Ash Snag, Beech Snag, Firewood, 372xp= Full Day of work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had the rare opportunity to spend a weekday working for myself, rather than for someone else. That being said, I decided to play outside all day: I split some hickory, dragged way too much brush, dropped a large Ash snag, and bucked up some rounds for firewood. Saved a nice 10ft section of ash for the farmer to make lumber out of. I really put the 372 w/ a 28"bar+full comp Oregon LGX to work today and was really really happy with the results.

Picture of Ash before my Husky went to lunch on it.
ashsnag.jpg

My Husky wanted me to be safe so it told me to ducktap the trigger at WOT then stuff it in the Ash tree and step back...I did and all I have to say is WOW, Amazing results. Note to Husky owners: listen to your Husky when she talks to you.
IMG_2503.jpg

Picture after my Husky got to it.
ashsnagafter1.jpg

Husky taking a break after such a big meal:
husky28bar.jpg

Last edited:
Give that sweet little Husky a rub down with armor all, for lookin' out for ya!!:D

That's a nice snag on the Ash. I'm burning some right now, and miss having them around. Dadgum EAB!!!!!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

wvlogger; said:
nice hsky and nice work. i take it that ash is a good fire wood?
I like burning it. Ash splits like a dream by hand. Seems to have a decent stove life. Not like Hickory by any means but it does well enough for me.
dingeryote; said:
Give that sweet little Husky a rub down with armor all, for lookin' out for ya!!That's a nice snag on the Ash. I'm burning some right now, and miss having them around. Dadgum EAB!!!!!!!
Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Dingeryote, I didn't give the husky any armor all rub down but I did lube the needle bearing after cleaning up all the frozen sawdust from inside the chain sprocket/clutch cover.
forestryworks; said:
nice job. i plan to get a husky soon.
To me the 346 and the 372 are the best two tools for what I do. I don't need any other saws. I can cover everything with just those.

Last edited:
I like burning it. Seems to have a decent stove life. Not like Hickory by any means but it does well enough for me.

Dingeryote, I didn't give the husky any armor all rub down but I did lube the needle bearing after cleaning up all the frozen sawdust from inside the chain sprocket/clutch cover.

To me the 346 and the 372 are the best two tools for what I do. I don't need any other saws. I can cover everything with just those.

I agree, the 372 and the 346 are an excellent combo if you run huskys. They are both great saws.

Yessiree that is what big sawen irons is all about. We cut two just like it last fall in our part of Ohio but we had the other orange brand, LOL Looks like hurricane Ohio damage form last fall? Wood like that sure makes a load in the pick up in a hurry.

Yessiree that is what big sawen irons is all about. We cut two just like it last fall in our part of Ohio but we had the other orange brand, LOL Looks like hurricane Ohio damage form last fall? Wood like that sure makes a load in the pick up in a hurry.

You got it Butch: last fall's wind damaged trees. There are at least 6 more just like this but I won't get to them until I finish this tree and a hickory I have down in another field. Yes sir, tons of wood going to come out of that tree along with a few good boards I hope.

You got it Butch: last fall's wind damaged trees. There are at least 6 more just like this but I won't get to them until I finish this tree and a hickory I have down in another field. Yes sir, tons of wood going to come out of that tree along with a few good boards I hope.

rngrchad,

If ya would. Eyeball that wood for little "D" shaped holes in the bark.

EAB infected ash seems to fall easier than the healthy ones.
That little patch of Ash might also be infected and needing attention or clearing...That would suck.:cry:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

sounds and looks just like my last sunday....feels good great job. wish i took some pics im going back for another one this comming sunday ill be sure to bring the camera.

rngrchad,
If ya would. Eyeball that wood for little "D" shaped holes in the bark.
Dingeryote, pretty much every Ash tree that is down is down because of the Emerald Ash Borrer disease. There are severe infestations of carpenter ants as well. The first ten to fifteen ft of trunk seems to be rotted out on the inside with numerous burrowed holes weaving withing the trunk.
Bushman_269; said:
The butt in the last pic looks like it had carpenter ants living in it.
Yeh, lots of dead ants. Good eye!

Back