Are Huskies Knuckle skinners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My CS experience and use in the last few years has for no particular reason mainly involved Stihls, and apart from one occasion no Huskys.

This month I have spent about 9 days mainly using 3 Huskies (3120, 385 and a 345?) and a Stihl 290. Every time I started one of the Huskys, especially the 385 I'd lose a bit of skin off my starting hand knuckles. In the end I either had to wear gloves or I'd involuntarily reach for the little Stihl. It appears the Husky starters are to close to the rest of the saw for my starting styles (usually holding saw between legs). Anyone else experience something like this?

Last edited:
No, but I don't start them that way any more, for other reasons.

100% dropstart by now, as I have to pull with the left hand.

Ahhh…No. Perhaps you burly Australian types have larger knuckles than us spindly Yankees. Must be your method of starting. Usually when starting a saw, you pull the rope out slowly till you feel some compression and then give it a rip. The starter handle is usually well clear of the powerhead.

I had that same problem only it was a Stihl MS660 that would take chunks out of my knuckles. :censored: Knuckles kept catching the air filter cover. Damn I hated that when it happened. I learned to wear gloves when starting it. Never have that problem with my XP Huskys.

Chain saw is built for cutting, ANYTHING including knuckles. Chain is sharp, spike or dawgs are sharp, appears the housing is sharp. Keep your attention on what you are doing at all times when working with your saw and it won't hurt you any more. Change is always good! Early morning broadcast here, didn't have my coffee yet. :chainsaw:

No, but I don't start them that way any more, for other reasons.

100% dropstart by now, as I have to pull with the left hand.

Bad Troll, drop start is not recommended in my old Stihl 048 users manual for safety reasons. Big X drawn on that photo in manual. Saw on the ground, one foot in handle not both, one hand on top handle, set the choke, grip pull start and pull until fire, close choke and don't cut yourself after that. No quotes from the manual. Hope I got it right or this post will go wild.
Bad almond, you start your saw like Troll most of the time unless saw is cold or tooo big/heavy. Above mentioned is stated in the 3rd party so no finger pointing.
Jonsered 2050 625 630 670 2065 X 2
Husqvarna 346xp 254xp 257 357xp 61
Echo 500vl

Only when I used dad's L77 Husky the first couple of times. But then I had to wear gloves because the AV mounts were so bad and I bought my L65 so I stopped using it.

AV mounts!! We don't need no stinkin' AV mounts!!

Never noticed a loss of skin on 371, 372, 281 or 394..... or the L77 (except when the chain got a little hungry and gave me a nip in '92)

Last edited:
It's a new Husky safety feature, that kinda works like a "Cup check" before the Hockey game.

Ya skin a knuckle on the saw, and are supposed to remember to put the gloves on at that point. That way ya don't get your Paws shredded/burnt/cut/avulsed or worse, on other things later.

Those Swedish Engineers think of everything.:D

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

i use the tween the legs start method a lot. never lost any skin with stihls, echos, dolmar. never tried a husqy.

i do have an 026 that had worn av mounts in the front. if i started it on the ground the chain brake would slap my knuckles! ouch.:cry:

Latest posts

Back