Are you kidding me ??? Definately what NOT to do !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a logger and have only dropped a few trees in my life, but please educate me and explain what he did wrong. The only thing I could think of was walking in front of the tree before it fell.

I'm going to wait to hear from people who know. He sure made a clean and accurate cut, so I'd have to guess he's got experience. I cannot tell what directed or controlled the fall direction of that tree. It fell away from the final section he cut - why?

I also would not mess with the chain of a running saw, but maybe he put the brake on (could not tell).

Just a forester here. He is not using any hinge . A hinge is what controls the fall and should keep the log from spinning around when falling. I didn't see any face cut either. I think that he was trying to not get any stump pull because on the youtube site he says he's cutting veneer logs. Maybe he's comfy doing that, but he would be on my mental list of fallers to keep a distance from. But, maybe it is a technique used in hardwoods? I don't know. It's a risky looking way to cut.

We need to hear from hardwood production fallers.

Tit was that Stihl Bar on a Husky that got you, Wasn't it.

Just a forester here. He is not using any hinge . A hinge is what controls the fall and should keep the log from spinning around when falling. I didn't see any face cut either. I think that he was trying to not get any stump pull because on the youtube site he says he's cutting veneer logs. Maybe he's comfy doing that, but he would be on my mental list of fallers to keep a distance from. But, maybe it is a technique used in hardwoods? I don't know. It's a risky looking way to cut.

We need to hear from hardwood production fallers.
After reading your post I went back and checked and you can see a small face cut on the log.

That was bizarre. Why was he cutting with the top of the bar? Did he have any idea which direction it was gonna go when it fell? Maybe just relying on the shape of the canopy? Then I like how it hopped off the stump and chased him and his cameraman! If that's how they do it ok but that was unlike anything I've ever seen.

That was bizarre. Why was he cutting with the top of the bar? Did he have any idea which direction it was gonna go when it fell? Maybe just relying on the shape of the canopy? Then I like how it hopped off the stump and chased him and his cameraman! If that's how they do it ok but that was unlike anything I've ever seen.
Did you see that big limb on the left?

And I don't believe he's an avid AS reada.

Back