Arm Protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience with using arm protection when doing chainsaw / firewood / tree work.

I have seen Arm Chaps that are leather only

Thanks for your input!

I could see arm chaps for my bark retention but not for stopping a chain still running on the bar.

I kind of understand what your after cause I have had a chain shot on me, wrap up the back of my my upper arm and over my shoulder, unfortunately the teeth are now facing the correct direction for digging in when you pull your arm back......

I almost always have both hands on my saw when I'm cutting. If I were a top-handler or one hander a left arm guard could be useful.

I cut off my old soxs and wear the top part on my left wrist, No not for a saw hit but saves the scraps on yer soft forearm skin from twigs n nasties as you reach and pull limbs, and it keeps my watch under cover plus becomes sweat band and work rag. Its my signature thing when i know i got big day with a mean ol tree

Arm injuries are somewhat rare. You may want to get hand protection, though.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/logger/chain_saw/saw_injuries.html

chain_body.gif

I think the left hand injuries can come from the hand slipping off or the negligence of intentionally removing it to move a branch or some such. Also when moving/walking with the saw idling and the chain brake not set (or set), trip and let go with the forward hand to catch/brace yourself.

Maybe the best left hand ppe would be velcro gloves.

I will see your iron gloves and raise you one iron suit:

Uh, maybe that's just a little too much. But maybe not, too. :laugh:

I'm not knocking PPE. I wear it and I believe in it. My crew wears it...it's a requirement. Over the years I've seen it prevent injuries.
But where do we draw the line? If you wrap up every vulnerable part of your body you probably won't have enough mobility to bend over and pick up your saw, let alone use it.
Too many people figure that if they wear enough PPE they won't get hurt at all and I think they get lazy with their saw handling technique.
Usually when a guy hurts himself with a saw it's because he did something stupid. Period. They get in a hurry or they don't keep a good eye out for hazards or maybe they think "I can get away with this one more time" and they don't.
Look at the hundreds of "I cut my leg with a saw and now I'm going to buy some chaps" threads on AS. PPE might save them from the same thing next time but not unless they examine what they did wrong the first time and correct it.

One of the worst saw injuries I've seen was a kickback while bucking that caught a guy across the side of his face vertically. It knocked his hard hat off and removed part of his scalp, all of his ear, and a good sized piece of his jaw. He survived but he quit working in the woods. A full face motorcycle helmet might have saved him but paying better attention to where his bar tip was would have prevented it altogether.

I'm a wimp. I wear longs sleeves shirts while working with logs/fire wood. If not it looks like a pack of cats ran up & down my arms. During the summer it also does help protect me from the sun.

I have been blessed. The few times I have seen chains come off a saw it has always been down & under the saw. (That little bit of aluminum under the chain cover is there for a reason.) How did the chain end up wrapped around your arm?

Back