Anyone willing to hook one of these to your chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I like keeping my firewood the same length. This is a fairly new product and so I ordered it today to see how it might help:
FirewoodMeasuringDevice.jpg

Sure wouldn't want that to come adrift or snag on stuff in the heat of battle. I'll be curious to see how it holds up for you.

I won't pay the price premium for stihl chain at a dealer. Oregon & Woodland Pro work fine, thanks, from Bailey's.

No not likely, I'm old and bought a box of blue lumber crayons years ago. Will last a life time if you don't give them all to friends :p

I used to use the bar, lumber crayons, spray paint... it all was ungodly slow. I am bucking off 40' logs hanging from excavator bucket/thumb, though, so we like to keep things moving quickly. The human eye is an amazing thing, though, and after a few logs I can estimate within an inch all day long.

I like keeping my firewood the same length. This is a fairly new product and so I ordered it today to see how it might help:
FirewoodMeasuringDevice.jpg

Looks like somebody dragged a giant **** magnet through a chineese hardware store, and bolted all the crap that stuck, to a formerly usefull saw.

Seriously. If you need Grandmas friggin walker bolted to your saw, in order to make a consistent cut, you quite possibly need to shy away from pointy objects in the first place.

If an engineer was tasked with designing an aparatus, that would reliably snag every damn green brier vine, sapling, bramble, and stray cat within 20', causing the bar to deflect into flesh or brains....it would look just like that abortion in the picture above, or possibly a little less complex.:eek:

Here's a way to save some $$, your back, fingers, toes, lips, and nether regions.

Go to the hardware store. Find the hard of hearing old geezer, that wanders around looking to help people, by telling them what they need isn't in stock.
Ask the geezer for 36" of 1/4" Nylon cord.

Cost will be around 50 cents to a dollar.

Then grab half a dozen 1/2" washers, while the geezer tells you about how you're gonna need lock washers or you'll end up like cousin Earl.
Figure two bucks.

Then drive to the dollar store and head to the aisle where they keep the school supplies.
Find the Chalk and select a color. Blue, red, Pink, purple...whatever.
Chalk is expensive these days. 2 bucks a box in some places...ridiculous I know, but it's chalk.

Now this is the hard part.

Use a tape measure, and mark the cord at the length you commonly cut.
Then thread a washer to that point and tie a big assed granny knot, so the washer stays there.
Do the same thing for the next longest length.

When you are in the woods or car port, and need to buck to stove length, take the cord and Chalk out of your pocket and holding the chalk and proper washer in one hand, and the proper end of the cord in the other, then mark the log. When done, wad up the cord and place back into your pocket.

5 bucks, with darn near a lifetime supply of replacement markers...and it wont cause the saw to pluck your eyeballs out when it gets snagged, walking in the woodlot.;)

There be enough things to git tangled up on /in when um out wood hookin with out one of the flaming conbloodytraptions addin to me woes yeah
Um just not thet fussy n me fire box don't complain if the woods a tad short '
ITS never long
Huuuummmmmmm but nice job on the invent though looks good and no doubt some folks will find it handy
keep up the good work we need clever folks inventin stuff ay

Looks like somebody dragged a giant **** magnet through a chineese hardware store, and bolted all the crap that stuck, to a formerly usefull saw.

Seriously. If you need Grandmas friggin walker bolted to your saw, in order to make a consistent cut, you quite possibly need to shy away from pointy objects in the first place.

If an engineer was tasked with designing an aparatus, that would reliably snag every damn green brier vine, sapling, bramble, and stray cat within 20', causing the bar to deflect into flesh or brains....it would look just like that abortion in the picture above, or possibly a little less complex.:eek:

Here's a way to save some $$, your back, fingers, toes, lips, and nether regions.

Go to the hardware store. Find the hard of hearing old geezer, that wanders around looking to help people, by telling them what they need isn't in stock.
Ask the geezer for 36" of 1/4" Nylon cord.

Cost will be around 50 cents to a dollar.

Then grab half a dozen 1/2" washers, while the geezer tells you about how you're gonna need lock washers or you'll end up like cousin Earl.
Figure two bucks.

Then drive to the dollar store and head to the aisle where they keep the school supplies.
Find the Chalk and select a color. Blue, red, Pink, purple...whatever.
Chalk is expensive these days. 2 bucks a box in some places...ridiculous I know, but it's chalk.

Now this is the hard part.

Use a tape measure, and mark the cord at the length you commonly cut.
Then thread a washer to that point and tie a big assed granny knot, so the washer stays there.
Do the same thing for the next longest length.

When you are in the woods or car port, and need to buck to stove length, take the cord and Chalk out of your pocket and holding the chalk and proper washer in one hand, and the proper end of the cord in the other, then mark the log. When done, wad up the cord and place back into your pocket.

5 bucks, with darn near a lifetime supply of replacement markers...and it wont cause the saw to pluck your eyeballs out when it gets snagged, walking in the woodlot.;)

I think you need to illustrate your description with pictures... in a colorful way.

Stihl do a laser that clips to the handle, gives felling angles and log lengths, saw it on YouTube, never tried one

I use a stick, was actually an old fence dropper that is the right length.

It came along when I wanted a sample of a perfect sized bit of firewood and since stays in with some big kids chalk sticks I pinched off my son.

Takes a couple of minutes to mark a couple of logs but that's slow down breatha time.

If you like it and you find it helpful, stick with it. I used to use the bar when I got started.
I was cutting 100 plus cords a year, by the end of the first year I could eye it almost perfect.
Doing it for production work is way different then home work.

I have seen lots of unique methods for measuring the wood over the years. One of the simplest was where they simply tacked 2 nuts together which had a length of fiberglass fence post cut to desired length of round in one end & with a couple of twists the other end screwed on the bar retaining stud. Simple & quick to attach/remove. Easy to carry with when not in use.

Latest posts

Back