Are you a wood snob?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a wood snob?

• Yes, many great choices so I can be a snob.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • No, many great choices but I'll take all kinds.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • No, not many great choices so I take what I can get!

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Other-please explain.

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
View attachment 188460Made this pile of maple today. It was free, came from some trees taken down next-door. Not the world's best firewood, but it was easy. I wouldn't go 20 miles for this wood, but since all I had to do was bring the rounds 500 ft home & split it, why not? Guess I'm a wood oportunist.

Hardwoods are all over the place around here. Between having access to the trees that the city cuts down and being hooked up with a very large tree removal service, I'm never forced to take wood I don't want.

Wood snob? Kinda. I can pick up all the Doug fir and cedar I want at work but I really prefer oak or madrone. If we're opening up an area that hasn't been logged for awhile I'll have the skidder operator road-deck some. I'll stop on my way out after work and cut a load.

The wood snob thing shows up whenever I can find almond. I'll travel a little for that stuff.

so according to the poll, you are satisfied? or are you going to discuss the real snobs? now it is a known thread we need to consider the actual reason for your poll. If not, thats ok too. Just wonderin what snob means to the wood, living or not.

so according to the poll, you are satisfied? or are you going to discuss the real snobs? now it is a known thread we need to consider the actual reason for your poll. If not, thats ok too. Just wonderin what snob means to the wood, living or not.

Well, let's see...I myself voted as being a wood "snob" because there are so many great hardwoods here in PA. that I can turn down the lesser woods if I want to. For example, today at the local compost site I scored White Birch, Maple and Apple while I left the Pine and other softwoods there for someone else...just wanted to see how many other fellow woodburners do that same thing if they are able, that's all; there is no ulterior motive to the thread, just posted it for kicks and giggles, you know? ;)

No not snobs. The group of guys I cut with are known as the Wood Whores because we take it all.

I wouldn't say so much as being a Wood Whore, but I definately have the "wood horrors". All I think about is wood, wood, wood. If I go for an ATV ride, I'm looking for dead trees and scoping out if I can get the truck to the tree. Hard to enjoy the forest other than for the free firewood trees! Finding the free wood is the best part - so rewarding.

I am a snob. I have limited time to process and space to store as well so I only take easy splitting high BTU woods. Living in the Northeast, it is easier to be a snob. I try for the highest BTU per man/hour and volume. I leave twisted, knotty stuff in the woods to rot, just not worth the time. For me, there is nothing better than some Black Locust.

Back