Ascender Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeFrog01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Peztl Zig Zag yet? It is a NEW item. I am trying to decide on the Unicender by Rock Exotica or the more pricey SpiderJack. There are no reviews on any of these products. I primarily use the DDRT and sometimes SRT as situation dictates. The Unicendere allows for both climbing styles. The Zig Zag and SpiderJack look like they work a little more smooth for running branches.

Just looking for some feedback before making a decision.

The Zig Zag looks pretty neat, but as i understand it, you can only use it for DdRT, not SRT.
Another drawback is that you can not attach it midline.
The Hith Hiker from Ropetek looks more interesting IMHO.

I have a lock jack, which can be attached midline. I weigh around 300 lbs, and it doesnt have a smooth transition from brake to release. However many lighter climbers love them. If you are interested in a lock jack, i am going to sell mine which is the LockJack Sport w/ Swivel Carabiner Attachment. I have only used it a few times. I paid $399 plus sales tax for it. I would be willing to sell if for $300 plus shipping.

When the zig zag comes out at the end of the month, i am gonna get one and try it.

Thanks, I forgot to check on the inability to install mid-line. I am leaning towards the Unicender. The video they put on their web page is poor quality and doesn't show much action on branch walking.

I looked at the Hitch Hiker... I am trying to get away from the prusik for primary climb... Maybe I am just looking for new toys... I wish I had the cash for the Raptor!

2treeornot--- NO disrespect, I would prefer to buy new equipment when it comes to climbing gear. I am sure there is nothing wrong with your Lock Jack, however, I would hate to find out the contrary.

No disrespect. I totally agree, but some people don't care, and would buy it so I was just offering.

Yea 2 tree , I have heard of guys altering the device so that it works exactly opposite of its intended use , prolly wouldn't stop and someone would get a fence post up there ass ! And prolly like it ! And BTW real climbers often trade gear ......

I have a HitchHiker and like it.
Going to get a ZigZag too. The lure of shiny new kit is irrestistible.
Have tried a friend's Lockjack a couple of times. Was great tending slack while ascending, but i hated descending on it. That sucker can drop you like an anvil if you aren't careful. Just not used to it, but it really turned me off buying one.

I have the Wraptor and also the Spiderjack with the Dyneema kit and I love them. Both devices were hard to get used to at first, but once you get the hang of them, they are great. The wooden break lever on the Spiderjack allows fine control on descending.

I have uh um a blake hitch with some rubber gloves and a skinny ass. That is all. :sucks: < not the topic, just my eqpt lol

Yeah. And when you eventually become an Oldbuck, you are gonna want to look for easier ways to climb.
Trust me. :D
ZigZags are now in stock, and my order is in. So there!

I've used a Lockjack for a long time for a couple of reasons. 1. I climb alone most of the time and I don't want to switch systems in the tree. 2. Since I'm old fatigue sets in faster and more unexpectedly than if I was young. That makes me more mistake prone. I'm not crazy about the LJ but it's the devil I know. I use a Unicender with my Wraptor because I'll descend SRT. 'Don't like the Unicender nor would I recommend it but for the one purpose I use it for it seems to work.
Phil

Back