ASH Tree is Dieing What Tree To Replace It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a ASH tree that is dieing and more than likely will be dead by Spring. I would like to know which would be a nice tree to replace it with? Compared with a ASH tree.

I live in Northwest Ohio and have clay soil.

I throught that a BIg Leaf Sweetgum would be nice, but no one has them. They all told me that they had them years ago, is there a problem with them?

This would be a street tree. An faces West.

I'd go with an oak or a maple of some kind. You can get them pretty big and they should fill in that spot nicely.

To help with your selection, something long-lived and deep-rooting is best for a street tree. Also, make sure you verify with your Utility companies that there are no pipelines or cables buried in the area where you're planting as you don't want to damage something unknowingly.

More specifically, I think Swamp White Oak (I have 3 of these planted in my yard, they are great trees) would be a nice choice for a street tree, it's native to Ohio and grows quicker than other Oaks, so you won't have to wait 57 years for it to reach full maturity. Many types of Oaks are nice street trees because the wood is strong and the branch structure is ideal, they also have a very long life span. Avoid tree species that will easily break in wind, ice, or snow storms (such as Bradford Pear, Silver Maple, Cottonwood, or Poplars). Sweetgums are nice trees but their roots are quite shallow, so they may not make the best street trees. Maples also put out shallow roots which can disrupt paved surfaces such as driveways, sidewalks, and streets. You want something with deep roots which is another reason why an Oak is a good choice (the only Oak with shallow rooting habits, that I'm aware of, is Pin Oak).

Here is a more comprehensive list of recommended street trees, Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor) is on that list...

http://www.urbantree.org/list_trees.asp?t=street

Last edited:
Out of the trees mentioned which is the cleanest tree?

I see that you have Ash trees listed, what is the change of getting Emmery Ash bore?

Any deciduous tree will shed leaves in the Fall, can't get around that; the larger the tree, the more leaves you'll have to rake in the Fall. Maples produce lots of helicopter seeds, so in addition to being messy in the Fall, they are messy in the Late Spring when their seeds mature and fall to the ground. Oaks drop acorns once they are mature, other than that they don't leave much of a mess at all, nowhere near as much mess as a Silver Maple or Cottonwood. All 3 of my Swamp White Oaks are still somewhat small, I don't have to clean up after them at all, they drop a handful of acorns every Fall and the leaves make great compost/lawn fertilizer once they drop in late Autumn.

Emerald Ash borer is a widespread problem in the US, this year it has made its way into WNY and has been all over the News. You can treat young or established Ash trees with Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub to prevent Emerald Ash Borer or to eliminate an existing infestation, IF caught early enough.

Last edited:
I purchased a Katsura tree 2 years ago and am very happy with how it is growing. Very nice shade tree in my opinion.

Cercidiphyllum japonicum
Katsura Tree
zones 4-8

Description: Heart-shaped leaves emerge with a red tinge in spring. Apricot-yellow fall color. Rounded form.
Bloom Color: Green
Bloom Time: Spring
Foliage Color: Green, yellow fall color
Height: 40'
Spread: 25'

Has anyone seen or have a Big Leaf Sweet gum tree?

Swamp Oak do they need a lot of water or a wet area to grow?

I do have a Amber Ash tree in front of the house, I hope that it will not get Emile Ash Bore. What do you think?

Has anyone seen or have a Big Leaf Sweet gum tree?

Swamp Oak do they need a lot of water or a wet area to grow?

I do have a Amber Ash tree in front of the house, I hope that it will not get Emile Ash Bore. What do you think?

Sorry to say but it will get it the borer eventually. We are seeing it throughout Indiana this year and I know Ohio has it bad too.

Swamp White Oaks do not need a lot of water, they tolerate drought quite well but can survive and thrive in low-lying wetlands where other trees often will not grow. Swamp White Oaks are simply more adaptable to poor drainage areas (i.e. flat fields with lots of heavy clay soil), but they will of course grow just as well in a well-drained landscape. Their watering requirements are no more demanding than any other oak.

Invest in some Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub from your local Home Depot, Walmart, or Sears hardware store. It runs about $12 per bottle and will prevent and/or kill Emerald Ash Borer for up to 12 months. Bayer Advanced contains imidacloprid which trees absorb through their roots systemically, so it provides great general protection against other insects in addition to Emerald Ash Borer. One bottle will treat a very large tree, or a smaller tree many times over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back