Are Jonsered 630 rare/sought after saws in the US?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2StrokeFondler

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I needed space, so I sold a saw :(
A Jonsered 630, single piece ignition. Nothing special. Well used on the outside. It got new bearings, seals, lines, membranes, new OEM intake block, and some other stuff. Decent saw, but not ported or modded.
A guy from Virginia bought it, which took me very much by surprise. Shipping was over 70 bucks from Europe.
Are those Jonsereds rare and sought after in the US? If so, why? They're "just" a Husky 61 with closed ports, right? Decent, but nothing special.

Some guys collect saws and will pay good money to get an old saw they dont have.
Those saws are not that rare in canada, they pop up for sale often but are quite expensive so I didnt buy one.
I'd buy one if I found it cheap.

They aren't rare here but are sought after. Especially the later Super II's like the one you sold. They were the most advanced and simplified versions of the 630. They also had a "D" shaped combustion chamber rather than the earlier/regular round type which increased compression and flow. Though they are of the same family as the 61 and the same bore and stroke, they are a much more powerful version if tuned properly. The 625 Jonsered is the same as the 61 with a few different parts/systems.......mainly concerning the carb/choke and intake system.

Technically they are more of a red 162 than a closed port 61, even though tahtbis mord or less the same thing 🤣. Either way I don't think they are all that uncommon, I have 6 complete and 3 or 4 in pieces.
The 630 super and 162 share the same piston and cylinder so you are correct. The 630 is essentially a red 162. I’ve got a husky 61/162 hybrid with a HS224 carb and non baffled “XP” muffler it’s a strong runner.

Bet he will pay well for that and the shipping from NZ should not be too bad will it?
Well, shipping was ... complicated. I put into the description "worldwide shipping starts at 25€" in German. But I guess it got lost in translation, so when he won the bid, he paid 25€ for shipping immediately. That was a problem, cause he got no Paypal, and I was already at my max. amount of auctions that month. So I couldn't just create a "fake" auction for him to make up the difference. We agreed he will give the difference to his local red cross.

This one pretty close to me was with some other stuff FS. They had it listed with another saw and a tiller for 165 for all 3.

Even for that price I didnt go look at them.

View attachment 1081380View attachment 1081382View attachment 1081383

That one is the same as mine, very early production 630 with the old style fuel/oil caps, metal toggle kill switch, raised JONSEREDS lettering on the air box cover and metal brake flag- but yours is in way nicer condition!

I needed space, so I sold a saw :(
A Jonsered 630, single piece ignition. Nothing special. Well used on the outside. It got new bearings, seals, lines, membranes, new OEM intake block, and some other stuff. Decent saw, but not ported or modded.
A guy from Virginia bought it, which took me very much by surprise. Shipping was over 70 bucks from Europe.
Are those Jonsereds rare and sought after in the US? If so, why? They're "just" a Husky 61 with closed ports, right? Decent, but nothing special.
Shipping from EU is USUALLY cheaper for large items than Shipping across the US. I've been bidding on saws from EU lately with $45-70 shipping costs... Same saws from the west coast of the US (I'm on the east coast) are easily $90-140 shipping.

Our shipping services (UPS and Fedex are the big ones) are very, very, VERY high profit companies... and USPS (The gov subsidized mail service who handles letters as well as packages) is ran by politicians who are trying to kill it deliberately at least half the time... so they jack prices up to make people hate it and therefore support its demise. A decade or so ago, when it was discovered these tactics were making it outrageously profitable (and it's not SUPPOSED to be, it's essentially considered a public service here)... they instituted some ludicrous requirement that it must maintain cash on hand to cover its retirement programs/pensions for something insane like the next hundred years... which if you understand finance... basically is impossible. I think this was eventually cancelled... but only after more than a decade of USPS taking on MASSIVE debt to comply.

This makes USPS look like its hemorrhaging money even while in reality it prints money hand over fist... so if you are on one side politically; you can argue it needs welfare and on the other you can argue it's a bad institution and should be shut down... basically a solution that makes both of our political parties look good to their base while completely screwing everyone. Lets not even get into how much stock a number of our politicians who made that law in the first place own in UPS and Fedex (USPS publicly traded for-profit competition).

Latest posts

Back