Are you ready for the COLD weather coming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a separate pile of loucust and hedge for when it gets colder than
normal .I have had the house 75 at 5 deg with just the fire it was a hot one
though.I couldnt imagine -40 for more than a day or 2 .

Supposed to hit -20 here by the end of the week...I got wood! :clap: Prolly the end of my 14hr burn on 6-8 chunks for a bit though!

Yup, cold front coming down from the North..... Suppose to be 15 tonight, was 45 today, 20s tomorrow Tues, Weds low of 7, then low of 5 for Thurs night....

Looking at the 10 day, after Friday back to 40s during the day, and mid to upper 20s at night. I guess a 'one week cold front' ain't so bad.

I moved some seasoned wood closer to the stove this weekend, got about another 14 cords in the wood lot down by the hay barn. Bring it on !!!

Yup, cold front coming down from the North..... Suppose to be 15 tonight, was 45 today, 20s tomorrow Tues, Weds low of 7, then low of 5 for Thurs night....

Looking at the 10 day, after Friday back to 40s during the day, and mid to upper 20s at night. I guess a 'one week cold front' ain't so bad.

I moved some seasoned wood closer to the stove this weekend, got about another 14 cords in the wood lot down by the hay barn. Bring it on !!!

Y'all had 45 today and going to 15? :dizzy:

15 ain't that cold I'm not gonna lie to ya, but that sort of a swing in temps is like geting out of a nice HOT shower and stepping into a Meat Locker!
I HATE it when that happens! I'd rather be up here and just drop another 10 or so and not notice much.:D
If I was down there my sinuses would explode.

Make sure to remember to turn the water to the outside spigots off.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not ready but still waiting and waiting and...

Temperatures are going below zero in a few days and I sit with the Living room in a wreck and fireplace in half installed position. I am unable to install myself, but installers are too stupid and couldn't see the truss in the way of the chimney we also mentioned this to them when they came to measure for vent pipes. Owner said no problem. So, they tried to go straight up anyway but couldn't so I have been waiting for another 2 weeks for pipes to come in. Today they called me to get lengths they need to order. Now I have to wait longer. Who am I paying for the so called expert install?:angry2: :angry2:

Lennox has lousy instructions- no install instructions just limits and specs! Installers do not even follow the specs, I have to watch them like a hawk and point out numerous mistakes.
Sorry to rant but I bought fireplace in Oct. and I still can't use the wood I hauled home from our property for heat THIS WINTER! So bottom line, NO I am not ready for the cold!

Temperatures are going below zero in a few days and I sit with the Living room in a wreck and fireplace in half installed position. I am unable to install myself, but installers are too stupid and couldn't see the truss in the way of the chimney we also mentioned this to them when they came to measure for vent pipes. Owner said no problem. So, they tried to go straight up anyway but couldn't so I have been waiting for another 2 weeks for pipes to come in. Today they called me to get lengths they need to order. Now I have to wait longer. Who am I paying for the so called expert install?:angry2: :angry2:

Lennox has lousy instructions- no install instructions just limits and specs! Installers do not even follow the specs, I have to watch them like a hawk and point out numerous mistakes.
Sorry to rant but I bought fireplace in Oct. and I still can't use the wood I hauled home from our property for heat THIS WINTER! So bottom line, NO I am not ready for the cold!

Have you called and talked to Lennox yet?

They probably would like to know about your mess ruining a good name they have invested in, and might be able to ummm.. "Motivate" your ekspurt into installing in a timely fashion and correctly.

Either way, when your guy is done, call another installer and have them eyeball things. He might catch some things the ekspurt missed, and possibly save you some headaches.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My recommendation: DO NOT BUY LENNOX

Lennox said they would talk to tech people and call back. That was a week ago and I am still waiting despite several more call attempts to get my answer.

According to Lennox there is 1 other dealer in area and they are 50 miles away.
Attempted install was 12/26/09, Yesterday I got the call that they needed pipe lengths to order. I thought they ordered pipes long ago after trying to install the fireplace. We have waited all this time with nothing being done by them,Appalling!
Lennox and BBB about installer will get scathing letter from me if this project ever gets done!!

Contractor called today and asked about status of install as he probably wants to finish the job and get paid. Maybe I will have him call installer to get their butts moving:buttkick: . Marble cutters have been holding a piece of marble for us since Oct. I am sure they want to get paid in full.

It is -2 degrees outside and my firewood is freezing outside instead of burning inside and we are mad.

The job is being done under a permit so it will get inspected by our city and they are "well-known" to be sticklers.
In permit wording it states install must be done to manufacturer specs.

RCR,

Just completed our new Hootch 2 years ago.. I know your pain.:cry:

I had good luck and some moderate success by calling vendors, and asking each person thier name and the spelling of thier name, and documenting everything, then referencing names, dates and times on the next call.

