apf,show uk ,,,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone see the bird selling the books at the apf near the entrance.
she had some tree disease dignosis software. im wishing i bought it now.
does anyone know the name of her company or where i can get the software?
also would it run on a pda

Steve,Did you get a show programe?,if so have a look at the site map & it should tell you which company was around that area & also might give details of products etc.
I hope this helps.

thanks teresa

i think i have still got the program ross.
hows the babe doing

nod had the little fluffy ears sticking out his helmet if that helps.
i saw a guy doing the footlocking at the forum that wasn't nod, maybe the same guy

wow

Hi Fellas

That's an amazing amount of ranting to pack into one day! I'm sure we could all blag on about how the industry has become watered down because of NPTC/LANTRA & the government policy that, arses on college seats is more important than a realistic employment policy to reduce the dole queues. But that would be far too easy.

If you've grown up with the ideal that we should still have apprenticeships, & that the arb world is a worst place for not having them, then be positive about that. Encourage the policy makers to the benefits to our industry of taking that course of action as opposed to the certificate route. Stick to that approach within your own individual set up & tell other skilled climbers to take same approach. Act locally & the rest will sort itself out.

Gucci equipment, that's a great name for it but I'll never agree that it's over priced & pointless. Like you fellas I've also been climbing for a few years & I am a more efficient climber now than I've ever been. There's two reasons for that, (i) a few years under the belt & (ii) the equipment & techniques I use to do the job.

Rock on Gucci
Nod

Hi Blue

Not ignoring the question. Possibly, but that would depend on which day & at what time. My memory of time on those 3 days was approximately,'$hit, is that what time it is!' And that was only because it had gone so rapidly.

I presume that you need to put a face to the words that you occasionally read here?

Cheers
Nod

pants?

I seen the demos at the tree climbing forum, also saw a lot of interested people watching who probably have never climbed a tree, i've heard all the rantings of the old school too, ponytailed half hippy, who turn up in the old land rover, old harness,tatty ropes, biners etc.....get into the real world,and stop knocking all the shiny gear, its new equipment, new methods, new clothing, and most importantly you must remember these guys who do the demos have probably been allocated 2 trees for 3 days demo, let alone a site to accomodate a crane to do removals, iv'e also climbed for 20 years but still want the gucci..........

all this gucii talk has got got me thinking.every one list thier climbing kit and how often it's used.
here's mine
throw line and bag,once or twice a week
rope,every day
split tail,depends on tree
vt and micro pulley,as above
pantin,most tree's over 40'
grillon with 5m strop,every day
kong ascenders,once or twice a week

thats about it i think,what about everyone else?

Blue,what no harness,
This is my kit,
Cresto Skybelt with 2 sliding D`s
45m NE rope
37m Yale XTC
Split tails,prussik loops
3m Hi viz topping strop
2m lanyard with VT & micro pulley
Lock jack
Ropeguide
Cambium saver
Bashlin Alloy climbers
petzel ascender
various karabiners
saw strop
Silky
felco No.2 secaturs
petzl rescue knife

It depends what jobs we have as some times we will have takedowns,fells & reductions or just plain hedges.This is due to me working in powerline clearance.

Last edited:
3x new england hi vis ropes ,with vt,blakes,
topping strop wire
komet evo harness.
skybelt harness.
7x 3 way biners
cambium saver,
petzl pulleys x 3
petzl rope grip,
various lengths of rope for different size trees,
buckingham spikes
2x ms 200
2x silky gomtaros,300mm,
50 m pulling rope,
50 m lowering rope
various slings and strops,
i dont carry anything to site that wont be used ,do you use a lockjack for line clearance work ?

Sorry Blue that wasn't me climbing at that point.

In fact the only climbing I did on the saturday was a little training for a guy from Kyrgistan (on the western Tibetan border). He's been climbing walnut trees in his homeland for over 20 years & had never seen a rope & harness before. It was translated to me that approx. 12 people die every year poking walnuts from the trees there. They apparently shimmy out on the limbs, then shake & poke the merry heck out of them until the head honcho says , 'That's enough for that limb.' And on they go day after day!

Makes me think that my very long list of equipment is worth every hard earned penny of it! Aaa?

Nod

willans t23 full harness [i love it dont laugh]
45 meter marlow arb rope
20 karibeners various sizes makes etc
4 maillon rapides..triangle and half moon shape
petzel left handed acender
wire flip line with built in locking/shunt gizmo
3 prusiks
3 small strops 1 large adjustable
figure of 8 decender
big blue lowering block
16 mill yale lowering rope