Are you serious???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup... the ex BIL was like that. And they never change.

Some people are arrogant. It's easy to call 'em stupid or even stretch it a bit to label 'em proud. But in reality, they're just plain arrogant. They think accidents and injuries only happen to others. They believe house rules only apply to others.

Folks, I'm big on personal safety but I ain't no PPE Nazi. That said, when I'm in someone else's house I abide by the house rules. If the landowner says you gotta wear steel toes and PPE 'round here, I'm cool with that. His house, his rules. :)

In the OP, Mike was within his rights to usher those boneheads out. They weren't there to pick strawberries on a Saturday evening. They were there to cut wood and should have dressed for it.

Had one of the flip-floppers cut his toes off he'd be hollering lawsuit and Mike's insurance carrier would ream him a new one for allowing it to occur. I'd wager a case of beer on it.

We get a lot of truck drivers that are "new Canadians" that drive with those on, when they have to chain up loads and don't have their boots, they have to tie down outside the gate.

or call their dispatch.

Hey Roy,
There's one born every minute (that's what I've heard anyway). :laugh:
At least he was wearing "flip flop's", could have been hurache's (or however you spell it). You know those sandal's made from tire's, that come from south of the border. :laugh: You are in the desert, lucky he didn't show up in shorts.

How's that shoulder?
If it doesn't snow or rain, we can get you in now. :cheers:

Andy

Hey Andy...
Shoulder still hurts all the damm time!!!:censored: Dr. said he could give me another cortazone shot if I wanted but he was not in favor of it at this time:(, still looking at surgery the 1st of March unless something opens up before then, hopefully only looking at 4-6 weeks off line:msp_wink:
Would not mind makeing a run up there if the farms down here were not in full triming, gotta try and get all I can now, if I get lucky and their able to move up my surgery date, and like I said I usually try and get dad set for the yr. before I take any. Any leads on more wood cutting for you this year? I hope so for both of us:tongue2:

Roy

Last edited:
It was not my intent to get the guy kick out, more looking out for Mike. He has been a friend of the family for many years, like I said I know he is big on being safe when he lets you in to cut/load wood. I know some of the other orchards around here no longer let people in due to individuals like this, and I dont want that to happen between us and Mike. Mike always lets dad and I know were and take the biger stuff, two years ago when they did some major!! triming, I hauled out what amounted to 12 cords after bucking/spiting:msp_scared: . So I always inturn keep an out out for guys like this and one try to let them know they need to change what they are wearing or two let Mike know about it.......and yes it may have been sh*ty of me but I did go and load up what Mike made him unload:msp_rolleyes: oh welll

It was not my intent to get the guy kick out, more looking out for Mike. He has been a friend of the family for many years, like I said I know he is big on being safe when he lets you in to cut/load wood. I know some of the other orchards around here no longer let people in due to individuals like this, and I dont want that to happen between us and Mike. Mike always lets dad and I know were and take the biger stuff, two years ago when they did some major!! triming, I hauled out what amounted to 12 cords after bucking/spiting:msp_scared: . So I always inturn keep an out out for guys like this and one try to let them know they need to change what they are wearing or two let Mike know about it.......and yes it may have been sh*ty of me but I did go and load up what Mike made him unload:msp_rolleyes: oh welll

Ya did the right thing.
The insurance on the farm isn't cheap, and if there is a lawsuit, from some dork mangling his pinkie toe, it's just going to go up.
It would also be likely your bud Mike, wouldn't be allowed to have non-employees on the farm in the future as well.

You covered mikes butt, his bosses butt, and your own butt. Doofus can go mangle himself somewhere else.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

So what would it take to get you to send me a USPS fixed rate box of that pecan wood? Chunked up nice and tight fitting. I'd love to have some of that for smoking. If your interested, I can send you a box of apple wood, fresh from the orchard.

Hey Andy...
Shoulder still hurts all the damm time!!!:censored: Dr. said he could give me another cortazone shot if I wanted but he was not in favor of it at this time:(, still looking at surgery the 1st of March unless something opens up before then, hopefully only looking at 4-6 weeks off line:msp_wink:
Would not mind makeing a run up there if the farms down here were not in full triming, gotta try and get all I can now, if I get lucky and their able to move up my surgery date, and like I said I usually try and get dad set for the yr. before I take any. Any leads on more wood cutting for you this year? I hope so for both of us:tongue2:

Roy

Make hay while the sun shines buddy. I'm sure your dad took care of you for a long time, it's your turn now. But I know I don't have to tell you that. :cheers:
No prospects for wood right now, I'm doing some dozer work (trail building) on a ranch right now and still waiting on the spirit to move the mechanic that's working on my Bobcat.
This isn't the whining thread, so I'd better leave it at that. :laugh:

Andy

You know chaps only take about the same amount if time to put on as a seatbelt does. Honestly I think running a saw without a pair of chaps and boots on is just plain no offense stupid, but to each to own.

We get a lot of truck drivers that are "new Canadians" that drive with those on, when they have to chain up loads and don't have their boots, they have to tie down outside the gate.

or call their dispatch.

Hahahahahahahaha mighty PC there.. New Canadians.. hahahahahahahahaha

So what would it take to get you to send me a USPS fixed rate box of that pecan wood? Chunked up nice and tight fitting. I'd love to have some of that for smoking. If your interested, I can send you a box of apple wood, fresh from the orchard.

Just pay the shipping, what size are you looking at? I have alot!!! of "smaller" stuff this is in the 2"-3" dia. range and ~4'-5' long, I usually pile it up off to the side for just that (smoking) I have a guy that usually comes out about once a yr. and fills his p.u. with it. Not sure how big the boxes are but I would cut it to fit nice and tight in there and pack it in, see if they stand behind there "if it fits it ships" claim huu?:msp_scared: Same for anyone else here I would be more than willing to send you some of it, those of us who have used it for smoking know who great it is, I mix mine when I smoke briskets pecan and mesquite:rock::msp_w00t:

If the guy was wearing hiking boots and jeans, would there have been an issue?

Thanks guys, like I said it was not my intentions to get the guy kicked out, just know how Mike is. Will admit that I have even at times have run my saws in just jeans and a #### but not for long, but when Im in the orchards like this they have just trimmed stuff so there are branches lying all over the place, dont know how many times I have triped over one, so I am religious about putting on ALL my PPE gear. On a side note I got a call today from Mike saying that they were fixing to move into one of the bigger orchards for some really big triming and if we (dad and I) wanted he would keep everyone out of that field till we got however much we wanted. Mike knows that I always get my dad set up first then I take the rest and sell it, he has no problem with it......ohh ya that orchard is the bigger one.....110 acers!!!!:dizzy: just hope I can get in and get a decent amount hauled out before I have to have my should surgery:censored: Stay safe and Happy cutting:rock:

I don't know what a "####" is, but you gotta quit wearin' one. :msp_biggrin:

Back