Anyone ship a chainsaw to FRANCE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh....did I hear someone say....MVP?

Way to go!

Jason, good luck on that payment deal. I would not ship outside the US as a brand new seller, just to keep things manageable at first. I hope to begin selling on eFlay soon, but I am reluctant to put myself at risk like that. I will prolly start with small parts, etc, then post a saw or two. Hope it all goes well!
Oh btw make sure your PayPall account is not yor main bank account, as they can freeze all your money if there is a dispute, and they really do not care the least whether you are able to make your house payment...........

US Postal is the way to Internationally. Some people are willing to pay more for a product if you're willing to ship out of country. I've sold two 084's to guys in Australia, with bars 2 bars and chains, shipping came to about 200$ each.

I have sold 3 or 4 things on feebay now. I relay like the way you hafto accept pay pal now. As if the eBay fees weren't high enough. I think I am done costs way to much buy the time you are done with fees.

Ship to france?

I shipped International for 2 or 3 years, and there was just too many problems and I lost enough money that I will not do it anymore. Lost a camera in France. Buyer said he did not get it, and I could only track it to French Customs, so I had to refund the money and take a loss. Lost on one to Switzerland. Lost on one to Hong Kong. Heard enough??

I have got stuff from all over the world, I am not sure about sending from the states but it should be a simple process from USPS.
In my experience the main freight companies, UPS, Fedex, DHL and others screw you if you are a private individual. They are geared towards big businesses.
I have found that they often charge the receiver a fee for customs clearance on this side, a big scam IMO.
Try USPS it works OK and if you are worried about it getting there make sure you offer the option of signed-for on receipt.
It all depends on the value of the item.
A powerhead would definately be worth sending with the max insurance and tracking that is allowed.
Ebay is not a great system and Paypal is far from good, but what other options are there that reach a global market?
The problem with Paypal is that when it works, it works good, when something goes wrong and you have to deal with a human employee it is a bad scene.
I guess there are that many scams going that they just take their sweet time.

Tie, don't ship anything until the funds show up in your Paypal....period! I won't touch int'n for anything. Ani't worth it. In your auctions you need to spell out your terms. I.E. Ship to US only, Item must be paid for within 3 days of auction end with Paypal, And that a bidder with less than 10 feedbacks needs to contact you before bidding. Be careful over there.... lots of scanners looking for people with low or no prior sales. WDO

I sent a cub, italian made saw back to italy. The post office lady filled out the papers in less then 2 minutes, i believe the cost was about $82, buyer was satisfied and left feedback.
I had a few of the paypal holding funds deal, the first ones i just refunded the buyer's money, i finally gave up and waited. I was paid as soon as the feedback was left.

I second what Jtheo says...based on my experience there is only one affordable option to ship items overseas and thats via usps. Maybe they have improved tracking and delivery confirmation since I shipped saws overseas, but regardless it isn't worth it imo.

Even before paypal's new policy I had two overseas buyers file a paypal complaint saying they didn't receive the package the day after I mailed the item out. They did this, eventhough I sent them photos of the customs forms the day I mailed them out. Since there isn't delivery confirmation your relying on their honesty as to whether they receive the package or not. Also you run across the risk that the buyer is unhappy with the saw. In this case you end up eating the initial $100 plus shipping charge. There isn't enough money in the used saw market to lose money on the potential dishonest overseas buyer. Eventhough you will get a bit more money allowing overseas bidders in on your auction it will take about 6 or more overseas saw sales to recover from one bad/dishonest one. I'd probably feel safe mailing a saw to a regular overseas AS member, but I'll never mail a saw to a random overseas ebay buyer again.

I' have shipped probably around 50 saws overseas with USPS, but that was before the big price increase and never had a problem. I no longer ship out of the US except to Canada and only if the item weighs less than 4 lbs., or if it will fit in an international flat rate box. I sent a 600.00$ 395 Husky to a guy once in Portugal back when you could use the slow boat method. It took 6 months for the guy to get it. It spent 3 month in Customs. It was a mess communicating with him. He didn't speak English and I didn't speak Portugal.

Paypal is holding payment until it is confirmed delivered or he leaves feedback is what the email I got from Paypal said. Pissed me off real quick. Keep in mind, it was my first ebay sale as a seller.

Something doesn't sound right. I've sold several items on ebay and I've always received payment before shipping said merchandise.

And when I bought my CS-400, there was nothing in Paypal saying I could withhold payment until the saw was delivered.

Like others have said, do not ship before payment.

Back