AS at the Cemetery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, only one AS member was there (me), but we did get a tired old willow taken down and pieced up for the firewood scroungers to take...hopefully. We also cleaned up a bunch of deadfall, took down a few other piddly trees, and cut up some nice maple limbs (10-18") for firewood.

This was another stunning success for the 7900. One heck of a saw, folks, and even with the 28" bar it ran pretty close to the 066 for only a bit more than half the cost of a new 660. Oh, and the ex-HomeDepot Rental 6401 held its own again today; it is a lot of saw for $217.30.

All in all, a fun way to spend a Saturday morning! Pics follow:

The saws for today - 026Pro, 6401, 7900, 066:
Willow_Saws.jpg

For scale, this is the 066 witha 28" bar:
Scale_Pic.jpg

Here I am, starting the process:
Face_Cut.jpg

Getting there:
Backcut.jpg

And she's down. Let the piecing apart begin.
Cut_1.jpg

Cut_2.jpg

Cut_4.jpg

Cut_3.jpg

Dolmar Absent?

Great Pics....but....where are the pics of the Dolmar in action? I see the 066 and the 6401 getting their hands dirty...where's the 7900? Just curious, once again good pics!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Great Pics....but....where are the pics of the Dolmar in action? I see the 066 and the 6401 getting their hands dirty...where's the 7900? Just curious, once again good pics!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Good point. Most of my 7900 time was when my partner in crime/cameraman wandered off to cut other stuff. Here are a couple of the pics I do have of the 7900 earning its keep:

Cut_6.jpg

Cut_5.jpg

And finally, the results of our work:
Results.jpg

Good pictures, CU. I hope you didn't disturb Mr./Mrs. Hopp...I could see a hand coming out of the ground...grabbing your ankle...pulling you down...getting a chainsaw. Well, we've all seen the movie.

Well, only one AS member was there (me), but we did get a tired old willow taken down and pieced up for the firewood scroungers to take...hopefully. We also cleaned up a bunch of deadfall, took down a few other piddly trees, and cut up some nice maple limbs (10-18") for firewood.

This was another stunning success for the 7900. One heck of a saw, folks, and even with the 28" bar it ran pretty close to the 066 for only a bit more than half the cost of a new 660. Oh, and the ex-HomeDepot Rental 6401 held its own again today; it is a lot of saw for $217.30.

All in all, a fun way to spend a Saturday morning! ....

Really nice - that willow was a good bit larger than they get here.......:) :clap: :clap:

Fair firewood also, unlike alder, but not as good as birch, etc etc.......

Computeruser - Nice work, now I wish I had more monster trees on my property. Then I would have to buy a Dolmar 7900. Looks like fun.

Helluva job Brandon.

And that looks like an Sawinred Andy backcut!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist....;) )

I knew someone was going to say something about that...I actually thought about putting in a disclaimer with my pics, but thought that would seem silly. Anyway, the backcut was actually good when the tree went down. But I hit a really wacky ant nest in a pocket in the center of the tree, so I cut a couple slices off until I had solid wood again to stand on to work on cutting up the rest of it, hence the angled cut. I tried leaving it alone but it was squishy and the ants kept climbing all over me. Ants in my pants = not cool at all.

Really nice - that willow was a good bit larger than they get here.......:) :clap: :clap:

Fair firewood also, unlike alder, but not as good as birch, etc etc.......

In theory it is mediore-to-OK firewood, but at least around here by the time most of them need to be cut down they're half rotten already. This particular tree was actually pretty sound, better than I had expected except for a large vein of rot on the back side (fence side) that resulted from the line clearance crew doing a number on it years ago. And there were a number of massive insect nests in the trunk, too - the ants at the base, two large nests of pillbugs, and a second, even larger nest of ants at the original site of the line clearance crew's work, about 12' up.

I have to get a couple pics of a truly big willow in a park in Ann Arbor. It is a multi-trunk tree on a floodplain, that split apart yet continues to live, sort of. People have stacked logs to make stairs so you can walk into the center of the trunk where the tree split apart, and someone hid a geocache up in there. It must have been 8'+DBH, and probably 12'+ at the point where the multiple stems diverged from the main trunk. The branches themselves, which are now horizontal but continue to grow new vertical shoots, are 3'+ in diameter. It is one prehistoric-looking, scary tree.

Nice way to pay for a saw. I did not know you did tree service work.

This stuff is purely recreational and voluntary. It's a historic, private 10 acre cemetery on the Redford/Detroit boarder that I've got many generations of kinfolks buried in, along with a number of veteran burials dating back to the revolutionary war. Since I'm the only person on the board of directors of the cemetery association under the age of 40 and there are only 2 of us under the age of 65, well, I do much of the upkeep. Luckily a number of friends are willing to come out and lend a hand on a fairly regular basis, so we've been able to make some progress on cleaning it up over the past three or four years.

I used to do a bit of for-pay tree work back when I was in undergrad and law school, as an evenings and weekends and days w/o classes sort of thing. Mostly smaller residential removals and storm damage cleanup. But between work and going back to school (yet again, this time for an MBA), I don't have time to do much paying tree work right now.

Last edited:
great pics

Great post and great thread. I love seeing pics of saws in action.

Great pics computer, I also love seeing pics of saws throwin' chips, whether it's felling or bucking, I love it as all of us do. I was going to say something about the backcut, but glad you cleared it up.:clap: :)

Great pics computer, I also love seeing pics of saws throwin' chips, whether it's felling or bucking, I love it as all of us do. I was going to say something about the backcut, but glad you cleared it up.:clap: :)

I'm glad I cleared it up, too. :biggrinbounce2:

By the way, as of this evening some of those ???????ed ants are still running around in my Jeep and on top of that I keep imagining that I can feel them walking on me. Not cool. Note to self: gotta put a few cans of insect killer spray in my saw box.

I knew someone was going to say something about that....

Just giving you a hard time buddy. Really, anytime you can get a removal of that size down safely and efficiently, you're doing well.

Good for you! Thanks for sharing.

I'd rep you for this thread, but well....

Back