anything u do to clean up a dirty chain?? "clean" not sharpen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee - all I did was ask a simple question I was just cleaning up the saw and looked at the chain and thought about cleaning it up before puttin the saw up..

ps: it is salvage wood cutting - no clean standing trees ! I don't cut standing trees right now!

Simple answers: :jawdrop: :buttkick: :dizzy: :monkey: :cry: :confused:

Clean it up, if you have the time and, it makes you feel better [ insert a warm & fuzzy icon here] about it!

I would be more concerned about keeping the bar groove cleanned out when running in these or any other conditions. :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Are you a "newer and occasional user" ?

I've cleaned several of my chains in our "Safety Clean" varasol vat at work that had enough dirt on them, that caused the strainer to clog up, and begin filling up the upper basin. Is that enough dirt & junk?
[but, ususally cutting cleaner wood]

Running them out of the cut didn't come close to cleaning them off.

Our company makes lots of revenue from owners that poorly maintain their
saws & chains. All in all, guess I'm glad.....

How much of that what clogged the strainer was junk (resins, sap, etc.) that have no effect on the wear of the chain and how much was honest to goodness dirt? Keep in mind that you said that is cutting clean wood. Now, of the dirt that came off the chain, how much of that was in areas of wear for the chain? I guess you are making a lot of revenue if you are cleaning all the saw chains that come into the shop.

Personally, I never clean chains and they last till the cutters are just a triangle. I do, however, clean out the bar grooves on a fairly regular basis to minimize wear in that area.

sorry for the dumb question, but what is this Gary Goo i keep hearing about?
read it in more than a couple of threads now.

sorry for the dumb question, but what is this Gary Goo i keep hearing about?
read it in more than a couple of threads now.

There is a 'sticky' at the top that may shed a little light. :chainsaw:

A dance, is this anything like the scene from 'Paint Your Wagon' that has the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band a playin, I can just picture Gary & Wind a prancing thru the Gary Goo! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Might have to rent this movie again :clap: just to rename a few posters here. :greenchainsaw:

I don't see a problem with people cleaning their chains as peace of mind can be an important thing. I could also see the benefit of a properly cleaned and oiled chain when people store their saws, not everybody here is a full time cutter. I don't clean my chain as it is a nice way to see if I missed a tooth when I am sharpening my chain.

I think I will follow diesel&coffee's signature and use the Bushmills to clean my chain should I feel so inclined because that crap is like drinking chain cleaner.

I Like to put a tablespoon of pine sol in the saw with the bar oil to give it that fresh scent while cutting.

SS, I've never heard of anything so non-practical. pine sol scent gets smothered when cutting pine. A tablespoon of lavender oil will have a much better effect

With the lavender oil it's also better to wear a loose fitting blouse with a floral color scheme to match the fragrance. But husqvarna owners know all this anyway..

Here ya go...you're anal retentive about clean?...well...clean your carburetor, clean your air filter, clean that entire area real good, take your starter cover off, clean your flywheel, clean that gunk from around your coil, clean any foreign material off your cylinder that may impede heat transfer, clean the carbon out of your muffler, clean your bar rails...dress your bar while you're at it, grease your nose sprocket, drain both tanks and flush 'em out good with premix, clean your fuel filter...and now, since you've done everything that may actually matter...feel free to give that chain a good cleaning as well...

I got tired by the time I got to the end of this topic. Clean, dirty, smelly, this, that and the other thing. Never cleaned a chain in my weekend warrior wood hunting trips and never will. Over 20 years and counting. Keep the machine as dry as possible, use the air compressor safely after every outing and keep the saw generally tuned (oiler in particular for this thread) and enjoy cutting. Enough said
:greenchainsaw:

Point is, removing any oil while cleaning has zero negative effect, if resoaked prior to using. This ain't tough.

Thin solvents will easily penetrate where thicker bar and chain oil will have trouble reaching. Oven cleaners need a water rinse to remove the caustic, then the moisture has to be removed to prevent rusting. WD-40 might be OK for this.

STIHL , the MANUFACTUROR, itself, whom many love & some hate, states clearly....when/before doing "Saw Chain Maintenance" ... #1 Item -- "Clean The Chain"

Most manufacturers' sharpening instructions will also tell you to clean the chain before and after filing or grinding to prevent grit and grinding dust from abrading links, bars, sprockets, etc. The big quibble seems to be defining 'how clean is clean', and options for achieving this.

Big difference between 'running it through a few green rounds' and detailing it for a collector's display.

Philbert

Ultrasonic Cleaner

I bought a small used chainsaw and the chain felt kind of gritty. I filed it sharp and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner with a 1 to 10 mix of simple green and water. I removed and rinsed it, air dried it and soaked it in oil before installation and cleaned the bar. Seemed to work well. Certainly this would not remove rust had there been any.

Latest posts

Back