Anyone running a 6" cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My splitter has a 6.5" cylinder off a trash compactor and is flat out unstoppable. It can split logs in half sideways. The stroke is also like 54 inches, so I sometimes load three logs at a time.

Of course I only have a 10hp motor and a 13gpm two stage pump so its not very fast. I am wondering if you guys have big cylinders and what combos you have. I am thinking a 18-20hp V-twin and about a 20-22 gpm two stage pump might be the ticket.

Pics would be appreciated. Thanks
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree with the other guys, if you have a cylinder that big go with a 28 GPM pump...

I wish my cylinder was that big! would be great for splitting elm.

-Leo-

What about the size of the inlet of the cylinder? It looks to me 3/4inch whats the max flow of a 3/4 pipe fitting.

Just shooting ideas out.

Definitely need a 28 gpm 2-stage pump with 14-18 hp. engine. A 30 gpm single stage pump with 50- 60 hp will also work. At 28 gpm the 6.5" cylinder will extend at 3.2 inches per second.

I am in the process of building my own version of the timberwolf box wedge type of splitter and have a 30 HP kohler and a 28 GPM two stage with an 8 " cylinder cycle time is about 27 seconds by my calculations but five splits at a time in the 27 I have a bit of welding to do on it yet will post a pic if interested.

Welcome

I am in the process of building my own version of the timberwolf box wedge type of splitter and have a 30 HP kohler and a 28 GPM two stage with an 8 " cylinder cycle time is about 27 seconds by my calculations but five splits at a time in the 27 I have a bit of welding to do on it yet will post a pic if interested.

Welcome to AS,..Id love to see pics,..Eric

Big cylinder means slow even with big pump. Better to go with small cylinder/big pump/high pressure. That way you get all the benefits of speed/power. And to really get there fast go with lots of power and no 2nd stage. The 2nd stage on any setup is whats kills cycle times if the wood is tough.

2 stage pumps are good for little motors to be able to split big wood at the cost of speed.

Hey Huskyman

How did you end up with a trash compactor cylinder? I ran a bulldozer for Fox Contractors last year at both Peoples and Brent Run landfills last year and was just wondering if I might have seen you out there somewhere.

Hi Bill good to see ya here. I thought I had seen you here when I was reading back posts. These guys already have me looking for a Big Saw! And have already bought a new muffler for my new saw.

Billy

Last edited:

looks like you may have the TW engineers smoked on this one.:hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown:

Why such a big cylinder? They are only using a 5" cylinder and getting an 8 second cycle time out of a 22gpm pump run by an 18hp engine. Seems like a lot of wasted capacity with that big of a cylinder.

Hey Huskyman

How did you end up with a trash compactor cylinder? I ran a bulldozer for Fox Contractors last year at both Peoples and Brent Run landfills last year and was just wondering if I might have seen you out there somewhere.

My brother in law used to repair them. The back end blew out of it and he repaired it after the company bought a new one. Most of the compactors were at stores like Walmart, etc.

I hope the dozers you run have a/c and enclosed cabs lol

I hope the dozers you run have a/c and enclosed cabs lol

I had a nice D5N with a cab A/C and heat for about a month:mad: The under carriage was bad from the tracks running loose before they sent it up here. The master link went completely out sent it back to Indiana for a new undercarriage and I never got it back:chainsaw: Worked most of the year with a D5M open cab. Have to get up and dust myself off every half hour.

I am working around Holland MI this year and should be back up to Clio MI next year.

Have a great one!!!

Billy

Y'all must have more time on your hands than you know what to do with. 27sec cycle time?! WTF?!

There are some wood-related situations where having 6"+ is desirable, but for 99% of firewood work it seems like overkill, even without taking into consideration the tremendous reduction in cycle time. And when you factor in the insanely slow cycle times...I don't get it.

you are right bigger pump (S) needed

yep guys still have to get picture of monster splitter uploaded had a few problems with my normal 4 way splitter last year and replaced the pump 28gpm and cylinder 5.5 inch that was pump i was thinking of using on the big splitter now it works great on the 5.5 but not going to cut it on the big one so i bought a carrier reefer unit for 500.00 that runs great has a kobota 2.2 L diesel engine in it had local diesel guys turn up the pump to 75 - 80 hp and going to mount two 26 gpm single stage pumps on it and feed them together. cycle times will be down to 15 seconds. have to get back on this project work keeps getting in the way of my free time

engine and spliter pictures

here is the kubota and the start of the frame of splitter

Why such a big cylinder? They are only using a 5" cylinder and getting an 8 second cycle time out of a 22gpm pump run by an 18hp engine. Seems like a lot of wasted capacity with that big of a cylinder.

agreed!! even 15 seconds is a very long time! expecially if your only getting 5 peices. :jawdrop:

my processor cycles in 4.5 seconds and splits her 8 ways...

Last edited:
Back