It scares the crap outta some of them, because they are thinking of legal problems looming.:D

It should. A puchase is a legal contract. Remind them if needed.;)

Stay on 'em, and demand stated times for response, then call back when they drop the ball.

Also... and this is a dirty trick.
Be nice about it.
Especially to the first person to answer the phone.
They have the most info on what the scoop is, and who in the company REALLY can get things done.;)

Lennox is a big company, but someone there has to have thier act together.
The trick is to find them! LOL!!

My nemesis was the power company:censored: circle talking me.

That sucks!!!

Keep on 'em!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the help here are some pics of work so far:
1 Contractor work done from 12/10/08-12/26 waiting for install
attachment.php

2 Fireplace installed no pipes for vents installed, stuff on top of fireplace do not work,the wood platform will support the slate hearth. This is what we have looked at since 12/26.
attachment.php

If the fireplace gets installed I will post images

-22 last night, -1 for the high today and then repeat until Saturday.:cry:
The Taylor is chowing wood like no tomorrow and I'm real glad I cut like crazy before this hit because today would NOT be a good day to cut wood. I don't know how you guys up north can keep up with wood usage at -40 for weeks on end. I suppose your houses are much better insulated than mine is.

Getting ready here in NC

I just had a load delivered (just to make sure I didn't run out). About half was some seasoned white oak. Other half seasoned red oak. Nice big solid pieces. The white oak is beautiful.. almost hate to burn it. Supposed to get down to 11 the next few nights (and for us Southern dudes, that's cold).

I had about three 12" white oak rounds (about 6" in length) that I busted up a few nights ago. Threw in the chunks with some red oak chunks around 9pm. I'd say my stove was about half full. Went to the Taylor 6am the next morning and hot, hot, hot coals. It was down to around 30 over the night. I sure was surprised as the white oak was cut around August of last year.

That stuff burns just awesome.. hardly any ash. I have a pallet full (4" high) of the same white oak in larger pieces that I'm aging till next year.

Biker Dude, I've got some questions on how you load your Taylor.. I'll pm ya.

breake out the big rounds

i set aside some 12" + oak for these temps its -12 now and cooling down tonight; its great my furnace wont kick on at all with my heatmor eating oak. driving to work this AM lots of frunaces are really bucking up the chimney and man i bet those meters are spining

attachment.php
The Taylor is chowing wood like no tomorrow and I'm real glad I cut like crazy before this hit because today would NOT be a good day to cut wood. I don't know how you guys up north can keep up with wood usage at -40 for weeks on end. I suppose your houses are much better insulated than mine is.

Coming my too. I stacked the wood in my barn so that I used up the junkier stuff first and have just hit the "gold" rows. From here on out it's top of the line stuff. The old Glenwood (Bless her large cast iron heart) loves it too. Check out the oven gauge pegged at 600 degrees! (biscuits!) That's gonna stay like that all day for good head start! :cheers:

Last edited:
A perfect moment

I just went out and checked mine and it was perfectly quiet, no wind, smoke rising straight up into the sky and the coals in the Taylor were just beautiful.
attachment.php

I shut off the flashlight for a moment and sat down on a log to enjoy the evening. It's moments like those that make me glad I heat with wood.

And then the wind picked up and ruined the whole thing!:mad:

Last edited:
RCR,

If I remember correctly, We almost bought a fireplace from another maker that was rebranded as a "Lennox" as well.

Had some sort of a California sounding name.... I'll remember it at 0445.

Anyhoo, if that is the case, you could hijack the specs and installation guide online just to do a "peer check and review with independent verification" on your ekspurt.

Gawd it's killing me now that I can't remember!! DRAT!

I'll ask my supplier if he remembers, as I gotta pick up a new baffle and insulator blanket this week.

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

I just came in from "feeding the pig" as I call it.Lots of hot coals,the blower running,its 9 degrees here,the OWB is defintely working harder than before,the blowr ran a long time yesterday,boiler got down to 165 with a 174 turn on 179 turn off.I had a decent amount of wood in it still,as well.Still not sure why it dropped so far.NBikerdude,awesome picture,just look at it makes you warm.

I say the same thing.My house is very well built,and tight.Its not the problem,my OWB is heating the outside thru the door,back and top.I dont think im even as cold as you are here in NY,and when it gets down in the single digits,boy does it eat wood.I upsized my boiler to the next larger size than what the MFG recommended as well,and it still is grunting,running the blower a lot,and has a hard time keeping up at certain times when more than one zone is calling at a time.

Just got in from feeding the OWB, zero degrees, feels like -8 they say. A few logs left sitting in a big bed of coals, stired it up a little, cleaned the grates from the bottom, threw on some more wood. Not bad for the coldest night in 2 years, and I get a 13 hour burn in my Hardy H2 not packing as tight as I could have. Tonight is even colder, so I will put a little more in it this evening.

Latest posts

Back