Are there any left- handed arborists out there???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I can only drink beer with my left hand. It just isn't comfortable in the right.....lol.

Seriously, I am left handed, but use a saw the correct way. It is really not that hard to pull the throttle with your right index finger. Both hands are important when using a saw.

I would like to try one of those left handed jobbies some day. There is a nice Cox on the bay right now. I think I'll bid on it.

Running Vintage Cox 140 Beaver Chainsaw | eBay

For some reason I can only drink beer with my left hand. It just isn't comfortable in the right.....lol.

Seriously, I am left handed, but use a saw the correct way. It is really not that hard to pull the throttle with your right index finger. Both hands are important when using a saw.

I would like to try one of those left handed jobbies some day. There is a nice Cox on the bay right now. I think I'll bid on it.

Running Vintage Cox 140 Beaver Chainsaw | eBay

Please buy that. Then measure the clutch spring for me.:D

The Cox saws are extremely light, also. FWIW

I got treated to the no left hand thing in kindergarten, my fingers got taped together. I ended up mostly right handed and a bit dyslexic. I use either hand for most things, but I always lead with the left.

THey tried to tell my parents that I needed to learn to be right handed as I would be different from all the other kids. My parents refused and siad if he is left handed then so be it:msp_biggrin: don't mess with a good thing:laugh:

I got treated to the no left hand thing in kindergarten, my fingers got taped together. I ended up mostly right handed and a bit dyslexic. I use either hand for most things, but I always lead with the left.

Pretty much how I was treated. At this point I'm pretty glad they did though, running loaders, dozers, working with my hands, it turns out pretty beneficial. I can even write pretty well with both hands... keeps some people guessing.

I run the saw which ever way seems most safe and comfortable for what I'm cutting at the time. Just basic bucking up a log, the saws are meant to run righty, and tend to be more safe and comfortable to run that way. However, I can switch to the other side, and feel just as much at home if the situation calls for it. It would be interesting to try running a left handed saw, but I doubt I would like it just because I'm used to the bar being on the right. Just like how I can run a circular saw with either hand, but saws with the blade on the right just feel weird.

I forgot on my list above- I use a right handed hockey stick. I don't know if that's just what I grew up with, and am used to, or the fact that when I one hand the stick, I prefer to use my left, so I like having my left hand at the top of the stick.

My dad is right handed. When he was 17, he was in a bad car wreck, and really busted up his left arm (30 breaks between his wrist and his elbow), and had it in a cast and sling for a long time. Once it healed, he put his right arm in the sling, and forced himself to use his left hand. He said that when he first did this, he couldn't even get the fork to his mouth to eat. He gained his strength in his left arm back a lot faster, and to this day, he can still write with either hand.

Last edited:
THey tried to tell my parents that I needed to learn to be right handed as I would be different from all the other kids. My parents refused and siad if he is left handed then so be it:msp_biggrin: don't mess with a good thing:laugh:

I had a young progressive teacher in first grade, who told me to write with whatever hand I wanted to. So I started writing left handed. When my mother realized this, it was too late to change me. She went up to the school and ripped that teacher up and down for it....lol! If my Mom had gotten her way, I would probably be dyslexic too. It's amazing how times have changed.

Back