Anyone mill for money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Woodworkers mill is on sale for under 2 grand---
http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/wwm/
It will cut 8" boards and 90% of what I do is 8' or less. The M7 log supports are 79" apart making it more difficult to saw the shorter logs. it is very versitile. Big logs can be cut "Inverted". Her is a pic of the big log on the back of my truck in the prior post being sawn:

attachment.php

Considering the the lumber industry as a whole is pretty much FUBAR, seems to me that CS milling has low profit potential for the near future.

The Woodworkers mill is on sale for under 2 grand---
http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/wwm/
It will cut 8" boards and 90% of what I do is 8' or less. The M7 log supports are 79" apart making it more difficult to saw the shorter logs. it is very versitile. Big logs can be cut "Inverted". Her is a pic of the big log on the back of my truck in the prior post being sawn:

attachment.php

Very creative billstuewe.

ShoerFast--Here is a pic of how it attaches to the saw. Extender nuts hold the bar on and also hold the sled the right distance out.

attachment.php

Considering the the lumber industry as a whole is pretty much FUBAR, seems to me that CS milling has low profit potential for the near future.

This really has nothing to do with the lumber industry, as no one's going to compete with them anyhow. The kind of customer most of us get, can't find what they want at Lowes or the lumberyard. Some beams, a slab for a table, mantle, and so on. At .35 bf, I do all the custom sawing with my bandmill I want to, the big mills won't even talk to the guy with 3 logs. We fill a need thats non existant in the marketplace.

This really has nothing to do with the lumber industry, as no one's going to compete with them anyhow. The kind of customer most of us get, can't find what they want at Lowes or the lumberyard. Some beams, a slab for a table, mantle, and so on. At .35 bf, I do all the custom sawing with my bandmill I want to, the big mills won't even talk to the guy with 3 logs. We fill a need thats non existant in the marketplace.

For the slabs and other specialty stuff, sure, but when I can get walnut cheap right now at the woodworking store I can't believe it has no impact at all. They even had a slab surfaced on both sides and ready to go. People seem really cautious about spending money for now. It's a tough environment to make money. Kudos if you have all the work you can handle.

Last edited:
It is an 82 Ford F350, 400ci, 4 barrell, 5 MPG, gutsy truck. The log is a Deador Cedar, 36" base x 28" at 16'6". The log probably weighed about 3500# The biggest log I have picked up was a red oak at about 5000#---had to have a buddy stand on the bumper so I could steer. I'll post a pic of it below--
I paid $200 for this truck and another $500 to get it running. Check around for old wreckers--they make great loging trucks. I can cable off a leaning tree and cut my wedge, put some tension on the tree, make the back cut then wench it over where I want it to fall. I put the logs on my trailer and bring them home and then on the mill or on supports at the right height to mill. I even use it to turn logs on the mill. It is very handy.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back