Anyone using these borazon wheels?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the thinner wheel for my 346 last night and got a dressing wheel with it this time. I haven't used the other one again for fear of messing it up since I can't clean it. I haven't been cutting much anyway so no biggie. I've been splitting and stacking. I don't enjoy that nearly as much as cutting.

Ian

I dont think you'll have to worry about messing it up for a while. I used the 1/8 last night on the 346 chain and it worked pretty good today. I didnt notice any build up at all. I washed the chain in cleaning solvent then sprayed carb cleaner on it then compressed air. I was worried about it being too course but the chain seemed to cut fine. I do think i'm gonna tilt the grinder angle to 55 degrees instead of the 60 i've been using. (guess this is ok?)

What's your reason for changing the angle?

Ian

Well,this it the NT grinder and I doubt that they are all marked exactly. I noticed when sharpening the chain that i had to take a little more off to get it to touch the cutter all the way. Don't get me wrong,it cut nice after grinding. I just want to see what happens with a little more angle. (Hoping for a little more aggressive chain.)

I'm the worlds greatest procrastinator -- in fact I'm the president of the world chapter -- the membership was going to vote me out of the position but they keep putting it off.

Gonna order today. Since the consensus is that they cut just fine (worried about them being too coarse) I'll take the leap. The price is right too.

Later,

:cheers: :cheers:

I might have already posted this, but they're 60 grit and the ones that Bailey's sells are 80.. Course but not that much of a difference. I wonder what the grind would look like if they were 120.

Ian

I might have already posted this, but they're 60 grit and the ones that Bailey's sells are 80.. Course but not that much of a difference. I wonder what the grind would look like if they were 120.

Ian

I dont know but I'll bet they stay cleaner the courser they are. I really dont think the 60 is too bad.

I bought 2 CBN wheels from Foley Belsaw for $75.00each on sale this past summer. They also sold the 1x1x6 dressing stick at about $2.00 as a bonus, if I remember correctly. I use them on a Maxx grinder. While I'm a novice at the sharpening thing, I love em. Kinda idiot proof in regards to keeping in the proper contour. Anything idiot proof is good, I need all the help I can get!!

Ian

I don't know about those, but a conventional stone would tend to cut a bit hotter at 120 grit, and probably would not be ideal for this application. With many grinding surfaces, how it is dressed has alot of effect on effective grit. For example an 80 grit aluminum oxide dry wheel can be dressed to act like an 80 grit clear to well over an 100 grit. In fact some wheels like the Tormek slow wet grinder use that as part of their system. Two different dressing stones to choose the stones "working" grit.

I bought 2 CBN wheels from Foley Belsaw for $75.00each on sale this past summer. They also sold the 1x1x6 dressing stick at about $2.00 as a bonus, if I remember correctly. I use them on a Maxx grinder. While I'm a novice at the sharpening thing, I love em. Kinda idiot proof in regards to keeping in the proper contour. Anything idiot proof is good, I need all the help I can get!!

That's one thing I really like about square grinders (with built in multi diamond dressers of course). The desired shape of the dressed wheel is clear. With my 510 (round grinder) the built in dressing stone seems ineffective, and the optimum shape the wheel should be dressed to is not clear (to me anyway).

Mind you I've never even seen one, but other than being a little finer grit and lighter since they have those cutouts, I don't imagine there's much practical difference. Depending on how the grit is attached to the wheel, there might be a longevity difference but only time will tell that tale. It would have to last more than twice as long to make up the difference in price and at the rate I sharpen chains, the cheap one should last for years and years if I take care of it.

Ian

If foley has the dressing sticks for 2.89, thats the deal. With postage up to what it is, and with the postoffice $1.09 packaging, I would have lost $.50 on each $8.00 for ine Norton dressing stone. Sorry I couldn't help.

Rob

If foley has the dressing sticks for 2.89, thats the deal. With postage up to what it is, and with the postoffice $1.09 packaging, I would have lost $.50 on each $8.00 for ine Norton dressing stone. Sorry I couldn't help.

Rob

Its ok Rob........thanks for trying.

I just got my order in and the stick looks course, granular, and black just like the one I have from Bailey's for my regular wheels. I called them up just to confirm that it was the right one, and they said that it was NOT the correct stick for cleaning CBN wheels. The lady said that the tech guy was gone for the day but she was under the impression that they used the same cleaning stick as the diamond wheels. They are sending the correct one out to me for free but it isn't 1x1x6 like the other one is, it's apparently smaller. How much smaller I don't know.

If you ordered their aluminum oxide stick, don't use it on your wheels.

Ian

Last edited:
I just got my order in and the stick looks course, granular, and black just like the one I have from Bailey's for my regular wheels. I called them up just to confirm that it was the right one, and they said that it was NOT the correct stick for cleaning CBN wheels. The lady said that the tech guy was gone for the day but she was under the impression that they used the same cleaning stick as the diamond wheels. They are sending the correct one out to me for free but it isn't 1x1x6 like the other one is, it's apparently smaller. How much smaller I don't know.

If you ordered their aluminum oxide stick, don't use it on your wheels.

Ian[/QUOTE

The one I got with my cbn wheels is about 3/4 by 4 or so. White and very fine grit.

I've sharpened 10 or 12 chains for our tree service guy using the 3/16 cbn wheel, Some of the chains are veeerrry long. havent got any build up yet.

Latest posts

Back