Ash Buckets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stove has a pan and goes straight outside to the garden about 30 ft from the door. Only time its a pain is when snow drifts knee high..

My stove has a pan and goes straight outside to the garden about 30 ft from the door. Only time its a pain is when snow drifts knee high..
I have an ash pan too, and the ash goes to the garden, but the pan is small, have to empty it once a day when burning 24/7, its easier to just leave the bucket outside the door and dump the pan in there...only have to empty the bucket once every 3 weeks to a month...

My pan is 12" wide, about 20" deep and 4" high. I heat shocked my cast iron grate and it broke and now has a large hole in the center so I have to let the ashes build... Otherwise normal 27/7 burning needs too be emptied 3-4 days, maybe 5 if its warmer out.

10 gallon galv. with lid also...mines around 30 years old, my dad had it when he burned in his old house, I got it when I started burning about 6 years ago, it looks just like the new ones sold today but much heavier material...
Wish I could find an old one like that. The one I have is showing rust already and I just bought it last year.

Old ink bucket that is metal and is 5 gallons. Some local printing shop had them for free. I pile the ashes in and place about 15 yards away from the house on gravel. I leave for a week or until they get rained or snowed on. Works great so far.

I have a steel 3 gallon designed for ash in the basement - empty to the garden once or twice a year. The outdoor furnace produces 2-4 gallons a week - I use a galvanized wash bucket to transport it. Most of it goes to the field in a sandy spot unless I have been burning good hardwood then it might to the garden. Sometimes I put some on the yard. Seems to help green up when dry with the potash. When soybeans are in the field they seem to do better in dry spells where I put the ashes.

I have caught the compost pile on fire a few times. I only dump live ash out if it is raining or snow on the ground. Otherwise it sits in the covered bucket for a few days in the driveway.

I really like Amazing Prime... :)!
Me, too. Last year, early Deecember, I got an email from them offering a free month. I grabbed it and saved something like $300 in Christmas shopping. They got me on the hook, though, but for the $99 yearly, I get hundreds of dollars of free 2-day shipping. It's a great deal for me as I live in a rural area and have to order stuff through mail anyway.

I use a kitchen pan to empty ashes out of the stove. I put the pan in the stove, sift ashes into the pan, then put the lid on before taking it outside. That way, the draft draws any stirred up ash back into the stove. Ash then goes into a 10 gallon galvanized trash can with lid. Porch is concrete so I don't worry about embers.

Does anybody use one of these, or just me?
th
I usually empty the stove out once ever 20-30 days when it gets nice out. Then I take several bucket loads out and dump it on the snow, usually takes 3-5 trips.

I use old galvanized wash tubs. Not the real big ons. They are nice and wide so I can kind of lay shovelfuls of ash in instead of dropping and getting ashes floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a collection of metal foundation coating buckets. 4 of them, about 5 gallons each. I try to keep them mostly full, as I use the ash to spread on the driveway when it gets icey. Never know when things will suddenly go icey, and I have a long hilly driveway. Have a big old square handmade metal ash box on standby that's been in the family for generations. It likely holds 10 gallons, but it's a bear to carry far when it's full, the way it's made & the handle is situated. Almost a bear when it's empty. Sure is rugged though.

You guys are great! 40 minutes later I get so many responses and thanks to Amazon prime I have my Behrens 6 gallon coming Thurs!

I got the 6 gallon Behrens pail delivered earlier this week and am overall impressed with it. $17 shipped. Everything looks well made, seams appear solid, lid fits tight and the handle locks it in place very tight, welds look good, doesn't seem cheap or flimsy. The body of it tapers up more than the pictures show which makes it easier to shovel the ashes in. It's about 5" wider at the mouth than a standard 5 gallon pail. It's not heavy gauge metal but it's not aluminum foil either and overall, thicker than what I was expecting to get. Time will tell how it works out, but for now, I consider it money well spent, and from my first impressions and first few uses of it, I would gladly buy another one.

I got the 6 gallon Behrens pail delivered earlier this week and am overall impressed with it. $17 shipped. Everything looks well made, seams appear solid, lid fits tight and the handle locks it in place very tight, welds look good, doesn't seem cheap or flimsy. The body of it tapers up more than the pictures show which makes it easier to shovel the ashes in. It's about 5" wider at the mouth than a standard 5 gallon pail. It's not heavy gauge metal but it's not aluminum foil either and overall, thicker than what I was expecting to get. Time will tell how it works out, but for now, I consider it money well spent, and from my first impressions and first few uses of it, I would gladly buy another one.

I've been using that for a few years and the stickers are still like new. Also use a 20~ gallon can with lid, about 6 of so years old. Fill one and then the other. When they are both full I dump the first one. Fill it again and dump the second one. Gives plenty of time for the ashes to die off.

Back