ArborPro narrow kerf .325" x .50 bar, made in Taiwan...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently put an order in at Baileys, this is my first experience with them.

I ordered a clutch tool, rim for a clutch drum, a bar/chain combo, and some extra chain.

First disappointment, the clutch tool and rim are backordered, wouldn't you know the most important pieces of the package, I need to change the saw over to use .325" pitch, or non of the pieces are any use to me.

Ok, I can live with that...

But then I got the bar and chain today, and the bar has a sticker on it, "Made in Taiwan". I don't know about you, but that kinda sours my stomach...

attachment.php

This is not to whine either, I'm ok keeping the Taiwan bar, but the web page said nothing about that. I sent a reply to customer service to make a note of that. I'm trying to buy American products where I can to help our own country. Taiwan doesn't bother me as much as CHINA, but I see nothing wrong with trying to buy products made in my own country.

At least the chain is made in America...

Hey, I know...my saws are made in Sweden...just that Taiwan puts a chill down my spine...:cry: But not as much as CHINA...:clap:

That bar has kind of a bad reputation for being too "soft" - nothing like the Husky (made in Norway) and Oregon (made in Canada) NK bars - if my memory serves.....

Last edited:
Those bars are very inexpensive. The far east is where inexpensive stuff comes from.

I have an 16" ArborPro on my 44 and have no complaints as of yet -- especially none about the price.

:givebeer:

The cheaper line of Carlton bars are also Taiwanese.
I replaced a burnt out .404" nose sprocket recently and the quality of the Taiwanese replacement (bearings, finish etc) was surprising. I don't like buying dodgey Asian gear either (except Japanese), in fact I HATE it, but sometimes its the only place you can get some bits and pieces from.

Most of Bailey's products are imported goods of dubious quality. I would suspect that your clutch tool and drum will be Taiwanese or Chinese when you receive them, as well. Did you expect to get a bar made in the U.S. that is somehow less than half the price of a quality American or Canadian or Australian bar? If such an item existed, we would all be running them.

Most of Bailey's products are imported goods of dubious quality. I would suspect that your clutch tool and drum will be Taiwanese or Chinese when you receive them, as well. Did you expect to get a bar made in the U.S. that is somehow less than half the price of a quality American or Canadian or Australian bar? If such an item existed, we would all be running them.
No, not at all, had I been able to find a better bar that was .325" narrow kerf, I would have bought it. As it was I spent over $100 with Baily, so the bar was not a very big concern.

I just couldn't find a narrow kerf bar on their site the other nite, maybe an oversight on my part.

I didn't order a drum, I ordered the rim only, I have an oregon drum that will take a new rim that was backordered anyway...

I don't mind paying more to buy made in America, that was my point.

Any other dealers that stock American products, anybody know? I don't care if they are more, I want to buy products made in America.

No, not at all, had I been able to find a better bar that was .325" narrow kerf, I would have bought it. As it was I spent over $100 with Baily, so the bar was not a very big concern.

I just couldn't find a narrow kerf bar on their site the other nite, maybe an oversight on my part.

I didn't order a drum, I ordered the rim only, I have an oregon drum that will take a new rim that was backordered anyway...

I don't mind paying more to buy made in America, that was my point.

Any other dealers that stock American products, anybody know? I don't care if they are more, I want to buy products made in America.

Hard to buy anything made in U.S. anymore. Why do you think the economy is so :censored: that it will never get any better. Bail out banks and other countries that is all they do. Til they pizz off the wrong leader and we won't have worry about bailing out anybody.:censored:

What is all the belly aching about cheap bars! Its a cheap bar the price is low and they do work fine. You get what you pay for, or better in my opinion with Bailey products! I use a lot of baileys stuff chains,bars , tool, rings etc and have had no problem with anything I have gotten from them.
I you want the best then youll have to pay for it , If you want a good price and have a lot of diff bars and chains etc the baileys stuff is great. I also use their chain and its way cheaper than I can get chain here and just as good!

Last edited:
the reason i buy everything from my local dealer even if i do pay a little more is even if most along the food chain eat rice my dealer gets to eat also.
and sometimes i even get something american made,or canuck anyway..
the swedes and germans can have thier cut also if they deserve it.

That bar has kind of a bad reputation for being too "soft" - nothing like the Husky (made in Norway) and Oregon (made in Canada) NK bars - if my memory serves.....
I'll have to see if I can get one locally. I have one Husky bar for reg. kerf and will use it for some stuff, but the narrow kerf is what I really want to use. A noticable difference when you look at the chain visually, sighting down the bar edge.

Anywhere online to buy those? Bailey's doesn't seem to carry them.

I'll have to see if I can get one locally. I have one Husky bar for reg. kerf and will use it for some stuff, but the narrow kerf is what I really want to use. A noticable difference when you look at the chain visually, sighting down the bar edge.

Anywhere online to buy those? Bailey's doesn't seem to carry them.

You can't get chisel chain in NK, only semi-chisel - that makes a big difference for some applications! :)

You can't get chisel chain in NK, only semi-chisel - that makes a big difference for some applications! :)
Yes, this is correct. I have both types to see what works best for me. I'm hoping the narrow kerf will work fine, but I won't be able to try that until I get the rest of the parts (clutch tool, rim, etc...).
Cheers,
TT

Last edited:
I have one of those bars and chains. They are just fine. every bit as good as OEM. Very happy with equipment and even more pleased with Bailey's. Anytime I can I will order bulk with them.
ZG

I just found an Oregon bar that will accept narrow kerf on Bailey's, it's called the Micro-Lite. My bad I 'spose, didn't look close enough. But honestly, I didn't realize the ArborPro was made in Taiwan, I still think Bailey's should add that on their web site.

At one time,all product descriptions in catalogs had the word "Imported" in the write-up somewhere(usually at the end) if the product was not made in the U.S.A.I guess it is not required anymore,I think they need to bring it back,"Country of Origin" is an item of interest to me at least.

TT,

If it helps even a wee bit, the folks in Taiwan HATE the Chineese even more than you and I ever could, and proudly stand as an ally.

Stuff made in Taiwan used to be junk, but they have caught up quite well on the quality of most things.

Agreed on the Country of origin statement in catalogs, and in stores.
I hate buying something like an Aussie grill and finding out that it was made by Chineese slave labor instead of some Aussie LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

and sometimes i even get something american made,or canuck anyway..
the swedes and germans can have thier cut also if they deserve it.

Don't forget the Aussies :)
The way we're looking though mate you'll order an Aussie brand and it'll come via China anyway. We're in the same boat here - you want something Australian made but you can't find it anymore. I feel there is one massive backlash coming as tempers Australia wide are starting to heat up and attitudes towards dodgey imports are changing. People will search far and wide and pay more to get locally made gear.
If it makes you feel better in the last couple of years I've ordered over USD$20,000 worth of gear from the US when our exchange rate was more appealing.

Back