Anything is possible with a Stihl-even a small one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I mill with an 028 which someone said would be saw abuse. I have replaced most everything on it fuel filter, drive sprocket to rim drive, rebuilt carb, 20" bar and chain. I had a day off from work and kids and wife so I spent it milling a pin oak.

This pin oak maxed the bar even with 4 inches of the edge cut off. It is straight with no knots or imperfections. The saw was about 2 inches short of cutting all the way through so after cutting the length I ran the saw down the other side to complete the cut. That is why I modeled my mill after the granberg small log mill.

I started slabbing like I have in the past. After a weekend trying to flatten a wide board with nothing but a thickness planer (I built a support sled that was too heavy for the planer to feed) and failing miserably I decided to attempt quarter sawing. Most of the time this is wasteful but in this case it is efficient and conservative of the wood. Previous wide slab cuts resulted in wavy and warped boards that will have to be used short or burned.

The saw cuts much smoother in the narrow board and after elevating one end the saw will pull itself through the cut at nearly wide open throttle. I hope the pictures show how smooth the cut is. (This may be old hat for the big saw boys but a proud day for my small saw) The 8 inch wide sections took about 15 minutes, sharpened every other slab, and refueled every 1-1/2 slab.

With all the repairs the saw cuts really well. The pictures represent a 6 hour day including lunch, drink, and breaks. The lumber will be used for a Morris chair and Greene and Greene bed once all is dry. Needless to say, all my future milling will be quarter-sawn. It is easier and goes with the Arts & Crafts style I favor.

Drone over.

Very good... yes you can mill with a small saw, it just takes a lot more patience than I have. Your profile says woodworker as I am also... any specific plans for those oak boards? They should be ready for your shop in April-May.

Nice Job! Great saw,i have one.That oak should make nice durable furniture.:clap: Mark

Very nice boards... very smooth cutting... that takes particular patience with such a small saw. Give that log a second life as a piece of furniture for its next 100 years...

Your profile says woodworker as I am also... any specific plans for those oak boards?

These boards are destined to be a bed I promised my son back in March when we first started milling. I hope to make a Greene and Greene. I don't have many actual projects in mind, but like probably a few people here I started milling solely for stock that i don't have to pay a fortune for.

An 028? wow! I give you this, you know how to sharpen a chain if you are milling oak with a small saw. Awesome:clap:

RD

These boards are destined to be a bed I promised my son back in March when we first started milling. I hope to make a Greene and Greene. I don't have many actual projects in mind, but like probably a few people here I started milling solely for stock that i don't have to pay a fortune for.

Almost ALL of the wood I mill has no specific project, but it feeds my growing "wood bank" that feeds my shop. In the last few years, I have been milling thicknesses geared towards certain things I make in the shop to sell at shows. I use quite a bit of 1 1/8 stock, so I've been milling a lot of 6/4 (actually I mill it 1 3/8), which dries and shrinks down to 5/4, which after S4S is a true 1 1/8 inch thick.

An 028? wow! I give you this, you know how to sharpen a chain if you are milling oak with a small saw.

Not really. I just throw the dremel at it and hit the rakers(i think they're called) once in a while. Reground to about 7-10° give or take. I started at 5 but have not been very disciplined with it.

Woodshop said:
In the last few years, I have been milling thicknesses geared towards certain things I make in the shop to sell at shows.

Whats your specific niche? I haven't found one yet. I take most pleasure just building shop tools that make working better. I hope to make some furniture that people actually use.

...Whats your specific niche? I haven't found one yet. I take most pleasure just building shop tools that make working better. I hope to make some furniture that people actually use.
Since I still will have this day job for probably at least 3 more years, I don't have an etched in stone niche either yet. I make small gift items that the ladies seem to love at craft shows, like this cracker holder most here have seen umpteen times...
crackerbig.jpg

In my fall shows last 3 years I've been selling $4-500 bucks worth of these little things per show, so I keep making them. This is the item I was talking about that needs S4S 1 1/8 stock of which I have not enough of at the moment. I have several thousand bd ft of 1 inch rough oak I can plane down to standard 3/4 stock for things like this little side table...
shaker1.jpg

But that doesn't help me when I want the slightly thicker stock, so I'm scrounging and when I mill I'm making a lot of thicker stuff for next years shows.

So to answer your question, I don't have a niche yet, and that's OK for now. I'm still "playing" so to speak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back