Thats a nice setup:)

Does anyone know where you can buy the T-track to make the mills bigger, I have a 30" mill and would like to extend it out more, but do not thinkit's neccesary to buy, say a 36" mill when all I need is the t-track??? I tried finding this online but didn't find anyting?

Try your local double glazing makers, if any one knows ally section suppliers then it's them ! Or use another type of rail like 1"x2" Unistrut ?

Back