Ash borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone heard this, I guess there is a Ash borer problem around my area Northeast Indiana region. If one is to cut a Ash tree he is to leave it at the property it was cut at, so you can not remove it from the property. I have cut many Ash trees this winter and have already split them and have gave a bunch of it away to my wifes grandmother. I was just informed I shouldn't be doing this. This sucks because I have around 150-200 little ash trees (4"-10")that I need to cut down at some property I have. I guess I'll just cut them into log lengths and leave them there in a pile until told otherwise. I would buck them but afraid someone will take them, the area is remote. I will contact DNR and leave out that I have already distributed some around, and see what they say.

lots of dead white ash around here now.Trees die in a hurry to.Looked like wood pecker holes in the trees,but i learned later it was the ash borer.One ridge in the mountains might have hundreds of dead ash,while the next ridge over,maybe 100 yards or so,will be unaffected,kinda strange.

Thanks Ray, That has been very informative, I will see what the update on this is concerning the state. In one of the articles that was mentioned Steuben County is mentioned as strong hold of these little bastarsd. Guess where my property is?? It sounds that I can still cut the wood up for firewood still will need to know if it can leave the property. Will post what I find if anything.

Clues

Thanks Ray, That has been very informative, I will see what the update on this is concerning the state. In one of the articles that was mentioned Steuben County is mentioned as strong hold of these little bastarsd. Guess where my property is?? It sounds that I can still cut the wood up for firewood still will need to know if it can leave the property. Will post what I find if anything.

Your clue is ,...Well,.. why are your cutting them in the first place? ARE they dead or What?...If there dead,. I wood hope you could figure it out,, Moving diseased trees is a NO brainer,...What was your Question?....Read the news,...EAB,.,....Deadly,...AND on the move,.....ERIC

Your clue is ,...Well,.. why are your cutting them in the first place? ARE they dead or What?...If there dead,. I wood hope you could figure it out,, Moving diseased trees is a NO brainer,...What was your Question?....Read the news,...EAB,.,....Deadly,...AND on the move,.....ERIC

Your kinda of a cocky prick aren't you. Your the same one that can't read and analyze what is wrote, (about the Michigan roads ), and have trouble spelling simple words. (most of your posts) It seems to me that you respond to stuff on your simple minded thoughts. They are being cut because they are classified as farm land in a gov't conservation program CRP, the land has been let go for the last 20 or so years and the gov't tells us they need to GO. they are not dead, alive and healthy, I have never heard of this before (the borer) just incase you are having trouble following here. Let me guess you knew they were coming (the borer) before they were here, sorry if I didn't pal. Again THATS WHY I ASKED If this is all you can muster up (answers) don't bother, Your knowledge isn't very overwhelming. But thanks to people like ESM and Ray the good outweighs the bad apples. Thump, Thump, Thump...

Last edited:
My understanding is that by the time the tree has died the bugs have moved on and that the wood is safe to be distributed. But.......any standing live ash could very well be infested with these little a$$hole bugs.:censored:

It's really depressing because white ash is such a nice tree and they are EVERYWHERE around here. As common as maple. I personally haven't seen any evidence here....YET. I live in the Richmond area.

I went to the county extension office today and they directed me to the USDA office. I talked to the people that are strictly incharge of the EAB. So now I have tons of info regarding these little buggars, The lady there told me that next week in Michigan they are beggining to spray for them, she noted that tests done in Swizterland have showed this chemical to be 99% effective. I did find out my county and most surrounding me are in a quarintine, I was told that I can transport the mat'l between counties as long as both counties are in quarintines. So it sounds like everything should be okay regarding my problems, hopefully there is a cure coming for the ashes as well, I guess the ashes I have are going to die either way!

Michigan has just ok'd a new pesticide to try to use on these things, supposed to start spraying it at the end of April. Hopefully it works before the ash trees I have are hit...

I recently went to a resource management conference where we talked a lot about EAB. For those really nice ash trees a person can treat the tree prior to infestation to deter the borers. Several kinds of chemicals can be injected or basally sprayed to keep them away. Also the Dept of Ag has released a parasitic wasp from China that is supposed to eat the larvae too.

Some Ohio counties are under quarantine. I can't transport ash material(or even any firewood) from a quarantined county to one that is not but you can travel between counties that are under the quarantine. Also you can't transport between states even if both states have the EAB. Also the State Dept of Ag told us that over 25 million trees have already died because of the borer.

Josh

same here in michigan, in livingston co we can transport wood as long as we dont cross county lines. that seems stupid as there are some areas that aent infected yet. anyway, ive got a lot of good firewood out of it

It looks like Michigan is using the 3 level quarintine also. In Indiana the first level means no regulated ash can leave the affected county w/out written permission from DNR, You can move ash within the entire county.
Level 2: The townships or townships in which a living specimen of the insect was found (infested townships) undergoes an additional quarintine that keeps regulated items w/in the infested township. You cannot move infested ash to uninfested townships.
Level 3: To ensure that potentially infested ash mat'l from quarintined areas in Indiana is not moved to other states or, conversely, that infested mat'l is not moved into Indiana from EAB quarintined areas in the other states, a federal quarintine between state borders is managed by USDA.

Up the road from me, the state has a pile of quarantined wood in a pile with a big sign that reads, "Infected Wood. Do Not Take." Apparently it will be burned at some point. Some of it is in firewood size pieces, others are in log length.

Up the road from me, the state has a pile of quarantined wood in a pile with a big sign that reads, "Infected Wood. Do Not Take." Apparently it will be burned at some point. Some of it is in firewood size pieces, others are in log length.

Sounds like it's time to do some "midnight shopping" especially if it's ash!

What a DIK Head

Sounds like it's time to do some "midnight shopping" especially if it's ash!

First you claim Ignorance,..Obvesiously you are an Un Imformed Idiot, Then U are put out when (someone like me) says,. Wake up and Focus,..Now your SORRY ASS is lookin to spread the desiease,. MIDNIGHT SHOPPING???? YOU ARE SORRY AND IGNORONT FOR SURE, DO U UNDERSTAND ME???? OR WAS IT SPELLED WRONG?,, IDIOT,....Eric

First you claim Ignorance,..Obvesiously you are an Un Imformed Idiot, Then U are put out when (someone like me) says,. Wake up and Focus,..Now your SORRY ASS is lookin to spread the desiease,. MIDNIGHT SHOPPING???? YOU ARE SORRY AND IGNORONT FOR SURE, DO U UNDERSTAND ME???? OR WAS IT SPELLED WRONG?,, IDIOT,....Eric

Oh great you again? I never claimed ignorance, I'll leave that to you, you fit it so well. Dude I don't think anyone understands you. You know how many people rep'd me for that post and then had many PM's laughing at you?? Did the DNA carrying the smart gene run down mothers leg with you. Your like telling a retard he's retarded, they just don't get it, I feel bad comparing you to a retard, it isn't fair to the retard. I'm not looking to spread any disease thats what this post is about, learning the information as you hear it. I am a little late on this subject, but at least I'm willing to work towards being a solution and not the problem. You just want to nit pick. And yes it was spelled wrong it's IGNORANT not ignoront. I have a suggestion for you, I know spelling is a challenge for some not a big deal, since you can't post a intelligent post, you can tiddy it up and regain some intelligence with spellcheck... thats right you read it right, spellcheck it is offered here. Just a thought.... just a thought. Thump, Thump, Thump...

Oh yeah (after thought) i before e but not in disease, and where did I ever claim ignorance, this is where the reading and then analyzing comes in. Show me where I said that??

Latest posts

Back