arborist saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ggg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a top handle arborist saw. Not necessarily new. Any suggestions?
I tend to modify everything that has an engine.
I have done a search but not a lot of info. Probably due to the small engines, and not a big high performance market.
Thanks for any info.

Look for a Stihl 020 or 015 for cheap used saws. Unless you really want to be in the deep end, stay away from unknown 020T and MS200T, and definitely the 019T...

The MS192T at about $300 new is a nice saw. There's a couple of Husky and Echo top-handled saws but I don't know enough about them to speak intelligently...

Lakeside53, Do you care to elaborate on why to avoid the three you mentioned? Just curious.

Same ? here, why avoid 020t or 200t... I am going to but a new top handle here real soon and am going 338 or 200 just can't decide which yet.

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
Same ? here, why avoid 020t or 200t... I am going to but a new top handle here real soon and am going 338 or 200 just can't decide which yet.

Rotax

I might have read more into the original post than was there... I though the writer was going to fix one up but now I see he will likely mod one, but the same applies.

Great saws, but expensive to fix (in a shop) and unless you have some experience with them, difficult to diagnose and repair. If you can find one in good condition and running fine, or have access to someone that works on them, then go for it by all means. I have a 200t and love it. There are a LOT of "1000hr" plus 20T and 200T out there.. and I'd stay away from them unless you know the owner.

The 019T is a nightmare to work on... but again, they sell cheap and if you can get one that runs well...

As for mods on a 20T or 200T, these saws are pretty much maxed out by the factory, and apart from the spark arrester there isn't much to do.

Thanks for all the info.
Lakeside thanks for explaining. Man these saws are not cheap, roughly double the price compared to a similar sized saw with a conventional handle.
Does anybody know about the Husky saws?
I have been told there is a CA version of the 338xpt which has a bigger engine then the rest of the 49 state saws. I have also noticed the Husky saws tend to have a slightly larger/more horse power engine. At least as far as the top handle saws go.
Trying to do a lot of limb cutting with my 395xp is getting old. I'm going to end up with forearms like Popeye.

Ggg,

I have a couple 335 Cali saws... Better than the 338 Cali.... reliable, most old problems fixed, except cheesy plug cover. But, while the hp rating may be higher than a 200T, don't believe it. I've never run a 200T with the muffler screen installed, but with it out, it will normally easily beat a 335/8. (Due to design, screen removal on a 200T results in more gain than screen removal on other saws.) However, add a 9/16 id port to the 338 and it will now beat that screenless 200T by just a bit.

The 45 Cali's are detuned saws relative to the 38 cc 338's, same size ports and carb, and sound anemic when run, till the muffler is opened. don't be fooled by the added engine size. They are nice and torquey though. As well, there's no benefit from doing engine mods to the Huskys due to engine design. Conversely a 200T can be made into a real screamer, but I wouldnt do it, they're fast enough stock. Sometime I'll get around to porting my 200T muffler though.

Lakeside53 said:
As for mods on a 20T or 200T, these saws are pretty much maxed out by the factory, and apart from the spark arrester there isn't much to do.

Not true, Andy. Ken Dunn and Ed Heard have both fully woods modded 200T's. The gains were huge. Cut time reductions of well over 50%!

I don't want one though, too much $ tied up in a saw, and more power than is needed for a small saw.

rbtree said:
Not true, Andy. Ken Dunn and Ed Heard have both fully woods modded 200T's. The gains were huge. Cut time reductions of well over 50%!

I don't want one though, too much $ tied up in a saw, and more power than is needed for a small saw.

heck, a sharp chain will give you that!!! :)

i agree with lakeside. i always take into consideration ,whether or not a particular saw was a favorite of the pros. if it was ,why did they get rid of it..
i do like the 20t tho.

Robert, here's closeups of the Husky muffler mods....that I promised ya, from this old thread.

Posts 25-27...... http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=11291

In more recent tests, the PP 338 has cut better, just a tad slower than the 335 Cali. But the fastest of all my little saws is still the old 335 that I got from Rich Horffman for $25--it came in pieces.... I put the dual port muffler on, put it all together, and it still runs like a bat out of hel l and starts easily and idles perfectly. It usually beats the 200T by 10-15%.

Well I came across a 335xpt I liked a lot. I think I will make an offer in the AM.
rbtree where did you get the dual port muffler for your 335, and what part number is it? Thanks.

I have seen quite e few Stihl 009L saws for sale. I have been doing a lot of searching and listening but I have not heard much about the 009L. Is it along the lines of the 191/192 (difficult to work on), or the 020/200t series (easier to work on and seem to be the preferred models). Some 009L are the usual Stihl colors grey/black and some are orange/black. What is the reason for the color differences. Thanks

The 009 is basically a homeowner style trim saw, not a pro arborist's saw. I haven't worked on any, so I can't say how they are to work on, but the differing colours is mostly age. They were produced for many years, and the colour changed a few times. I believe th newer ones are all white, while the older ones were in the orange and other colours.

If you want the saw for professional use, buy the 020T/200T in a Stihl tophandle climbing saw. They don't make an equal to that saw, although some do favour the Husky, or even Echo climbing saws, but that is often factoring price as well as performance together. The 192T is supposed to be a decent saw too, but it isn't going to replace a 200T in the hands of a climber who uses it every day. The 019T/191T were the ones everyone hated to run and work on.

Just out of curiosity is the 335xpt a pro or homeowner saw? I will assume it is a pro since it is a xp series.

Latest posts

Back