Are you ready for the COLD weather coming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-22 last night, -1 for the high today and then repeat until Saturday.:cry:
The Taylor is chowing wood like no tomorrow and I'm real glad I cut like crazy before this hit because today would NOT be a good day to cut wood. I don't know how you guys up north can keep up with wood usage at -40 for weeks on end. I suppose your houses are much better insulated than mine is.

I'm not that far from you but that is why I buy a 10 cord loggers truck load every year of 8 footers mostly Red Oak, White Oak, and Ash, and have it cut up and split by October. It was -27° this morning and was 78° inside my house. Although I have a in the basement wood furnace I had to get up at midnight and 3:30am to stoke it up, the fire box is only about 19" X 17" X 17"high. a little more work but it keeps the house toasty warm, I even had to open the bedroom window a crack last night it got so damn hot in there. Under normal temps. I get a all night burn, but when it's this cold I have to let it rip a little bit. One thing that is funny up north here is when it gets back up to like the 20°'s people are out in tee shirts and shorts.

Last edited:
-25 this morning when I loaded the Taylor and I had very few coals left. I got 7.5 hours on a packed load. Not too bad considering the temp. and wind chill.

I love your log pile Coldfront and I have though about buying a semi-load of logs but it was around $1000 per load and I would need 2 loads to get through the winter. 2 grand is still cheaper than heating with LP but not by much. OWBs burn through twice the wood that indoor furnaces do so if I want cheap heat I have to harvest the wood myself. How dry is that oak? do you split it in the spring and then season it all summer?

Actually the load I got was sitting stacked in 8 foot length for 2 years. I cut and split it all in Sept. & early Oct. The Ash was premo ready to go, the red oak is still a little green even after 2 years sitting in 8 foot, but so far I have had no problem burning any of it. I wish I was a year ahead with my wood but that's the way it goes. I hope to start on a new load early in the spring so at least it has 7 or 8 months to season. I'm lucky I get a 10 cord log truck load for $300 for that price it is not worth going and cutting it myself.

$300 a load?:jawdrop:

You should hook me up with your seller. You are right, at $300 for 10 cord it's cheaper to buy than it is to cut, especially if it's oak.

I just went out and checked mine and it was perfectly quiet, no wind, smoke rising straight up into the sky and the coals in the Taylor were just beautiful.
attachment.php

I shut off the flashlight for a moment and sat down on a log to enjoy the evening. It's moments like those that make me glad I heat with wood.

And then the wind picked up and ruined the whole thing!:mad:

Nice picture. That would make a great screensaver.

Just got in from filling the Shaver 250.Its keeping up for now,its -4 here. I loaded 3x today,6am,2 pm and 10pm.I gave it a 3/4 load this am,2 logs at 2,and filled it 90% full tonight.I cant say I'm surprised at the amount if wood,since its so cold.House is 71 right now.

-21 just now when I filled the Taylor for the night. House has been at 69-70 deg. for the last 2 days, normally 74 deg. and water temp in the OWB is at 140, normally 160-170 and the draft fan probably hasn't shut off for the last 2 days. It's a good thing the cold front is going to break tomorrow so I can let the stove burn down and give it a good cleaning. I generated half a wheelbarrow full of ash in the last 4 days!

November Wolf said:
Nice picture. That would make a great screensaver.
Thanks for the idea, it does!

Last edited:
Holy smokes it was -28 here this morning. I thought it was supposed to warm up. A week of this is getting pretty old.

Good thing the CB likes it.

TWC said it would be 13 here last night,I woke up to -3 below zero. The Shavers been keeping up just fine.Its been too cold to cut wood,and drag dead stuff out,i gotta get more wood,its becoming an obsession.:chainsaw:

Same here! WTF is with the weather guys! Aaaah... no biggie, we take as it comes here. Just another log on the fire! :D

Hang tough gang! :cheers:

Back