Articulated loader, ASV or just Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliotttree

Reaction score
Trying to stay small and efficient. I just tried a chipper with a winch and loved it. Much faster then I had imagined. It got me thinking about other tools. Work has been steady and spring is looking crazy. Does anyone have experience with Articulated loaders for brush gathering and chipping or ASV's. We're a one crew company and want something but am concerned that hauling these things around might not be worth it.

Trying to stay small and efficient. I just tried a chipper with a winch and loved it. Much faster then I had imagined. It got me thinking about other tools. Work has been steady and spring is looking crazy. Does anyone have experience with Articulated loaders for brush gathering and chipping or ASV's. We're a one crew company and want something but am concerned that hauling these things around might not be worth it.
hows about a mini skid? imo they kick azz!!

hows about a mini skid? imo they kick azz!!

YUP!!! Turns one man into a three man crew!! I wouldn't trade mine for anything now that I finally have it!!

attachment.php

The Branch manager grapple turns it into a whole other machine.

+3 for mini-loader. Will get in a ton of small spots, has a ton of attachment options, can haul it with a pickup and some trailer brakes, and are just all around fun. :)

Although I do have to say, there is almost nothing more satisfying than getting the butt end of a log pulled up into the feed tray, repositioning the cable and then pulling that sucker right into the feed wheels, without ever braking a sweat. :)

Articulated loaders are typically too big for residentiual work. I think Gehl and a few other companies make them that are less then 4' wide. IMO a skidsteer is an irreplacable machine. Move wood (at the shop, on the job) Load trucks, plow snow, grade, dig, etc etc... I would never be without one if I hav my own business. Depenmding on your frame of work, a mini is prettyu damn handy as well if you work in tight spots.

If you cann afford the articulated loader, go for ti, they are much better on the lawn then a skid steer.

Mini loaders are OK, but will never replace a real one.

With the properties I work on, the mini skid would be the most versatile tool I could come up with, after the chipper winch of course.

Last winter I took down a big sugar maple with a friend of mine, and we used his mini skid on the job. As far as moving the brush went, I feel it was useless because we could back the chipper and truck right up to the tree. For moving smaller wood around, it was alright. However when we got into the actual trunk wood, the thing was pretty much useless... even in firewood length. For smaller properties though, where you can't get bigger machines in it is kind of nice.

With the properties I work on, the mini skid would be the most versatile tool I could come up with, after the chipper winch of course.

Last winter I took down a big sugar maple with a friend of mine, and we used his mini skid on the job. As far as moving the brush went, I feel it was useless because we could back the chipper and truck right up to the tree. For moving smaller wood around, it was alright. However when we got into the actual trunk wood, the thing was pretty much useless... even in firewood length. For smaller properties though, where you can't get bigger machines in it is kind of nice.

Get the BMG and practice with it (I am still learning the versatility of it). It will move brush easily, and once you learn, the small wood becomes just a few trips, rather than a lot! Be careful, you can take a chunk out of a yard EASILY until you get the feel.
Seriously, I cannot speak highly enough of the usefullness of this attachment!

+4 for the mini skid. I have the same machine & grapple as sawinredneck.

The one disadvantage is that you have to get them to the site (another trailer &/or truck), something that would not be a problem with a chipper winch.

On the other hand, the mini-skid will be able to drag it further.

Just get both.

Get the BMG and practice with it (I am still learning the versatility of it). It will move brush easily, and once you learn, the small wood becomes just a few trips, rather than a lot! Be careful, you can take a chunk out of a yard EASILY until you get the feel.
Seriously, I cannot speak highly enough of the usefullness of this attachment!

My problem with this machine that day was that the sugar maple was 38 or 40" DBH. So the machine was just too small.

For the most part though, my jobs fall into 1 of 2 categories normally. 1) able to get right up to the tree with a truck and chipper, or backhoe, or whatever you might need. 2) everything has to be carried out by hand, or if lucky maybe you can grab it with a rope / cable and redirect.

One thing I'd like to say as a plus for the mini skid... if you get that it's something you have. I'd have to say that just about everybody on here either has their own bobcat, backhoe, FEL, etc. or has a friend who owns one.

Latest posts

Back