Area 51 Dog Does Some Biting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloodontheice, I hope to have a 7900 that sounds like yours someday...:chainsaw:

Moparman...NASTY CHICKS ARE BEST...:yoyo:

Take care fellas.

Rick

5100 newbe

Well it seems I found myself in possession of a new 5100 yesterday.The dealer,a very capable fellow,tunes them to run on avgas which of course he sells.However it seems to be set to err on the side of caution.Both limiters full out.After idling a while it will stall when pointed down and is only hitting 12,500 at wot.
I don't plan on making any big adjustments until I work it a little but I'm a sure muffler mod is in its future.My searching skill must be challenged but I can't seem to pull up any 5100 muffler mod pics.Anyone care to point them out to me,that would be great.Anyway I've enjoyed lurking around and I'm sure I will be begging advice in the future.Thanks,Ron

Welcome brother.

It sounds like your L setting is too lean. Richen the L setting and then set your idle. That should take care of the problem. Remember to test roll too. Move the saw to all cutting positions to make sure it does not die. But remember to check your throttle response when you do so. I had the same problem when I began tinkering with tuning the saw myself.

Sounds like where your H setting is almost near the sweet spot...maybe 1000rpm's off. Lean the H screw a little bit. You should be golden.

I used to have some modded pics of the muffler mod I did, but I'm not sure if I saved them or not. I can take a look for you later this evening.

Rick

Here are a few pictures. Not the entire mod, but you'll get the idea.

I wanted to keep it stock looking at the time. Others use pipes.

I'd like to follow the 85% ruling(I didn't know about it during this mod). Where you must keep the muffler opening outlet no larger than 85% of the cylinder exhaust port. You'll have to learn how to use mm instead of inches. But no biggie. A digital caliper is your best friend...

With the 6401 build. I'll be capping the exit hole shut and starting from scratch to try and obtain optimum performance using this rule.

There are other ways too. Check out the muff mods on top of the home page for saws. Plenty of pictures there.

May the force be with you...

Rick

Start off by tapping spot welds.
SN850632.jpg

This is what you'll see.
SN850633.jpg

Scribe your opening
SN850645.jpg

Make your rough cut or use a hole saw. Someone had a good idea of welding on a washer and using that to help use a hole saw for a clean cut.
SN850652.jpg

Clean it up for optimum performance.
SN850655.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how much it helps, but if you don't live in a cold weather environment, I'd take off the heat deflector.
SN850639.jpg

Then tap spot welds that hold it together.
SN850641.jpg

Fitting the exhaust deflector back on. You'll need to hammer it down from prying off.
SN850656.jpg

Weld or use tapping screws like the one that holds down the spark arrestor. I'd cut off the threads on the screw that is not needed so that it will not get in the way of the exhaust gasses. Because if you use screws, that will be 9 to 12 screws protruding into the muffler chamber depending on what you do.
SN850658.jpg

You're done and drinking a cold one. It will run stronger. And sound nice too:clap:

Last edited:
Thank you brother FSM. One thing I noticed about this porting is that I can lower the idle freaking low (without it turning off) and it reminds of standing at a gas station pumping gas and listening to a Ducati roll in to pump gas:jawdrop:

DSCF0016.jpg

Here is jaws...not cool.

Rick

Filing the chain now.

hey bud, what kinda chain is this? never seen this kind b 4?

Sup Ritchy!?!

Bro, the kind that is coming off the bar!!!

Not sure what that is for other than an anti kickback feature(?) and EXTRA weight being slung around for nothing...

I dig your Jeep by the way!!! Nice!

Type your question in the search box and you'll be golden. There is a lot of threads about it. The fun part will be doing the research.

Bro, there is a lot of info at this site. Listen, Learn, Apply...EXECUTE.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i701.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/Dolmarproject.flv">

Bored to check plug

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Rick

very nice, i'm going to have to get me one of those i think, minus the safety chain that is. lol l8ter tocayo.

very nice, i'm going to have to get me one of those i think, minus the safety chain that is. lol l8ter tocayo.

Sup tocayo! I'll tell you Ritch, I'm having a blast man.

Go for it bro, it's a fun saw to tinker with and it has A LOT of torque for it's size. Trully "little big man."

lol, it'll hafta waite i just ordered a jonsered 2165. retireing the 670. hard to find parts as she's so old.

Latest posts

Back