anyone us a pickaroon while unloading, splitting, or stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on this forum suggested using a garden hoe for pulling those last rounds off a pickup , works well but I see a hookaroon in my near future.

Hey Zogger:
I sugjest you just try a pickeroon.
Peavys ,pulp hooks, hookeroon/pickeroons where developed for one reason, to work smarter not harder.
As for jumping up into the bed of the P/U, I haven't been able to do that for at least ten years. I have to sit on the tail gate and roll in.
Then have to stand up. As for getting down, if I jump, my chin would surely hit the ground.
As you get older, some adjustment have to be made and my pickeroon is a big help in that direction.
When I purchased my HD rental, Walt the repair guy, questioned my using a chainsaw at MY AGE.
Yep, I got 15 runners and another dozen or so in parts and fix ups. I got a Skill chainsaw comming, no spark, we will give it a go.

Reminds me, have to get my son and grandson to get me more wood.
I split the last round yesterday, stringy cherry, nasty stuff to work.

FREDM, Oxford, CT

Someone on this forum suggested using a garden hoe for pulling those last rounds off a pickup , works well but I see a hookaroon in my near future.

All it takes is for one use of a hookeroon to realize what a piss poor substitute a hoe or rake is. I used them for years before I bought my hookeroon at what I had considered 'excessive cost for a "nail on a stick"' - how wrong I was!!

Harry K

Hey Zogger:
I sugjest you just try a pickeroon.
Peavys ,pulp hooks, hookeroon/pickeroons where developed for one reason, to work smarter not harder.
As for jumping up into the bed of the P/U, I haven't been able to do that for at least ten years. I have to sit on the tail gate and roll in.
Then have to stand up. As for getting down, if I jump, my chin would surely hit the ground.
As you get older, some adjustment have to be made and my pickeroon is a big help in that direction.
When I purchased my HD rental, Walt the repair guy, questioned my using a chainsaw at MY AGE.
Yep, I got 15 runners and another dozen or so in parts and fix ups. I got a Skill chainsaw comming, no spark, we will give it a go.

Reminds me, have to get my son and grandson to get me more wood.
I split the last round yesterday, stringy cherry, nasty stuff to work.

FREDM, Oxford, CT

I might, got some other stuff in line that I *need* first. I can still climb and clamber around, as long as my back is working that day. Heck, I would try in-tree work if I could afford the gear.

Ya, hear ya on working smarter as ya get older, have to, especially at 118 lbs. I am 62 now. People around here think I am nuts. I know I am nuts...it's FUN!

Just doing my own personal wood, I wouldn't need to cut a thing over 4 inches diameter, and never run out around here..I just like running saws and splitting and stacking wood for the exercise and sport. don't hunt, play golf, nuthin like that, I do wood, small scale.. Not really interested in huge mass quantities at this time, takes too much scratch to go big time commercial, ain't got it. I would go 100% mechanized if I did, never touch a stick of wood with my hands.

Of course if any of us were really smarter, we'd have penthouse desk jobs (with multiple "executive assistants"...) paying over 250+k a year and just get wood delivered and stacked, if we wanted wood.

Hey Zogger:
At 62, you're just a kid, I've got almost 20 years on you and suffering the infermities that come with old age. Reminds me of my dear departed bud Stan.
He was looking for a bigger bench vice to hiold two wires that he was soldering because they jumped around in his 6"vice. At 94, you have to make some adjustments. He did see Halley's Comet twice, 76 years apart. His BD was 1 Jan 1900.
I don't do wood for sale, I have enough to do keeping my house warm. Last winter I had to call Billy the Logger for wood. Got it right off the processor at a good price, 3 cord/6 PU loads + 18 gal gas. That Chevy is a pig on mileage.

All the BS and bear fat aside, you gonna have to get a pickeroon sooner or later if you want to keep doing wood.

Hey Zogger:
At 62, you're just a kid, I've got almost 20 years on you and suffering the infermities that come with old age. Reminds me of my dear departed bud Stan.
He was looking for a bigger bench vice to hiold two wires that he was soldering because they jumped around in his 6"vice. At 94, you have to make some adjustments. He did see Halley's Comet twice, 76 years apart. His BD was 1 Jan 1900.
I don't do wood for sale, I have enough to do keeping my house warm. Last winter I had to call Billy the Logger for wood. Got it right off the processor at a good price, 3 cord/6 PU loads + 18 gal gas. That Chevy is a pig on mileage.

All the BS and bear fat aside, you gonna have to get a pickeroon sooner or later if you want to keep doing wood.

Most likely ya old phart! I'll try one sometime, just so far haven't needed one the way I do things. I do have a log lifter thing, got it at TSC, useful for some logs, some times. Have used it to manoeuver big rounds. Mostly now though, real big stuff I noodle to picking up size for me, right where it is cut. 50-75 lbs is roughly all I want to pick up anymore.

Actually,,if i get to old to do firewood for heat, I would rather switch to the swedish bikini team sandwhich method of keeping warm..

...need to sock away a few more coins for that ;)

I have to sit to split so I use a pickeroon to coax wood to me at the splitter. also like using it to pick up wood to load in the truck. I have a Dixie pickeroon and a homemade one using a replacement pick from a name brand pickeroon. love em both wish i had em earlier in life.

I use a large one for for moving rounds around, very handy when rolling them up to the hydraulic lift. I use a small one when stacking, I find them extremely useful.

Anyone use the one from pickaroon.com? It's made here in MN with American materials.

Hey Zogger:

Same here at 79+. I just hauled in my 8th (at least) cord for the year. Don't need it, can't sell but 4 cords of it (Willow). Have around 90 cords in the stash almost all Locust. Cutting/hauling/splitting/stacking is my 'keep fit program' Beats a gymn membership hands down!!

Harry K

I got one from local farm store, brother made a lump purchase of 4 of them as they were o n clearance. Ended up being about $12 each. They are not my favorite design......handle is too large for a great grip and I like ones with a wooden type axe handle best because it allows you to orient the direction of the point without needing to look at the end. Small details really and can't complain about the price.

These pics were supposed to be attached to the above post.
ymu2uze9.jpg
ydevurev.jpg

Good thread. Sounds like a winner to me, I have been thinking about getting one. Again, good info and glad I read this one.

I've looked at pickaroons in catalogs and always thought, now why would you need that? But I'm glad to see this thread. Like Zogger, I'm 62 and always looking to work smarter. No more circling the pickup or climbing in to get at those last few rounds, I'm ordering one now. My first thought was go to the shop and make one, but for $30 or thereabout that's little more than a meal in town.

I have a old garden rake a super heavy duty one I welded 7ft of half inch water pipe into with a pipe t on the handle end and have used it for 30 years unloading firewood. Works great.

"great" is relative. Your rake is better than none at all but only by a bit. I too tried the rake, etc. route. First use of a real pickeroon showed me what a poor substitute a rake is. 90% of the effectiveness of one is that point that can (and does easily) spear a chunk so it can be dragged or even "tossed" if small enough. A rake or hoe has to hook behind a chunk and drag or fight it to get to roll. "tossing" i's how I unload all those small 'no-split' chunks in the bed, climb up, spear, flick and it lands behind me on the ground. No bending over to pick them up.
My homemade one

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

Harry K

After many years of firewood cutting/splitting, I bought one this spring! I use it for unloading, pulling rounds from poison ivy and dragging big rounds to the splitter. Great tool! However use caution when stabbing wood, if it doesn't stick in the wood it can get you in the foot/leg!image.jpg

Latest posts

Back